IGNORED

Can't take a practice hack

ditchparrot19
Note: This thread is 3098 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I only take a practice swing if I'm not certain how the club with interact with the ground and turf.  I never take practice swings off the tee or from the fairway.

Joe Paradiso

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I'm not much of a practice swinger anymore. I'll do one slow rehearsal if I'm working on a particular feel but even then I stop the backswing at A3. True practice swings are reserved for awkward shots and short game shots.

• Upvote 1

:callaway: Big Bertha Alpha 815 DBD  :bridgestone: TD-03 Putter   
:tmade: 300 Tour 3W                 :true_linkswear: Motion Shoes
:titleist: 585H Hybrid                       
:tmade: TP MC irons                 
:ping: Glide 54             
:ping: Glide 58
:cleveland: 588 RTX 62

Sometimes I do, and sometimes I don't. It just depends on the shot I have, or the lie of the ball. I think a lot of times I just do it with out thinking about it. 

For the OP I would recommend what ever feels right for you.  You are correct about practice swings sometimes being better than the real deal. That ball getting in the way can sometimes  make a good swing a bad swing. Lol.

This video has a cheesy presentation that I kind of got a kick out of but I may try a couple of the tips at the end... Your right about that ball getting in the way sometimes it does for me anyway.

Id say get down to the range and go through a full shit routine on each shot, eventually it will become a habit and you will do it all the time without thinking. 

For me I take one swing maybe two if it's a tricky shot, get behind the ball pick a target then get into the shot then go. 

• Upvote 1

WITB

Callaway Big Berth Alpha Driver 9* Stiff shaft

Adams 18 DHY

Titliest AP2 3-PW Project X 5.5

Nike VR 56*

Never Compromise Sub30 Type 40

My Swing

Id say get down to the range and go through a full shit routine on each shot, eventually it will become a habit and you will do it all the time without thinking. 

For me I take one swing maybe two if it's a tricky shot, get behind the ball pick a target then get into the shot then go. 

That might be embarrassing on the range, with kids and all, and no cover. But at least you'll get a good squat.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

That might be embarrassing on the range, with kids and all, and no cover. But at least you'll get a good squat.

haha never noticed that. I'll edit. 

WITB

Callaway Big Berth Alpha Driver 9* Stiff shaft

Adams 18 DHY

Titliest AP2 3-PW Project X 5.5

Nike VR 56*

Never Compromise Sub30 Type 40

My Swing

haha never noticed that. I'll edit. 

Leave it. It's a classic.

• Upvote 1

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

the only time id ever take a practice swing is when its a very difficult shot like under a tree, around a tree etc... otherwise i get up to the ball and hit it. same as the OP, i dont wanna waste good swings.

so im interested in hearing others

This would be me. I take a couple of practice swings on the 1st tee and that's about it. Unless I'm hitting a shot where some object might hit my club during my backswing or follow through. If I do take that rare practice swing. I find that I'm not swinging very hard compared to what I would do for the actually shot.

I do take a practice swing but it's more of a tempo swing to stay lose feel the club and relieve tension.  I don't take a practice swing with the same swing speed I use to actually hit the ball.  It's more of a slow gravity "brush" of the grass.  I think "back and through, back and through".  I usually take about 2 as I am behind the ball as a part of my pre-shot routine.  I then walk up and step in with my right foot, align the clubface then step in with my left and set my stance.

JP

In the bag:  R1 Diver, Rocketballz 3 tour spoon (13*), Adams A12 pro 18* hybrid, 4-P Callaway Razr x black (dg s400 shafts), 50* & 58* Ping Tour S, and TM Ghost Manta Putter cut down to 32". and my Tour V2 Rangefinder (with extra batteries of course)!  Ball - Srixon Z Star XV

Ya taking practice swings are very important. If I don't take a practice swing I feel uncomforable. Just watch the pros, every single one of them take practice swings. Although too many practice swings can be bad also.

I'm going to go out on a limb on this and say your wrong, every single pro ?

99% of the time, I take at least 1 practice swing.  It's not really a practice swing as much as it is a swing to get my joints all moving again.  I have really bad shoulder pains, and unless I get everything 'loose'... I can't make a decent swing.  So... I'll stand behind the ball, take 1 swing to make sure both shoulders have 'popped' into place, step up, align and then go for it.

If I'm in the rough, I'll usually take an additional swing relatively close to the ball to get a feel for the turf, but... otherwise, I'm good to go.  Around the green is another story.  It's usually a few practice swings to 'groove' what feeling I want to have for the distance I want to play the shot.

I don't think it matters if you take practice swings or not, as long as you're ready to go when it's your turn.  My preshot routine is usually being done while someone else is taking their turn.  It's rare that the ball leaves my clubface more than 30 seconds after the previous person has hit, unless it's on the tee.  

I played with a guy in a tournament last weekend who was VERY set in his routine and would easily take more than a full minute (sometimes closer to 90 seconds) to go through that routine regardless of if it was on the tee, the fairway, out of the rough, out of the trees, around the green or on the green.  We're very lucky that our entire group didn't get penalized because at one point about halfway through the round, we were 2 holes behind the group ahead of us.  I'm pretty sure they ran into some trouble at some point because we finished about 1 hole behind... but we could have very easily been penalized.  

Take a practice swing... don't take a practice swing... it doesn't matter to me providing you're ready to play when it's your turn!

CY

Career Bests
- 18 Holes - 72 (+1) - Par 71 - Pine Island Country Club - 6/25/2022
- 9 Holes - 36 (E) - Par 36 - Pine Island Country Club - 6/25/2022

I don't think it matters if you take practice swings or not, as long as you're ready to go when it's your turn.  My preshot routine is usually being done while someone else is taking their turn.  It's rare that the ball leaves my clubface more than 30 seconds after the previous person has hit, unless it's on the tee.  

I played with a guy in a tournament last weekend who was VERY set in his routine and would easily take more than a full minute (sometimes closer to 90 seconds) to go through that routine regardless of if it was on the tee, the fairway, out of the rough, out of the trees, around the green or on the green.  We're very lucky that our entire group didn't get penalized because at one point about halfway through the round, we were 2 holes behind the group ahead of us.  I'm pretty sure they ran into some trouble at some point because we finished about 1 hole behind... but we could have very easily been penalized.  

Take a practice swing... don't take a practice swing... it doesn't matter to me providing you're ready to play when it's your turn!

CY

I think this is interesting and is a reason some people don't take practice swings (fear of taking to long or feeling rushed).  There are plenty of threads on pace of play/pre-shot routines but I honestly think a proper pre-shot routine doesn't slow you down as much as a lot of people think.  I think the key as you mentioned is being ready when your up to at least start your routine.  People in general waste of lot of time sitting at the green writing scores down, putting clubs back in the bag vs. making one exchange when you go to pull your next club, talking on the tee box or not pre-reading your putt as your walking to the green and walking to you ball etc.

That being said, I do play with a guy that takes about 8-9 practice swings when it's his turn and doesn't start reading his putt till its his go.  It feels like he takes FOR-EV-ERRRR. 

JP

In the bag:  R1 Diver, Rocketballz 3 tour spoon (13*), Adams A12 pro 18* hybrid, 4-P Callaway Razr x black (dg s400 shafts), 50* & 58* Ping Tour S, and TM Ghost Manta Putter cut down to 32". and my Tour V2 Rangefinder (with extra batteries of course)!  Ball - Srixon Z Star XV

I take practice swings but they are not part of my pre-shot routine. Sometimes I do sometimes I don't. Maybe if a did every time I would be more consistent. I will have to try that at the range some time.the only time I take more than one practice swing is when I wiff on the first attempt and no one was looking. Lol who has done this at least once? Be honest.?

1. LPGA Square Two Melody driver 
  2. Callaway Steelhead Plus 5 W
  3. Adamsgolf Idea 4i hybrid 
  4. Answer 6 iron 
  5. Answer 8 iron 
  6. LH Golfsmith Tour Model IV PW
  7. AdamsGolf GTxtreme LW
  8. LH Ping Zing Magnesium Bronze

I take practice swings but they are not part of my pre-shot routine. Sometimes I do sometimes I don't. Maybe if a did every time I would be more consistent. I will have to try that at the range some time.the only time I take more than one practice swing is when I wiff on the first attempt and no one was looking. Lol who has done this at least once? Be honest.?

I have hit some ugly shots over the last 42 years, Topping the ball, hitting it of the toe, shanking it, hitting it fat or thin. To be Honest though, I have not Wiffed on a golf ball since I was 7 years old.

So 17,  you are gripping the clubhead and swinging the grip end?  Must be something going on 'down under' that could give any kind of positive feedback from that set-up.

I've seen that done by others, but have never tried it myself. As others have pointed out, though, a consistent pre-shot routine, whether it includes a practice swing or not, can only help.

I have hit some ugly shots over the last 42 years, Topping the ball, hitting it of the toe, shanking it, hitting it fat or thin. To be Honest though, I have not Wiffed on a golf ball since I was 7 years old.

well la de da. Good for you under ten hcp. Ha-ha just kidding. I struggled the last time I played and whiffed on one. I was exhausted on the back nine. Bad shoulder, bad hip. I seriously thought about not counting it but it didn't matter. It was on one of five blow up holes I had. Terrible round. It is tempting to say it is a practice swing when it happens which is very rare normally for me as well.

1. LPGA Square Two Melody driver 
  2. Callaway Steelhead Plus 5 W
  3. Adamsgolf Idea 4i hybrid 
  4. Answer 6 iron 
  5. Answer 8 iron 
  6. LH Golfsmith Tour Model IV PW
  7. AdamsGolf GTxtreme LW
  8. LH Ping Zing Magnesium Bronze

My routine is to grab my club, stand six feet behind the ball 90 degrees to the line, take a swing to loosen my back while looking down the target line, line up my shot, adjust my grip, step into the shot, take a breath and let it out, rip it.

On a difficult shot from a difficult lie.... especially during a tournament.... after adjusting my grip, add... stand two feet left of my shot, take four practice swings to test the ground, then walk back and check my shot line, re-adjust my grip, step into the shot, take a breath, let it out, and hit the knockdown. Last time I stuffed it 12 feet from hole with a 6 iron knockdown under branches between two tight trees and a blind approach. I grabbed bill of my hat with my thumb and forefinger as I walked back to my cart. ;-)

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

It is nice to see that I am not the only player who doesn't always take a practice swing.  I was wondering if I was doing it all wrong.  I almost always swing the club in my hand before stepping up to my shot, but that is more just to feel the club (weight, shape) moving through the air and remind me how the club is going to feel when I actually do swing it.  I don't think that qualifies as a practice swing as I am not going through a bunch of other stuff, not so concerned about stance and set up and all that.  

I do take a few practice swings when I have an unnatural lie, ball above feet on a hill, or below feet.  Rough stuff, under some branches, close to a tree, etc.  When I get around the green I will do a few practice swings, just want to get that feeling of holding a tube of toothpaste and sweeping the grass feel from whatever the lie is, especially if its on a hill or something.

Note: This thread is 3098 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!