IGNORED

First time out

golfcarte
Note: This thread is 3653 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Being in a place where there are winters, and this year, then some, I finally got out to the driving range for the first time this year, anticipating playing nine holes later in the week. To say I was rusty was an understatement. Having to hit off a mat because the grass tees were closed, I couldn't get the ball airborne. I finally gave up and decided to hit off the rubber white tee. Luckily I had an epiphany when the thought entered my head, 'go down after the ball'. I decided to hit off the mat again, consciously attempting to hit the mat with the ball, and had good results. The ball went airborne, it went straight, I was able to hit the sweet spot on the face. Then I ran out of balls. I considered it a good session, hitting the ball better at the end than at the beginning. It doesn't always go that way.

The true test will be when I hit the course. We'll see how it goes.

I wish you the best. Taking time off from golf sucks. I hope you get some good shots in on your first time out -- and every subsequent visit to the course during the season!

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Ha...you should have seen me, hitting balls for the first time in over 10 yrs..LOL. You likey did far better than me. Anyhow, stick with it, I'm sure you'll get back in groove in no time.

My first time out is usually pretty good because I'm relaxed with no expectations.  The second time out I expect to shoot my handicap and everything goes to heck.   The third time out I ready to quit the game until about the 15th hole and something usually just clicks and I'm back in the groove with a few bad shots thrown in the mix.

My first time out is usually pretty good because I'm relaxed with no expectations.  The second time out I expect to shoot my handicap and everything goes to heck.   The third time out I ready to quit the game until about the 15th hole and something usually just clicks and I'm back in the groove with a few bad shots thrown in the mix.

This is EXACTLY what I do too!

First round is great, swing is good because I'm not thinking about anything, just let her rip.

Then as the season progresses you'd think I would get better? Nope, near the end of the season and I can't play worth a crap.

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha 10.5* 

3WD:  Callaway Big Bertha 15* / X2 Hot H4 Hybrid
Irons:  Callaway Apex 4-PW Project X 5.5 shafts

Wedges: Callaway MackDaddy 2  52/58
Putter: Odyessey Metal X Milled 1

well, i played my first round yesterday, sunny skies, temps in the high 60s, ground still wet from snow a couple of days before, and to say i was rusty was an understatement. i had one par on a par three, about 120 yards over water which i hit a little knuckler 8-iron to about 12 feet, and missed the putt. i actually whiffed the ball about a half a dozen times, hit the ball into, yes, into the ground on another occasion, and basically got my club stuck in the mud on any ball that got airborne. my score was high, that's all ill say, but in the words of tiger, i'm close. i feel like on a drier course i would've done better. i don't have much experience when it is wet.

well, i played my first round yesterday ... i feel like on a drier course i would've done better. i don't have much experience when it is wet.

You are probably correct.  I know when I play on a very wet course I often have problems hitting down and through the ball.  Subconsciously I know hitting down and through will result in a big splat with mud and water everywhere.  So my misses often are thin shots.

Brian Kuehn

Note: This thread is 3653 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!