IGNORED

Bubba Watson....Fan or not a fan?

inthehole
Note: This thread is 2923 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

10 members have voted

1. 1. Bubba - fan or not ??

• Yes
    • No

Just asking because I don't know...where and when did he scream and swear at his caddy?

My take on Watson.  He is kind of naturally an ass at times, but is also trying to do the right things and it does not always happen.  It is not easy to tame that part of yourself...I know about that, and I won't judge an athlete for it.

He does this all the time, but it caught by tv cameras last season at The Traveler's Champ.

Phil would NEVER talk to bones like this, and they've been together for 20 years.

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha 10.5* 

3WD:  Callaway Big Bertha 15* / X2 Hot H4 Hybrid
Irons:  Callaway Apex 4-PW Project X 5.5 shafts

Wedges: Callaway MackDaddy 2  52/58
Putter: Odyessey Metal X Milled 1

He does this all the time, but it caught by tv cameras last season at The Traveler's Champ. Phil would NEVER talk to bones like this, and they've been together for 20 years.

What screaming and swearing at his caddy?

Nate

:pxg:(10.5) :benhogan:(4W):titleist:U500(3UI) :benhogan: Icon(4-PW) :edel:(52/58)

:odyssey:Putter :snell: MTB Black  

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator

Yeah, exactly. Didn't see any such thing in that video.

Plus, everyone keeps citing the ONE most famous time he's done anything… and that one time is barely anything at all.

So…

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Whoever thinks that's "screaming and swearing" has led a sheltered life.

All of my old coaches and bosses are laughing their butt off right now.

I'm a fan.  I love his playing style and his love for creative shots and shaping the ball.  He can come across as a prick on the course but that doesn't bother me too much.  I think he is completely different outside of the tournament conditions and off the course.  You're playing for a lot of money and you have to be fully vested in what you are doing. A caddy-player relationship is unique to those two people and doesn't have to make sense to anyone but them - Think of two brothers- They know each other better than anyone else - can't you see blaming your brother in the moment because you didn't fully commit to a shot - then later looking back and realizing blaming him may have been wrong?... but you were venting - he knows that, you know that - in the end you're all good and you fully trust him...

Bubba fan - and a fan of his caddy.

JP

In the bag:  R1 Diver, Rocketballz 3 tour spoon (13*), Adams A12 pro 18* hybrid, 4-P Callaway Razr x black (dg s400 shafts), 50* & 58* Ping Tour S, and TM Ghost Manta Putter cut down to 32". and my Tour V2 Rangefinder (with extra batteries of course)!  Ball - Srixon Z Star XV

He might not be screaming at him, but he insulting him in from of thousands of people.

And then there's the France ordeal, where he didn't act professionally, got paid for appearance fees, and was a complete A-hole to everybody in France.

Oh, it gets better. After Bubba missed the cut, he blamed the poor security for his unenthusiastic showing at his first European Tour event, according to Reuters :

“It’s different for me, there’s cameras, there’s phones, there’s everything, no security,” a visibly disgruntled Watson told reporters. “I don’t know which holes to walk through, there’s no ropes. It’s something I’m not used to, I’m not comfortable with.”

European Tour tournament director David Probyn said the American would have to experience plenty of disturbance on his home tour, but did admit that course security was much more relaxed in Europe.

“You can’t ban everyone who is carrying a mobile phone,” the tour’s senior tournament director said. “It’s the same with cameras. You can’t scan everyone for a camera at every event, that would just make it hard for people to watch golf and we don’t want to do that.

- See more at: http://www.weiunderpar.com/post/shocker-bubba-acts-bubba-like-in-france#sthash.76Cs5zT7.dpuf

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha 10.5* 

3WD:  Callaway Big Bertha 15* / X2 Hot H4 Hybrid
Irons:  Callaway Apex 4-PW Project X 5.5 shafts

Wedges: Callaway MackDaddy 2  52/58
Putter: Odyessey Metal X Milled 1

Heck, even if Bubba did scream and swear at his caddy, I would gladly take the job for the kind of money that guy has been making in recent years. I agree with @MS256 , this "incident" has all been overly dramatized. Bubba seems like the type of guy to me that you just tell him, "hey your being an ass" and he will probably be the first to admit it and you both move on. It is not like he is going on twitter to bash other players, or making derogatory comments about women publicly.  Those are the truly unlikable types out there. If he has something to say he will say it right to you from what I have seen and I like that. There are two things people don't like about him, he is a bit of a ass at times and he is an somewhat outspoken Christian. To some it is obviously a frustrating contradiction, I think it is a bit refreshing to be honest.

• Upvote 1

Nate

:pxg:(10.5) :benhogan:(4W):titleist:U500(3UI) :benhogan: Icon(4-PW) :edel:(52/58)

:odyssey:Putter :snell: MTB Black  

Mixed feelings. Love his game and greatly admire that he is both self-taught and coachless. His unorthodox technique and total belief in it are an inspiration to golfers at all levels. Everything else about the guy I could take or leave.

Like others, I can appreciate the talent that he has, but no, I don't really like him and I wouldn't consider myself a fan of his.

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 
PXG 0211 Driver (Diamana S+ 60; 10.5°) · PXG 0211 FWs (Diamana S+ 60; 15° and 21°) · PXG 0211 Hybrids (MMT 80; 22°, 25°, and 28°) · PXG 0311P Gen 2 Irons (SteelFiber i95; 7-PW) · Edel Wedges (KBS Hi-Rev; 50°, 55°, 60°) · Edel Classic Blade Putter (32") · Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour · Pinned Prism Rangefinder · Star Grips · Flightscope Mevo · TRUE Linkswear Shoes · Sun Mountain C130S Bag

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

THIS is why I dig Bubba ... it is not just hitting driver off deck - it is playing a 50 yard intentional slice off the deck so it enters the green from the front on the only acceptable line  ------------------->

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

Maybe he has matured - better late then never for a 35 yr old. Maybe he can use his talent to win more PGA events and turn his career into one worthy of the Golf HoF?

--------------------------------------------------------

Freak-show play? Sure, but this Bubba has matured

“He had a lot of growing up to do as a dad and just accepting everything as it came,” said Angie of life after adoption and that first major. “It just took time as he said this week. To learn it all and to grow, to grow as a dad, to grow as a player. He has handled it remarkably well.”

http://golfweek.com/news/2014/apr/13/bubba-watson-masters-champion-2014-commentary/

-----------------------------------------------------------

"How much has Bubba grown up in the last couple of years?" Rickie Fowler was asked.

His response: "He's gone from like 12 and a half to 14."

I think golf needs players like Bubba. I am a fan of the way he plays golf.  I keep that separate from the personal side of him.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

• Administrator

I think golf needs players like Bubba. I am a fan of the way he plays golf.  I keep that separate from the personal side of him.

Ditto. Couldn't care much less about the personal lives of golfers. Just what they do on the golf course. Y'know, like a real golf fan.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

THIS is why I dig Bubba ... it is not just hitting driver off deck - it is playing a 50 yard intentional slice off the deck so it enters the green from the front on the only acceptable line  ------------------->

Who could forget!!

Surprised the poll is 70:30 fan. A week ago, I think it may have been reversed. He almost even won me over this past weekend with the way he played and maybe more impressively, the way he maintained his composure. But alas, he'll need a few more like performances to overcome the negatives in my mind. Not a fan...yet.

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

Note: This thread is 2923 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!