IGNORED

Bubba Watson....Fan or not a fan?

inthehole
Note: This thread is 2897 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

10 members have voted

1. 1. Bubba - fan or not ??

• Yes
    • No

I wouldn't call myself a "fan" but I do enjoy when he is near the top of the leaderboard.   I can't remember what hole it was exactly but watching him hit that huge sweeping draw is pretty sweet.

Tony  

:titleist:    |   :tmade:   |     :cleveland: 

Ditto. Couldn't care much less about the personal lives of golfers. Just what they do on the golf course. Y'know, like a real golf fan.

That is a legitimate way to look at this. However, another way is that if one is a "real golf fan" one is concerned with the integrity of the game; concerned with the game not becoming the NFL (which I love!) or the NBA where arrogance is the norm and players seem to have a real need to let you know they are great instead of just performing and letting others intimate such. Of course, golf is never going to become the chest-bumping, crazed "sorry receiver like Crabtree" environment, but respect for the other player and those around the golfer must still be practiced. It is what separates golf just as the reverence for Augusta separates the Masters.

Some still feel golf is more than entertainment; it has life lessons within. Such as treat others the same no matter if one has shanked or one has sank a birdie. Maybe this is old fashioned, as I am, but it is still something worth keeping.

Criteria for approval of general sports fans:

1. Win.

2. Be fun to watch.

Criteria for approval of golf fans:

1. Meet each individual fan's complete approval in personality traits.

2. Be fun to watch.

3. Win.

The odds that "golf fan" has somebody in the hunt on a Sunday that meets his criteria are slim each week.

Tiger brings in the "general sports fan" that only use that criteria.

No wonder ratings struggle when Tiger isn't around. "Golf fan" doesn't like anybody in the hunt because of something or another in number 1 and "general sports fan" doesn't give a crap until somebody as compelling as Tiger comes along with a chance to break records.

(Tongue in cheek with a glimmer of truth).

• Upvote 1

I haven't seen this mentioned to much, but I believe Bubba has ADD. Which isn't a excuse, but depending on the person, you sometimes have a very difficult time with thinking before saying something(a "pause" if you will) you will regret. I know, because I have bad ADD(costs me jobs, saying inappropriate things to bosses and customers). I DO NOT like the bible talk and think every athlete should never talk about religion or politics in the public. I'm a eccentric guy and I believe a lot of people with ADD are "wired" a little different from "normal" people, so I can understand some of his "downfalls/comments", but I don't like his talking about his religious beliefs in interviews (like today on Morning drive).

Like others have said, I am not a fan of those who spew "jesusy" remarks and cry all the time.  His golf game is fun to watch tho.

In my bag

Driver:      SLDR 10.5*

Hybrids:   Taylormade RBZ Stage 2

Irons:       NikeVR PRO 4-PW

Wedges:   Nike VR Pro 50* 54* 58*

Putter:      2014 Newport 2

Ball:          E6

Like others have said, I am not a fan of those who spew "jesusy" remarks and cry all the time.  His golf game is fun to watch tho.

I don't mind someone talking about their beliefs, religious or otherwise. What I don't like about Bubba is that he appears hypocritical when he does it. When you're treating your caddy or fans like crap then spew the religious talk, it comes off badly.

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I don't mind someone talking about their beliefs, religious or otherwise. What I don't like about Bubba is that he appears hypocritical when he does it. When you're treating your caddy or fans like crap then spew the religious talk, it comes off badly.

I disagree.  And here's why:

Heck, even if Bubba did scream and swear at his caddy, I would gladly take the job for the kind of money that guy has been making in recent years. I agree with @MS256, this "incident" has all been overly dramatized. Bubba seems like the type of guy to me that you just tell him, "hey your being an ass" and he will probably be the first to admit it and you both move on. It is not like he is going on twitter to bash other players, or making derogatory comments about women publicly.  Those are the truly unlikable types out there. If he has something to say he will say it right to you from what I have seen and I like that. There are two things people don't like about him, he is a bit of a ass at times and he is an somewhat outspoken Christian. To some it is obviously a frustrating contradiction, I think it is a bit refreshing to be honest.

Not saying I'm a fan (I'm in the middle somewhere), but the argument that you can't have strong religious beliefs unless you are a perfect person is pretty silly.  Having issues with anger, or just general character flaws, or anything at all that is considered "negative" doesn't disallow you from worshipping Jesus, or any other God.  There is nothing hypocritical about it at all.

• Upvote 1

I think Bubba's issues are anxiety. He seems way anxious all the time so maybe he snaps at people just because he is so anxious. And when I saw him at the northern trust. His caddy was a pretty big dick to people. So who knows

For Sale: Ping i3+ 2i-UW

Callaway X Hot Driver

Callaway FTI Driver

Odyssey Versa Black/White LH Putter

I disagree.  And here's why:

Not saying I'm a fan (I'm in the middle somewhere), but the argument that you can't have strong religious beliefs unless you are a perfect person is pretty silly.  Having issues with anger, or just general character flaws, or anything at all that is considered "negative" doesn't disallow you from worshipping Jesus, or any other God.  There is nothing hypocritical about it at all.

Not a single person in a single church is perfect. If they were they would have no need for church.

I think Bubba's issues are anxiety. He seems way anxious all the time so maybe he snaps at people just because he is so anxious. And when I saw him at the northern trust. His caddy was a pretty big dick to people. So who knows

From what I've heard his caddy doesn't mind giving crap back to him. Like somebody said earlier a player/caddy relationship can be like a brother/brother relationship. Some brothers fight like cats and dogs and are getting along just fine the whole time. Other brothers may be different and have an argument and never speak to each other for years.

If they are satisfied duking it out who in the heck cares? SMH! :-D

Quote:
Originally Posted by boogielicious View Post

I think golf needs players like Bubba. I am a fan of the way he plays golf.  I keep that separate from the personal side of him.

Couldn't agreee more if I tried.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iacas View Post

Ditto. Couldn't care much less about the personal lives of golfers. Just what they do on the golf course. Y'know, like a real golf fan.

Ditto +++

Quote:
Originally Posted by MS256 View Post

Criteria for approval of general sports fans:

1. Win.

2. Be fun to watch.

Criteria for approval of golf fans:

1. Meet each individual fan's complete approval in personality traits.

2. Be fun to watch.

3. Win.

The odds that "golf fan" has somebody in the hunt on a Sunday that meets his criteria are slim each week.

Tiger brings in the "general sports fan" that only use that criteria.

No wonder ratings struggle when Tiger isn't around. "Golf fan" doesn't like anybody in the hunt because of something or another in number 1 and "general sports fan" doesn't give a crap until somebody as compelling as Tiger comes along with a chance to break records.

(Tongue in cheek with a glimmer of truth).

Ditto ++++++

I was at the range yesterday and the 2 guys beside me had the following conversation. I found it funny given that this thread came up yesterday

Guy 1: I'm not sure I like Bubba, he seems like a di@k

Guy 2: Yea, I know what you mean

Guy 1: I mean like that stuff that happened here                        (This convo was taking place in CT, so he's reffering to the Travelers' Championship)

Guy 2: Yea I don't even think he's won since his last masters   (Wrong)

Guy 1: No, don't think so.

It's amazing how far people take that incident as the norm of his personality. I wouldn't wanna be judged so crazily based on one instance....an overblown one at that.

Either golf has some really perfect people as fans, or it has some of the prissiest people as fans.

Nike Covert 2.0 10.5* with Fujikura Motore F3 Stiff Flex
Nike Covert 2.0 3 Wood 15* Kuro Kage X-stiff 71g
Nike Covert 2.0 21* 3 hybrid Kuro Kage X-stiff 85g
Nike VR Pro Combo CB 4--PW
Nike VR Pro forged 50, 56, 58
Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5

There's no way that you can say Bubba's temper is a one time circumstance.  Look up the article where Ted Scott told him he was quitting as his caddy if he didn't get his temper under control on the golf course.  I don't have time to look right now, but should be easy to find.  Seems like Bubba has calmed down since then, but I'm just pointing out that this isn't a one time thing. Your caddy doesn't threaten to leave over 1 instance of losing your temper.

Also, Steve Elkington incident, which I know, Elk is known as a jerk also, but I thought Bubba was pretty harsh considering he knew he was on TV.  Elkington shouldn't walk in front of him, but probably didn't need to say "Kiss my A$$" on national TV.  Plenty of other guys on Tour wouldn't have reacted that way. All I'm saying is, it's no secret that Bubba has a temper.  Some people don't mind, but others do.

Jamie Diaz wrote a good article in a recent issue of GolfWorld magazine about the lack of "color" in today's game. He talks about how the modern players are so stoic, so composed, so unflappable that it has almost taken some of the character out of the game. I think the criticism of Bubba and (to a lesser extent) Patrick Reed is a bit overblown. We don't want these guys to be robots, but we blast them when they show the slightest bit of temperament.

Personally, I don't mind Bubba's temper one bit. He isn't one of my favorite players, but I think he is good for the game.

Jamie Diaz wrote a good article in a recent issue of GolfWorld magazine about the lack of "color" in today's game. He talks about how the modern players are so stoic, so composed, so unflappable that it has almost taken some of the character out of the game. I think the criticism of Bubba and (to a lesser extent) Patrick Reed is a bit overblown. We don't want these guys to be robots, but we blast them when they show the slightest bit of temperament.

Personally, I don't mind Bubba's temper one bit. He isn't one of my favorite players, but I think he is good for the game.

I respect your opinion, but telling your playing partner to "Kiss my A$$" , while on the golf course, is more than showing a slight bit of temperament.  Tell him that in the locker room or something.  I don't like robots either. I think you can have tons of personality and character without being harsh to people.  See, Arnold Palmer, Lee Trevino, Chi Chi Rodriguez, Peter Jacobsen, Fred Couples

I respect your opinion, but telling your playing partner to "Kiss my A$$" , while on the golf course, is more than showing a slight bit of temperament.

Background please???

I respect your opinion, but telling your playing partner to "Kiss my A$$" , while on the golf course, is more than showing a slight bit of temperament.  Tell him that in the locker room or something.  I don't like robots either. I think you can have tons of personality and character without being harsh to people.  See, Arnold Palmer, Lee Trevino, Chi Chi Rodriguez, Peter Jacobsen, Fred Couples

I would have said the same thing but would have sounded a lot meaner when I said it.

I'm not so sure that those other guys you listed wouldn't have also said the same thing.

Watch the video I posted.  Again, Elkington was in the wrong, but Bubba could have handled it differently.

We have all seen the video. I agree he could have handled it differently. I think he could have actually gotten angry with him. I have no problem with what he did there.

Nate

:pxg:(10.5) :benhogan:(4W):titleist:U500(3UI) :benhogan: Icon(4-PW) :edel:(52/58)

:odyssey:Putter :snell: MTB Black  

Watch the video I posted.  Again, Elkington was in the wrong, but Bubba could have handled it differently.

Whoops, sorry, I didn't see that you already posted it.  Thanks.

I gotta be honest ... I don't understand people who form strong opinions about something or someone based on so little information.  Elkington did something that irritated Bubba (walking in his vision while he was trying to play) and from what he says, it was happening all that day and the previous day.  I also could not hear what Elk said to Bubba just prior to the comment.  I also don't know their history.  Further, how you do know that he knew he was on television?

And on top of all of that, even if you gave me all of the background info to prove that he was in the wrong ... is he not allowed to make a mistake?  I said GD in front of my son the other day because my stupid remote stopped working while fast forwarding during the Masters.  Does that make me a horrible person?  It was a "heat of the moment" mistake.  Who doesn't have those?

Note: This thread is 2897 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!