• Announcements

• iacas

Create a Signature!   02/05/2016

Everyone, go here and edit your signature this week: http://thesandtrap.com/settings/signature/.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ChiWriter

SHAFT QUESTION - ALDILA NV PROTOPYPE 70-S STIFF DRIVER - Matching for irons?

4 posts in this topic

Hey All,

I just found this place and I'm loving it so much.  Great forums, great info.

I recently picked up a used TaylorMade R7 10.5 driver.  The weights are fairly 'standard with a 12 and a 14 on the back slots and 2 gram weights on the sides... so it isn't weighted for much of a draw or fade.

Point is, I hit the heck out of it.  My swing speed is between 100 and 105 mph on my driver and I'm consistently hitting in the 240 range  (give or take 10 yards depending on the biggest variable... me). The best part is I'm also hitting it straight with amazing consistency.

The thing that I realized that these results are probably more to do the shaft on this driver than the head.  I've tried the same head and close to the same weights with other shafts and not seen anywhere near the same results.  (I have this luxury because my PGATOUR Superstore has a big selection of used clubs).

It has an Aldila NV Protopype 70-S on it (the gold one).

I'm contemplating re-shafting my irons to try and get a similar kick and flex, but I wasn't sure what a good match would be either from Aldila or from another maker.

Any thoughts on what a good match would be in iron shafts?

Thanks in advance.

Dave from Chicago

Want to get rid of this advertisement? Sign up (or log in) today! It's free!

Welcome to the forum @ChiWriter .  I would be careful matching your iron shafts to your driver.  The driver swing is different from the iron swing.  What irons and shafts do you have now?  How do you like how they perform for you including ball flight?  Have you ever been fitted for irons?

These are important questions that a fitter would ask.  Your swing speed is pretty fast, so there are a number of iron shafts that could work for your swing.

Awards and Achievements

Hiya Boogielicious,

Currently, I have two sets.  I'm fairly old-school.  I have a set of Wilson 1200 GEs.  I love the feel of these heads, but they were all over the map in terms of consistency and I realized that they have regular-flex shafts on them and my swing is to fast, so sometimes I pull, sometimes I launch them an extra 10 yards... I'm just not consistent with them.  To give you an idea of how old-school, my other woods are a three and a five persimmon with True Temper Dynamic stiff shafts.

My other set is a set of TaylorMade Burners with the bubble graphite shaft S-90.  These are very consistent for me... but I just don't like them as much. They don't feel as good in my hands or at contact.

Honestly, I'm tempted to re-shaft my 1200 GEs (after getting their lofts checked).  I like how they look at set up, and I like how you almost can't hear my swing at contact, just a whoosh as I launch the ball.

I'm absolutely not thinking about trying to get the same shaft as the driver.

I think you are right.  I really do need to get fitted and take it from there.

Hiya Boogielicious,

Currently, I have two sets.  I'm fairly old-school.  I have a set of Wilson 1200 GEs.  I love the feel of these heads, but they were all over the map in terms of consistency and I realized that they have regular-flex shafts on them and my swing is to fast, so sometimes I pull, sometimes I launch them an extra 10 yards... I'm just not consistent with them.  To give you an idea of how old-school, my other woods are a three and a five persimmon with True Temper Dynamic stiff shafts.

My other set is a set of TaylorMade Burners with the bubble graphite shaft S-90.  These are very consistent for me... but I just don't like them as much. They don't feel as good in my hands or at contact.

Honestly, I'm tempted to re-shaft my 1200 GEs (after getting their lofts checked).  I like how they look at set up, and I like how you almost can't hear my swing at contact, just a whoosh as I launch the ball.

I'm absolutely not thinking about trying to get the same shaft as the driver.

I think you are right.  I really do need to get fitted and take it from there.

I think you will be much happier if you do.  I got fitted with my Mizuno's MP-57s and he changed the shaft.  I like the heads and wanted to keep them.

Awards and Achievements

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Want to join this community?

We'd love to have you!

• 2016 TST Partners

GAME Golf
    PING Golf
    Lowest Score Wins
    • The Most Common Swing Flaw
      I'm sure there will be arguments later but there is one piece of information I think a lot of golfers can benefit from. I hope to save some people from buying the online swing tip scams. The most common flaw I see in swings is rotating the forearms one way or the other. Most people don't realize you don't have to rotate your forearms or hands at all in the golf swing, in fact it's better if you don't. The arms can stay just as square as they are at address. The arms follow the rotation of the shoulders on the plane. The arms slightly trail the body on the through swing, creating some additional lag to hip lag, and then eventually they pass the body much later. The club face can stay as square as it was at impact the whole time, many PGA  pros do this. Hunter Mahan is a good example. The only movement the arms really have to make is an up and down one. There is a popular drill where students are told to pick the club straight up from address, hinge it, and rest it on their right shoulder (for righties), and then turn the shoulders 90 degrees and voila, the top of the backswing. To get to this position people will do all kinds of arm and hand contortions all over the place, which is fine. The only problem is, is on the way down, you don't want to be doing these things, and the law of physics states that every action has an equal and opposite reaction, so you will likely do going down what you did going up, just in reverse. All you really have to do is rotate your shoulders and let the arms stay connected as they were at address, after all this is why you've spent so much time working on the set up position! The swing is a moving and rotating set up position. Some people actually get to the top perfectly, but then insist on going way beyond parallel, ruining the glorious work! The problem here is, the more your arms lift past your shoulders, the more you have to wait for them to come down, for that huge 1mph arm swing speed boost.  You're of course thinking, why the heck do people do all these things? One reason people do this is because it feels natural, at least that's the reason experienced golfers do it. It feels more repeatable to them, and they like it, it feels good. Power to them. But there are plenty of golfers who do these things that aren't happy with their game, so why do they do it? They do these things because it feels like they can get maximum strength this way. Doing it the efficient way would cost them a lot of power, because their strongest and biggest muscles have not coordinated yet to hit a golf ball. When we do basic things like jumping and lifting, things we've done all our lives, we use the most efficient muscles and most supported ones. But when we have to hit a golf ball, those muscles don't know how to get involved, so we use the smaller, weaker, faster ones, to get the job done with some short term speed. The truth is, we can hit the ball a lot further using the right muscles, but many golfers believe they are hitting it better with whatever move they currently have. They aren't wrong, at the moment they can't hit it with the right muscles, because the right muscles aren't trained. But if they stopped what they are doing and started training the right muscles to support the swing, would they hit it better, faster farther? You bet your ball washer they would. So put down the club, put your arms across your chest like you learned at your very first golf clinic, dig into your hip sockets, and rotate those shoulders. Do away with the crazy arm motions and the bending and unbending at the waist. The 4some behind you will thank you for it.
    • Anybody play golf without keeping score on a regular basis?
      Certainly. Only keep a record of pars in my notebook - nothing else, consequently my index could be anywhere between 16 and 36. Aim is to par every hole on the course at some stage.
    • My Swing (coop6)
      The video you linked of Rory do you see how there is zero club face rotation after the ball?
    • Ball likely in casual water but uncertain
      thanks @ColinL great answer. Question: Are there any times where you can take an unplayable if you can't identify your ball, like if you can't get close enough to read the letters. I thought there were.
    • Ball likely in casual water but uncertain
      Casual water is an abnormal ground condition (AGC).   The idea behind getting free relief from it is that it is considered “abnormal” i.e. not a normal condition you are expected to play from.   In the same way,  an obstruction being by definition an artificial obect,  is not a natural feature of a golf course and so you get free relief from interference by one. in both cases, the relief is available even if you don’t find your ball which you would think reasonable if you knew perfectly well that your ball had gone into a large patch of casual water and disappeared from sight.   A tree, on the other hand is a natural feature of the course and you get no favours if you put your ball up against one or in it: you have to play the ball as it lies.  If it’s in the tree, you don’t have to retrieve it in order to deem it unplayable, but you do have to identify it as yours. 
  • TST Blog Entries

• Images

• Today's Birthdays

• Blog Entries