• Announcements

• iacas

Create a Signature!   02/05/2016

Everyone, go here and edit your signature this week: http://thesandtrap.com/settings/signature/.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
albatross

Florida People

23 posts in this topic

Looking for a neat spot to check out for 4 or 5 days during the first week of June.  Leaving the kids home this time with Grandma and Grandpa. Just the wife and me.

Never been anywhere in Florida. Was thinking about Clearwater or Key West, but would love any suggestions.  Don't know much about it.  Thanks!

P.S.-  Golf is not part of the itinerary. My wife has made that clear. :-P

Want to get rid of this advertisement? Sign up (or log in) today! It's free!

Looking for a neat spot to check out for 4 or 5 days during the first week of June.  Leaving the kids home this time with Grandma and Grandpa. Just the wife and me.

Never been anywhere in Florida. Was thinking about Clearwater or Key West, but would love any suggestions.  Don't know much about it.  Thanks!

Depends on what you like and want to do.  I have been to Key West, and it is fun.  Can be relaxing and a party town at the same time.  Great for couples.  Lots of neat restaurants and sunset cruises and snorkeling.  Beach is just average.

I just was in Cocoa Beach.  It is a bit more built up, but fun too and near Cape Canaveral.  Touring NASA is fun too.

Awards and Achievements

P.S.-  Golf is not part of the itinerary. My wife has made that clear.

I would probably go to both. Since I go to Gulf Shores all the time Key West is more of a different world tropically than the rest of Florida.

Plus I haven't had any Spanish limes (not actually limes for those that don't know) or soursop ice cream in years.

I'm afraid I would also have to overrule my wife and the golf clubs would go with me. I don't even go to the gas station without my clubs just in case I run into somebody that wants to play.

P.S.-  Golf is not part of the itinerary. My wife has made that clear.

My first recommendation would be Sarasota and Siesta Key, over on the gulf coast.  Great beaches, nightlife, and dining.  The beach there is world renown for some of the softest, whitest sand you'll ever find.  It's so white that the sand doesn't even get very hot in the summer.  June is after most of the snowbirds have departed so much less crowded.  Clearwater and St Petersburg are both a short drive north and would make for a fun day trip.

Key West is ok, but a little goes a long ways for me.  Kind of like New Orleans or Vegas if you know what I mean, and there really isn't much in the way of beaches.  Ft Lauderdale and Miami are just too damn crowded.

Awards and Achievements

Good info so far. Keep it coming please.  My wife is definitely interested in nice beaches and the most "tropical" feel.

Good info so far. Keep it coming please.  My wife is definitely interested in nice beaches and the most "tropical" feel.

The other BIG advantage (in my opinion) to Siesta Key is that it's on the gulf coast.  The west side of the state, which means you get sunsets......

.....my very favorite time of day. Especially when Grandma and Grandpa have the kids! ;-)

Awards and Achievements

I just was in Cocoa Beach.  It is a bit more built up, but fun too and near Cape Canaveral.  Touring NASA is fun too.

Seconded. I was there a few years ago and the beaches were amazing. (Speaking as someone who had never been to Florida, of course.)

Awards and Achievements

If your looking the most "tropical" feel then the Keys are definitely the place. The Keys almost feel like a different country IMO (in a good way). Beaches are less than impressive. If you go to the Keys (especially Key West) your going to drink, fish (great fishing), snorkel, and eat at little mom n pop restaurants. I'm from the Gulf coast so I'm biassed but IMO the east coast beaches are for surfing. St Augustine is pretty cool for a one day trip. Cocoa is great for surfing and drinking. But my favorite is a smaller beach community called Indian Rocks beach (and surrounding areas). If your looking for "laid back" this is the area to go, its quite the beaches are not crowded and there are tons of mom n pop restaurants. This area also has plenty of places to put in a boat and plenty of interrcoastal water to fish as well. I would recommend this area 100% as it is also close to (everything is just off of Gulf Boulevard) St Pete and Clearwater. I'm not a real estate agent in Indian Rocks, honest, I just love the area and we vacation there every year.

Sorry, good luck and happy searching

I second the Siesta Keys/Sarasota area recommendation.

Punta Gorda is also beautiful.

Any resort recommendations in any of these areas?  Obviously tons online, but hard to trust reviews from people you aren't sure exist. ;-)

Not sure I'll be much help there. We have family in the Sarasota area so usually stay with them. If it's a kid free special occasion we splurge and stay at the Ritz in Sarasota. Spectacular, but pretty pricey. As I said, special occasions only for us. If you do end up in Key West, there's a great little boutique resort called The Eden House that we really like. Just a couple blocks off Duval St, but far enough away from the crazies that you can relax if you want to. If you really want to impress the Mrs and have deeper pockets than I do, Check out Little Palm Island. We've only been for dinner once, but would love to spend a long weekend there some day. Some day....

Awards and Achievements

I like the Key West idea because it seems like you can land right there and don't even need a car to get to the action.  That seems to be the draw back for me of some of the other places listed.  1.5 car ride after you land.  Any other spots in Florida or anywhere else on east coast you would recommend that you fly right there, and don't even really need a car?  All the reviews I've read for Key West say that a car isn't really necessary.  Just curious about any other vacation spots people have hit down there.  Thanks for all suggestions so far.  I've been checking them all out.

You can certainly get away without having a car in Key West. Public transportation is pretty good but I recommed renting a bike to get around to all the sites. If it's in your budget, I would recommend flying into Miami or Ft. Laurderdale then doing a one-way car rental to get to Key West. Generally flights are cheaper into FLL vs Key West (EYW) plus the experience of driving the Overseas Highway the entire length of the Keys is pretty awesome. The drive alone is really cool plus there are a ton of cool places to stop along the way.

You can certainly get away without having a car in Key West. Public transportation is pretty good but I recommed renting a bike to get around to all the sites. If it's in your budget, I would recommend flying into Miami or Ft. Laurderdale then doing a one-way car rental to get to Key West. Generally flights are cheaper into FLL vs Key West (EYW) plus the experience of driving the Overseas Highway the entire length of the Keys is pretty awesome. The drive alone is really cool plus there are a ton of cool places to stop along the way.

Very cool suggestion. I will look into that.  Thanks!

[quote name="albatross" url="/t/73920/florida-people#post_978072"]Very cool suggestion. I will look into that.  Thanks! [/quote] Eden house provides bikes to their guests.....

Awards and Achievements

Eden house provides bikes to their guests.....

Be careful.  Key West is known for having a lot of drunk bicycle riding accidents.

Awards and Achievements

Definitely been convinced to fly into Miami and make the drive to KW.  Sounds like an amazing ride.  Those of you that know the area, would you spend all 5 nights in KW or break it up a little and stay in different places in the keys?  Just trying to figure out what might make the most sense.  I even like the idea of kind of "winging" it and just heading down from Miami the first day and see where we end up every night. Probably not a good idea from a lodging cost perspective, and my wife probably won't go for that plan, or lack of plan. Sounds fun to me though. ;-)

Other suggestions?