IGNORED

My Swing (14ledo81)

14ledo81
Note: This thread is 1064 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I've been Playing Golf for: 6 years

My current handicap index or average score is:  90

My typical ball flight is:  Short (sometimes weak and right)

The shot I hate or the "miss" I'm trying to reduce/eliminate is:  Short, Fat shots (especially when I try to hit a draw), inconsistent flight pattern

I had planned on starting a swing thread as soon as the weather got nice.  I remembered that my buddy had taken this last fall.  Don't mind his commentary.

I realize this is probably not much to go on (poor angles), but I thought I would start the thread anyway.

I am looking to make more solid contact mainly with the longer clubs.  If I play the white tees (6000 yards) at my home course, I can score lower 90's, upper 80's.  Typically I do not have many penalty shots, but I do not hit the ball very far.  On the longer holes, it makes it a real struggle to hit the GIR.  I probably hit around 3-5 GIR a round depending on how I am playing.  Short game is OK, nothing great, but I do not feel that I am throwing away a lot of strokes with it.  I do not get up and down a whole lot, but I rarely do not get down in three.

I also struggle with the difference between my practice swing and real swing.  My practice swings feel much smoother and faster.  If I do the line in the sand drill and try to make consistent divots on the target side of the line, I usually can do this.  If I put a ball down, things go poorly.  Same with a driver on a tee.  I think it is to much of a "hit" instinct.  Full swings appear to be more of a punch, like the video below.  Any help with this would be great.

Any advice would be appreciated, and I do plan on getting some "real" vids up as soon as the weather is nice.

Videos:

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Pretty nice backswing there! Yeah it is going be pretty hard to tell much until you get some more video up. Just off a quick glance it looks like your grip is very weak and your arms really seem to be extending away from you a bit too much to address the ball but it is hard to tell.  Do you usually have that short of a follow through as well?  It is great that you started a swing thread!  That course looks beautiful as well.

Nate

:pxg:(10.5) :benhogan:(4W):titleist:U500(3UI) :benhogan: Icon(4-PW) :edel:(52/58)

:odyssey:Putter :snell: MTB Black  

Pretty nice backswing there! Yeah it is going be pretty hard to tell much until you get some more video up. Just off a quick glance it looks like your grip is very weak and your arms really seem to be extending away from you a bit too much to address the ball but it is hard to tell.  Do you usually have that short of a follow through as well?  It is great that you started a swing thread!  That course looks beautiful as well.

Thanks for the response.

I would say the short follow through is something that typically occurs.  It is not (I think) always as short as the one in the video, but at least it gives people an idea of my mental block.

-Matt-

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

Thanks for the response.

I would say the short follow through is something that typically occurs.  It is not (I think) always as short as the one in the video, but at least it gives people an idea of my mental block.

Well at least you don't have the typical problem of someone who massively over swings. :-D There is a lot there to work with.  I am excited to see some real FO and DTL video.

That is an fascinating problem that you have there with the follow through. It may not be completely detrimental, but yeah it is going to be hard to get some distance and get the ball high and land it softly with some of the longer shots. It might even extend from your weak grip a bit. You might be subconscious feeling that you need to really hold on through the swing or something.  Hopefully a few set up changes will help you feel you can let the club and body go up and around.

Nate

:pxg:(10.5) :benhogan:(4W):titleist:U500(3UI) :benhogan: Icon(4-PW) :edel:(52/58)

Quote:

Originally Posted by 14ledo81

Thanks for the response.

Well at least you don't have the typical problem of someone who massively over swings.    There is a lot there to work with.  I am excited to see some real FO and DTL video.

That is an fascinating problem that you have there with the follow through. It may not be completely detrimental, but yeah it is going to be hard to get some distance and get the ball high and land it softly with some of the longer shots. It might even extend from your weak grip a bit. You might be subconscious feeling that you need to really hold on through the swing or something.  Hopefully a few set up changes will help you feel you can let the club and body go up and around.

Well I do have high hopes that I can improve a lot.  I think this is part of the reason that I can do ok on shorter courses, but really struggle on long ones.  If I play a 330 yard par 4, I can hit driver-PW.  With the shorter clubs, the short follow through does not seem to cause as many problems.  Long holes though are especially a killer.

-Matt-

@cipher , I read what you said about my grip being weak. I had always thought I had a strong grip, so I thought maybe the video wasn't good enough. I took another look later and realized only the right hand was clearly visible. Turns out I had always focused on my left hand being a bit strong, but the right hand was actually really weak. I hit a few balls down my driveway when I got home focusing on right hand grip being a bit stronger. I did not video, so I can't say it helped with the short follow through, but I did seem to make more solid contact. Another set of eyes sure makes a difference. Especially someone who knows more than me about the swing. Thanks.

-Matt-

@cipher, I read what you said about my grip being weak. I had always thought I had a strong grip, so I thought maybe the video wasn't good enough. I took another look later and realized only the right hand was clearly visible. Turns out I had always focused on my left hand being a bit strong, but the right hand was actually really weak. I hit a few balls down my driveway when I got home focusing on right hand grip being a bit stronger. I did not video, so I can't say it helped with the short follow through, but I did seem to make more solid contact.

Another set of eyes sure makes a difference. Especially someone who knows more than me about the swing. Thanks.

Sounds good, let's take a look when you get some more video and see how it looks.

Nate

• 2 weeks later...

I took some video after work today.  I will try to upload and post tonight.  I apologize in advance if I do not embed them correctly.

-Matt-

6 iron DTL

6 iron FO

Driver DTL

Driver FO (I think the camera angle was off a little. I do not set up with the ball that far forward of my front foot.)

Well here they are.  I definitely do not feel I hit the ball very solid.  Maybe due to the flipping.  From information I have learned on TST, I believe lag happens.  Maybe something is off with sequencing?  Or something else I am doing is causing me to flip to make contact?

I am not sure what would be the priority piece.  Any help is appreciated.

-Matt-

Strengthen your left hand grip, work on less knee bend ,stand little taller, ball closer.

Thanks for the response.

Less knee bend at address?

Is the head moving (key #1) the first thing to fix?

-Matt-

Your posture is too arched in the lower back

For a 6 iron the stance is too narrow, and the ball a tad too far back. I would move the ball up one ball width and the move your back foot about another foot width to your right. You want the ball somewhere in between the middle of your stance and the front foot for a 6 irons, maybe a shade closer to the front foot.

Your grip could be a bit stronger, its pretty weak. This could cause you to send the path too left as you go through impact. I like to imagine a straight line down the top of the club. I like to see the inside of the left thumb at that line. Not down the middle of your left thumb. It could be even a tad stronger, but that is as weak as I like to see a grip. V of your thumb and index finger of your right hand should point towards your right shoulder more.

Key #1 looks pretty good, I think widening the stance a bit will help with that little sway towards the target you have. You keep it pretty steady.

I would work on your key #2, and getting your belt buckle more towards the sky, with a proper weight forward at impact.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Just some setup stuff I see.

I think the two biggest changes you should make are to move the ball more forward and to widen your stance some. Think more like Robert Rock here:

Even Robert Rock I think is playing that six iron (I think he's using a 6-iron) a bit back there. You could move the ball up closer to that yellow line I drew somewhere.

Also, to echo what was said above, the left hand could be strengthened a few degrees so you can see 2 or 3 knuckles at address or so. In relation to your right hand grip:

If you could also maybe make a small change here with the position of your right thumb. Rather than placing it on the top of the grip, rest it on the side. I think this will give you a tad more control of the club.

Like @saevel25 said, your posture could use some improvement, so read up a bit on this thread here:

I think you can round out the lower back slightly and tilt your neck down a couple degrees, although that latter suggestion may improve on its own if the arch in the lumbar spine is reduced.

So in review, all the changes I'm suggesting are setup related. Your swing itself looks a lot better than an 18 handicap.

1. Widen stance

2. Move ball more forward

3. Improve posture by rounding out the arch in your lower back.

4. Strengthen left hand grip some.

5. Rest the right hand thumb on the left side of the grip, not on top of it.

I think your knee bend it okay, but you could lessen it a tad if you wanted. You could also stand maybe an inch closer to it at address.

Constantine

I think you can round out the lower back slightly and tilt your neck down a couple degrees, although that latter suggestion may improve on its own if the arch in the lumbar spine is reduced.  [URL=http://thesandtrap.com/content/type/61/id/96971/] [/URL]

This is an important one. In addition to what @JetFan1983 mentioned, look at the very top of Tiger's back and his neck - it's almost completely horizontal. Yours points up about 30˚ (eyeballing it).

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Thanks for all the help guys!!

Any feels for rounding out the lower back?

Any suggestions on practicing?  Is a mirror the best for static position practice?  Or video, and check?

I will work hard on these items to clean them up.  I really do want to improve this year.

Also, @JetFan1983 , thanks for the encouraging comments (about not looking like an 18 cap swing).  My short game is actually pretty decent (IMO), so I do not think that is what is holding me back.  Like I said, I don't think I hit it solidly enough on a consistent basis.  When I do hit one solid, it feels like a night and day difference.  It also feels like I am really close to good golf.  Who knows, we all probably feel that way.

-Matt-

Any suggestions on practicing?  Is a mirror the best for static position practice?  Or video, and check?

I will work hard on these items to clean them up.  I really do want to improve this year.

Also, @JetFan1983 , thanks for the encouraging comments (about not looking like an 18 cap swing).  My short game is actually pretty decent (IMO), so I do not think that is what is holding me back.  Like I said, I don't think I hit it solidly enough on a consistent basis.  When I do hit one solid, it feels like a night and day difference.  It also feels like I am really close to good golf.  Who knows, we all probably feel that way.

I think a mirror is best for static changes. Try feeling more "slumpy" and make sure you're looking down at the ball through your central vision and not down your nose if you know what I mean.

Standing a little closer to the ball should help too.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

I think a mirror is best for static changes. Try feeling more "slumpy" and make sure you're looking down at the ball through your central vision and not down your nose if you know what I mean.

Standing a little closer to the ball should help too.

This could be true, but I would make sure that he's not getting too back on his heels as well. For me I have to feel like I am almost more over the ball more often because I tend to get back on my heels too much, and get too straight legged.

Also, @JetFan1983 , thanks for the encouraging comments (about not looking like an 18 cap swing).  My short game is actually pretty decent (IMO), so I do not think that is what is holding me back.  Like I said, I don't think I hit it solidly enough on a consistent basis.  When I do hit one solid, it feels like a night and day difference.  It also feels like I am really close to good golf.  Who knows, we all probably feel that way.

It would feel less archy. Your hips will feel less tucked. It might feel like your stomach is pulled in more, instead of stretched by the hip being tucked in. Also, it might feel more like your chin is closer to your chest.

Yes mirror work helps out.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

You can feel like you are sucking in your gut a bit with this. I think there is a video on the good posture page maybe about this...?

Nate

Note: This thread is 1064 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!