IGNORED

What is the most GIR you have ever hit in a round?

tmac20
Note: This thread is 3652 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

My best was 16... And I shot a measly 73 that day. My average last year was 11. How many greens did you hit on your best day? And how many do you normally hit?

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

My best was 16... And I shot a measly 73 that day. My average last year was 11.

How many greens did you hit on your best day? And how many do you normally hit?

11 average is outstanding!

I'm not much of a stats guy.....probably something like 14 for my best ever.  Usually around 7-8ish.  Results in a scoring average that usually runs in the 79-81 range.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

• Administrator

I hit all 18 at Whispering Woods Golf Club. Two of the par fives I hit in two.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I hit all 18 at Whispering Woods Golf Club. Two of the par fives I hit in two.

Wow, you rarely see tour players do that! What did you shoot that day?

• Administrator

Wow, you rarely see tour players do that! What did you shoot that day?

64 . During the Forward Tees experiment (5298 yards). Still… I'll take it. :)

The most I've hit playing a course over 6500 yards is 17. I shot 68 that day, including a three-putt on a really long putt after I punched out from some crap onto the very front of a green. The greens in northwestern PA (and the whole NE of the U.S.) tend to be pretty small. It's pretty easy to get 13, 14 FGIR (Fringes + GIR) but still only have 8 actual GIR. It's tough to have days, even on 6600 yard courses, where you hit too many GIR.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

[URL=http://thesandtrap.com/t/39806/9-18-first-annual-sand-trap-forward-tees-tournament/54#post_531162]64[/URL]. During the Forward Tees experiment (5298 yards). Still… I'll take it. :) The most I've hit playing a course over 6500 yards is 17. I shot 68 that day, including a three-putt on a really long putt after I punched out from some crap onto the very front of a green. The greens in northwestern PA (and the whole NE of the U.S.) tend to be pretty small. It's pretty easy to get 13, 14 FGIR (Fringes + GIR) but still only have 8 actual GIR. It's tough to have days, even on 6600 yard courses, where you hit too many GIR.

Makes sense. The course I play at has very large greens. Some are harder to miss than hit. :-P There's a Par 3 that plays 135 yards from the back tees, and the green is huge.

Never impressive enough for me to remember how many (and I never kept track).

On my typical "good rounds" I probably hit 8 to 10 greens and most of the rest are on or just off of the fringes.

My typical bad rounds are much uglier than that.

The only time I ever played where it was easy enough to remember I only played 8 holes before it got dark. On that day I hit all  8 greens and made 7 birdies and the longest birdie putt was less than 8 feet. Actually my one 2 putt was from about 4 feet on the second hole.

No clue what was going on that day because nothing like that has ever happened to me since. I was working on hitting fades that day and I normally hit draws but even trying that again didn't have the same results so... the only answer is luck.

Just wish the best golf I ever played would have come on a day when I was playing a full round instead of 8 holes. ;-)

My personal record is also 16, which resulted in a very good round for me. My average is usually between 11-12. I had a full season worth of stats tracked for last year and my average floated around 11.6 I believe, but my computer crashed and I lost it all which is a bummer.

I quit keeping track a couple of years back when I discovered that there was little correlation between GIRs and my final score.  But I think best I ever did at over 6,000 yards was 15 GIRs as I recall. In my case my final score seem to relate to my "off the tee performance", not necessarily Fairways hit but playable, and "putting performance".

Butch

I quit keeping track a couple of years back when I discovered that there was little correlation between GIRs and my final score.  But I think best I ever did at over 6,000 yards was 15 GIRs as I recall. In my case my final score seem to relate to my "off the tee performance", not necessarily Fairways hit but playable, and "putting performance".

Hmm, I find that interesting because my score seems to be a direct link to my GIR %. Rounds that I hit a lot of GIR's, I score very well. Rounds that I miss most greens, I don't. I believe that I'm decent at scrambling for pars, but they are so much easier when you have a birdie putt instead of having to get up and down.

Hmm, I find that interesting because my score seems to be a direct link to my GIR %. Rounds that I hit a lot of GIR's, I score very well. Rounds that I miss most greens, I don't. I believe that I'm decent at scrambling for pars, but they are so much easier when you have a birdie putt instead of having to get up and down.

I can only answer that with it surprised me too.  But the numbers are the numbers and I found that the strongest correlation was keeping the ball playable off the tee (I now hit 3 woods and 3 irons off tees on tight fairways).  This often leaves me with missed, not by a lot, of greens.  But I have a reasonable short game from inside of 20 yards or so and often get down in 2 and sometimes 1.  So my scores are better when I don't have shots on the score card that I didn't get to swing at and/or chips back to the fairway; e.g. towardance is more important than furtherance in the final score for me.  However, in a never ending effort to become a better golfer,  this may change for me as the last couple of months I have been taking lessons and my "duck hook propensity" is greatly diminished and I am now getting better with the big stick and using it more on the course.  So maybe time to re-evaluate the GIR and final score correlations.

Butch

Looking through a few years of stats ... Best I can find is a round of 16/18 GIR. Hit every fairway, two-putted every single green, shot 72, +1.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Been keeping stats for a couple of years now, and the most GIR I've had has been 11, which I've done 3 or 4 times.  My average is just under 7 per round, however, I've played several rounds at an easy par 3 course that have skewed that number in my favor.  My average is probably closer to 6.

I've had several rounds recently with 15/18GIR, I don't know what my record is though.  It's annoying to think that you get so many GIR but can't get many "nice birdie chances."  I remember about 10 years ago, I got the best advice/cool fact from a random guy I was playing with.   He said the difference between pros and minor pros is that the pros don't necessarily get more GIR, they just get the ball closer to the hole more often the others, giving more birdie opportunities.  It is only a matter of a few strokes at that level, and the more birdie opportunities give you those extra strokes.

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

The most I've hit is probably around 13, but cut that in half and you'll have my average. The distance is never an issue for me, as it I assume it is not for most people, however I'm usually around the green due to accuracy issues. I'd like to keep track of more stats this year. I have a bad habit of slacking off near the end of June where I'm only tracking putts and score.

I had one amazing day at a short course with big greens and hit 10. This was before I ever broke 90, and that included that day (which included two tens and many three-putts). My best in what I'd consider my "semi-skilled" era was 8, although produced a far better score than the outlier mentioned.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Note: This thread is 3652 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!