IGNORED

Player's Championship changes playoff rule

JKolya
Note: This thread is 3660 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I think this is better if for no other reason, if there is a playoff we get to watch these three holes again.

http://www.pgatour.com/news/2014/04/16/players-playoff-format.html

I like it......a great 3 hole stretch!

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I like it. 3 holes is a good number, plus we're guaranteed to see #17 during a playoff.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Nice! I'm a little surprised they didn't do this earlier.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

I like the idea.  My only concern is that with a 3 hole playoff format, sufficient daylight can factor into the outcome.

Joe Paradiso

Sunset time is roughly 8:10pm there. They should be able to get it in. If there are too many people tied, or it goes past the three holes then yes. I would imagine that went into the discussion, and they concluded it was ok.

I like the idea.  My only concern is that with a 3 hole playoff format, sufficient daylight can factor into the outcome.

Sunset time is roughly 8:10pm there. They should be able to get it in. If there are too many people tied, or it goes past the three holes then yes. I would imagine that went into the discussion, and they concluded it was ok.

Yeah, one would hope that they considered that when they made the decision.  If not, and they are running out of light at the end, well then, :doh: .

But, yeah, I agree with all that it's a good idea.

Honestly, I think that all of the majors should do the same thing.  The British Open does 4 holes, and I think the PGA just went to something similar.

The Masters** should follow suit, and the US Open needs to as well, and do away with the ultimate anti-climax that is the 18 hole Monday playoff.

**15 tee is right next to 18 tee, which they drive to anyway for the sudden death, so they could go to a 4-holer as well.  15-16-17-18. :)

The Masters** should follow suit, and the US Open needs to as well, and do away with the ultimate anti-climax that is the 18 hole Monday playoff.

**15 tee is right next to 18 tee, which they drive to anyway for the sudden death, so they could go to a 4-holer as well.  15-16-17-18. :)

I agree. While it's nice to have a round to watch on Monday, it is anti-climatic. 3-4 holes and finishing on Sunday is much better.

The Masters** should follow suit, and the US Open needs to as well, and do away with the ultimate anti-climax that is the 18 hole Monday playoff. **15 tee is right next to 18 tee, which they drive to anyway for the sudden death, so they could go to a 4-holer as well.  15-16-17-18. :)

The Masters will always have a sudden death playoff. Augusta National likes its winner to walk up the 18th fairway in the [URL=http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_hour_(photography)]golden hour,[/url] and they aren't going to sacrifice such telegenics to make a time window for an aggregate playoff.

In my UnderArmour Links stand bag...

Driver: '07 Burner 9.5° (stiff graphite shaft)
Woods: SasQuatch 17° 4-Wood (stiff graphite shaft)
Hybrid: 4DX Ironwood 20° (stiff graphite shaft)Irons/Wedges: Apex Edge 3-PW, GW, SW (stiff shaft); Carnoustie 60° LWPutter: Rossa AGSI+ Corzina...

The Masters will always have a sudden death playoff. Augusta National likes its winner to walk up the 18th fairway in the golden hour, and they aren't going to sacrifice such telegenics to make a time window for an aggregate playoff.

Maybe the one day when they have a 3 or 4 hole playoff that either ends controversially because they force the guys to play in the dark, OR ends on Monday, will cause them to change that view.

But until such time, I think you are probably correct.

The Masters will always have a sudden death playoff. Augusta National likes its winner to walk up the 18th fairway in the golden hour, and they aren't going to sacrifice such telegenics to make a time window for an aggregate playoff.

Or #10 if they are still tied after first playoff hole.

I'm excited for the change as well. It's a great three hole stretch.

Totally agree the 18 hole Monday playoff at the US Open is anticlimactic.

Agreed.

Note: This thread is 3660 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!