IGNORED

Hit the ball high

Note: This thread is 3632 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hey all SOOOO I hit the ball really high with my irons... is that normal? I get it up there... how would I hit it lower if I wanted too to not let the wind affect it as much? Is it a good thing that I hit it high? Anyone else do the same?

My bag..

- Driver: Taylormade Jetspeed 10.5* 

- 5 Wood: Ping G20 15*

- Irons: Taylormade SLDR 4-PW, AW

- Weges: Cleveland C16 (55, 60)

- Putter: Odyssey Metal X

Balls

- Titleist ProV1x

- Srixon Qstar

- Taylormade Project (a)

I knock 'em high too. I hit my 7i about 165yds on average. I tend to play the ball a bit forward..two balls past middle. When I really balloon it it's often due to "wrist flipping". You may be doing this. To hit it lower try putting the ball a little back in your stance. This works for me when I want a little lower flight....wind, going under overhanging tree...

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I knock 'em high too. I hit my 7i about 165yds on average. I tend to play the ball a bit forward..two balls past middle. When I really balloon it it's often due to "wrist flipping". You may be doing this. To hit it lower try putting the ball a little back in your stance. This works for me when I want a little lower flight....wind, going under overhanging tree...

Excuse my noobness and ignorance but what is wrist flipping?

My bag..

Balls

- Titleist ProV1x

- Srixon Qstar

- Taylormade Project (a)

Flipping your wrist just before impact. also known as fast hands. If i do this tho i get massive hooks.

It also can be as simple as a wrong shaft!

I used to play Dynamic Gold R300's and i was ballooning them.

Had serious doubts of going to the KBS C- Tapers but found them to hard to hit.

I know have the KBS Tour Stiff+ and my ball flight is a lot more penetrating!

You can also look at your clubhead. A game improvement iron is designed to help the ball up in the air. A forged iron will lower the ball flight.

What i'm trying to say, you can have a good swing and not get good results because you don't have the right equipment for your swing.

Dirver: Mizuno JPX 825 9,5 Fujikura Orochi Red Eye Stiff 65 g.
3 wood: Mizuno JPX 825 14 Fujikura Orochi Red Eye Stiff 75 g.
Hybrid: Mizuno JPX 825 18 Fujikura Orochi Red Eye Stiff 85 g. 
Irons: Mizuno MP 59 3 / PW KBS Tour stiff shaft ( Golf Pride Niion )
Wedges: Taylormade ATV Wedges 52 and 58 ( Golf Pride Niion )
putter: Taylormade ghost series 770 35 inch ( Super Stroke slim 3.0 )
Balls: Taylormade TP 5

Hey all SOOOO I hit the ball really high with my irons... is that normal? I get it up there... how would I hit it lower if I wanted too to not let the wind affect it as much? Is it a good thing that I hit it high? Anyone else do the same?

I used to do the same, but I was flipping or casting. How high is too high? It depends how far you hit your irons. For example, if you hit your PW 130 yards, it could normally go 30 yards high. If you hit 100 yards 30 yards high, that could be too high. It could also be flipping, or casting where your body is not turned enough. Look into 5SK, there is lots of instruction on this site to help you with your swing.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

High compared to what? My experience is yeah high handicappers tend to flip at it but most aren't hitting it as high as they think they are. I think PGA pros average something around 27 yds at the apex. That's nearly 90 feet. I don't see many amateurs getting that much height.

Dave :-)

It just looks high to me. I hit my 7i 1 60 - 165yds.. I just feel like I hit it really high.. I struggled yesterday with the wind

My bag..

Balls

- Titleist ProV1x

- Srixon Qstar

- Taylormade Project (a)

Hey all

SOOOO I hit the ball really high with my irons... is that normal? I get it up there... how would I hit it lower if I wanted too to not let the wind affect it as much? Is it a good thing that I hit it high?

Anyone else do the same?

Good chance you're doing something in your swing to dynamically add loft, "flipping" at it. So it's a Key 2 or 3 issue. Good drill.

If it's windy and you want to hit it lower, play the ball in the middle of your stance, maybe even slightly back of that, and have your followthrough look like this. Weight forward, arms straightish and they don't go above sternum level.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

It just looks high to me. I hit my 7i 1 60 - 165yds.. I just feel like I hit it really high.. I struggled yesterday with the wind

Just to give you some reference, a good player hits all his irons about 30 yards high. It looks like the ball disappears because of the spin and the height. 30 yards high is a long way up especially when it goes out a long way. The ball looks tiny and hangs for a long time before dropping down.

A few college (D1) players came back to my kid's high school to help coach the kids. They all hit like a pro. Their 52 degree wedges were flying 130+ yards, when they chose to hit that far. A PW was their 135 club, and one of them demonstrated hitting the PW 160 yards for the heck of it. It's really impressive, and really high. High enough to think that the 100 foot fence surrounding the driving range was inadequate. He mentioned that he could hit it that far every shot but uses it for his 135 club. My kid's high school coach and two of the high school seniors can almost hit as far.

Too high is probably higher than we can hit, as @Dave2512 was alluding.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Well, you have decent distance. You didn't say what brand, and model of clubs you have, also it may be that you have shafts that are either a tad to flexy, or they have a soft tip, allowing for a higher ball flight.

Wait...is flexy even a word..?

Well, you have decent distance. You didn't say what brand, and model of clubs you have, also it may be that you have shafts that are either a tad to flexy, or they have a soft tip, allowing for a higher ball flight.

I think flexy has potential :)

I am using Callaway RazrX (NG) Irons

My bag..

Balls

- Titleist ProV1x

- Srixon Qstar

- Taylormade Project (a)

Too flexible?

If the shaft is too flexible, it will tend to give you a hook because the face is closing too much. You can tell because if you make the same exact swing, but slower, then it cures the problem.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Too flexible?

If the shaft is too flexible, it will tend to give you a hook because the face is closing too much. You can tell because if you make the same exact swing, but slower then it cures the problem.

Hey, I'm just throwing thoughts out here.... :-P

Hey, I'm just throwing thoughts out here....

Yeah, but the swing speed required for a 160-165 7i is not too fast for standard equipment. 170 carry would be in the realm of really fast.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

A high ball hitter at 165 yards with 7 iron should learn to use a 6 or even 5 iron, gripping down on the shaft to hit a solid punch type shot to avoid the stratosphere, hopefully getting the same 165 yards. A little slower swing with abreaveated follow thru will help keep it down.

Yeah...good call. I actually like my high flight. I tend to like the ball landing from a drop outta sky rather than an f-15 screech landing. I don't get a lot of spin on my longer irons so a nice drop works out for me.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

A high ball hitter at 165 yards with 7 iron should learn to use a 6 or even 5 iron, gripping down on the shaft to hit a solid punch type shot to avoid the stratosphere, hopefully getting the same 165 yards. A little slower swing with abreaveated follow thru will help keep it down.

Then again, there are ways to hit a 7i much lower... ;-)

Then again, there are ways to hit a 7i much lower...

Yeah the reason I posted what I did.

Quick note, tour players hit it high, I think most golfers would be surprised how high they actually do hit it. They tend to "flight" their short irons wedges but can easily launch their long irons. Like I said earlier, the amateur that hits it high tends to add loft dynamically, the shaft lines in with the lead arm before impact.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Note: This thread is 3632 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!