IGNORED

Arnie Special

albatross
Note: This thread is 3606 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Who doesn't love Arnie. I haven't watched the special yet, probably will DVR it next time it's on. I've read a few books on him and his life story so I figured I've probably read a lot of what's on the show but I will eventually get around to it.

Growing up in golf back in the 1970's I was a big Nicklaus fan and Arnie was on the downward trend at that point but you still had to respect the man and what he has done for golf.

A couple years ago my son, father in law, and I took a golf trip to Myrtle Beach and played at one of Arnie's and one of Jack's courses. At the entrance way to each clubhouse there is bronze statues of each great player at their respective courses. After our round at Arnie's place we had to go out and get some pictures in front of his statue. At Jack's place I never thought to get pictures. Funny even though I've always been a big fan of Jack's, I felt the need to get pictures at Arnie's place more. Jack was a great player but Arnie was/is a great ambassador to golf!

In My Bag:
Driver: :Cobra Amp Cell Pro 9.5*, Stock X-Flex

3 Wood: :Cobra Bio Cell 16*, Stock X-Flex

5 Wood: Cobra Bio Cell 20*, Stock S-Flex
Irons: Bridgestone J40-CB 3-PW, Project-X 6.0

Gap Wedge::Vokey: 52* CNC  

Sand Wedge: :Vokey: 58* CNC  

Putters: Scotty Cameron Newport II 

Ball: Bridgestone 330-S(2014)

I followed Arnie on the course (1963 US Open..I was 12) It did seem like an army. His personal charisma was unlike anything  have ever experienced. It felt like he was playing just for you. An interesting sidenote...earlier in the day while at that 63' US Open I was watching Jackie Cupit ( there's a throwback for ya...he had a loop similar to Furyk's) on the the practice tee when all of a sudden i am being jostled and pushed and shoved by a crowd that descended on the tee...I look up and standing next to me was the one and only Arnold Palmer...I was struck dumb and couldn't even muster a word to ask for an autograph..by the time I realized what was happening he was gone.

What's in my bag

Cobra Speed LD-F 10.5* Driver

Callaway XHot 15* 3-wood

Tour Edge Bazooka 5-wood

Tour Edge Bazooka 7-wood

Wilson Staff Ci9 Irons 4-GW

Mizuno T-Zoid Sand Wedge 56*

Odyssey White Hot #2

Why haven't people been banned for not calling him "Mr Palmer"? Glad to se that some unctious types who are presumably older than 12 did.

Did anyone notice the interviewers desperately trying to get Jordan Spieth to refer to Tom Watson as "Mr Watson" and Davis Love as "Mr Love" during interviews at Augusta after learning that that's what he did on the course? Glad that he didn't oblige.

I, personally, myself, (that's me) find "Mr Palmer" a bit of a crank. It's almost as if he and Player love apeing the actions of old men -even though they are old  - at the Masters tee off ceremony and Par 3 contest. Player's playing to the crowd makes me want to spew and he tries to drag Nicklaus and Palmer into it. Nicklaus tries pretty hard to resist.

But......Palmer's an incredibly charismatic fellow who revolutionised the game in they eyes of the public, as did NIcklaus. They have to be idols of all golfers. Player not so much.

What really makes me ill though, is people who try to put Payne Stewart in the same pantheon as those three.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

Why haven't people been banned for not calling him "Mr Palmer"? Glad to se that some unctious types who are presumably older than 12 did.

Did anyone notice the interviewers desperately trying to get Jordan Spieth to refer to Tom Watson as "Mr Watson" and Davis Love as "Mr Love" during interviews at Augusta after learning that that's what he did on the course? Glad that he didn't oblige.

I, personally, myself, (that's me) find "Mr Palmer" a bit of a crank. It's almost as if he and Player love apeing the actions of old men -even though they are old  - at the Masters tee off ceremony and Par 3 contest. Player's playing to the crowd makes me want to spew and he tries to drag Nicklaus and Palmer into it. Nicklaus tries pretty hard to resist.

But......Palmer's an incredibly charismatic fellow who revolutionised the game in they eyes of the public, as did NIcklaus. They have to be idols of all golfers. Player not so much.

What really makes me ill though, is people who try to put Payne Stewart in the same pantheon as those three.

???? is all I've got to say to that rambling, incoherent stream of consiousness

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shorty

???? is all I've got to say to that rambling, incoherent stream of consiousness

Shorty is the resident forum curmudgeon ... wadda ya expect ??

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I thought it was weird how much the announcers were salivating over Spieth calling a few guys "sir" and "Mr." (Kinda off topic though.)

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

• 3 weeks later...

not big on Palmer, especially how he came down on Tiger for the infidelity when there were published rumors on Palmers own indiscretions.

and Payne Stewart was a dick.

Colin P.

not big on Palmer, especially how he came down on Tiger for the infidelity when there were published rumors on Palmers own indiscretions.

and Payne Stewart was a dick.

You're entitled to your opinion but I would venture to guess that golf wouldn't be a part of your life without Arnie. My Father never would have taken up the game without him, and never would have introduced me to it, and maybe you just come from a long line of pre-arnie golfers, but otherwise I would venture to guess that you and about 95%+ plus of this forum might be in a similar boat. So while I can't support any (alleged) hypocritical behavior, I have a hard time having anything but admiration for Arnie for indirectly introducing me to the game.

And for those who want to say that Tiger  got them into the game, it's pretty clear that there would have been no Tiger without Arnie, so that point is moot.

• Administrator
You're entitled to your opinion but I would venture to guess that golf wouldn't be a part of your life without Arnie. My Father never would have taken up the game without him, and never would have introduced me to it, and maybe you just come from a long line of pre-arnie golfers, but otherwise I would venture to guess that you and about 95%+ plus of this forum might be in a similar boat. So while I can't support any (alleged) hypocritical behavior, I have a hard time having anything but admiration for Arnie for indirectly introducing me to the game.

And for those who want to say that Tiger  got them into the game, it's pretty clear that there would have been no Tiger without Arnie, so that point is moot.

That's a stretch.

People play golf because of a LOT of things. No Arnie likely decreases the odds of those things being in place, but I don't think it decreases them 51%.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

That's a stretch.

People play golf because of a LOT of things. No Arnie likely decreases the odds of those things being in place, but I don't think it decreases them 51%.

I think it decreases it by a lot more than 51%. I honestly don't think you can overstate how much impact Arnie had on the game and (most of) our involvement in it. Take my home state for example (Virginia). Pre-Arnie you literally had no next to no public courses and 5 or 6 private clubs...for the ENTIRE state. And that's how most states were. Now maybe golf would have become more of a part of middle-class suburban life in the 60-90s without him anyways, but I don't know. I think it would still be a largely top of the upper class sport with far fewer country clubs and daily fee courses...meaning far fewer of us would have access to the game.

i think Tiger grows up to play golf (ir)regardless of Arnie.  yeah, i know Earl probably watched Palmer but i think he wouldve liked golf anyways, and wouldve introduced Eldrick to the game.  i play today because of Tiger.

Colin P.

Not to brag or nothing  but was actually able to meet Arnie about 4 years ago in Palm Springs. Shook his hand and talked to him for a couple minutes. It was a complete surprise, I was doing something with Bobby Jones golf and we were using his side of the range at The Tradition golf club. He drove up in his golf cart and hit some balls.

/emoticons/d1_bigcry.gif"/>

- Shane

• Administrator

I think it decreases it by a lot more than 51%. I honestly don't think you can overstate how much impact Arnie had on the game and (most of) our involvement in it. Take my home state for example (Virginia). Pre-Arnie you literally had no next to no public courses and 5 or 6 private clubs...for the ENTIRE state. And that's how most states were. Now maybe golf would have become more of a part of middle-class suburban life in the 60-90s without him anyways, but I don't know. I think it would still be a largely top of the upper class sport with far fewer country clubs and daily fee courses...meaning far fewer of us would have access to the game.

You get to have your opinion. I think you can (and have) overstate Palmer's impact.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Someone had a big impact on Arnold's game, Arnold had a big impact on Jack's game, Jack had a big impact on Tiger's game... And on it will go. Personally, this is why I believe Arnold had such a big impact on the game... The PGA started getting major TV coverage around the 60's. And that's pretty much when Arnold came onto the scene. So he was kind of the first face of golf on that large of a stage... he was a class act, more of a normal guy that people could relate to. So a lot of the normal guys got into the game, and the game grew. I forget exactly who said it (a famous tour player)... That it should be a requirement of every new tour player to play a round with Arnold Palmer so they can learn how to properly conduct themselves. I thought that was interesting... Speaks to his character. There are only a few tour players I'd be pretty excited to play a round with... Arnold, Jack, Phil, and Freddy Boom Boom. I'm sure I'd enjoy the company of others too, but I probably wouldn't get too excited. I'll have to keep an eye out for that special to record it.

I enjoyed the series immensely. (I have watched it twice)  He has definitely left indelible mark on the game of golf ... and publicly was a giving/caring person.  I think he has taken more than one modern arrogant golfer behind the woodshed, for a lesson on who really pays his check ... the public

(on the private side of things, I could not help but feel he was controlling, and indiscretions were swept under the carpet ... just my own view.)

Ken Proud member of the iSuk Golf Association ... Sponsored by roofing companies across the US, Canada, and the UK

Note: This thread is 3606 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!