IGNORED

Has anyone retired their driver in favor of a 3w?

Note: This thread is 3642 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I did at one point late last year. I couldn't hit my driver and lost all confidence. But I noticed with my 3 wood that I was getting max 210-220. So I went back to work and basically reworked my driver from the grip up. Taped myself at the range and took notice on what worked and what didn't. I found my issue was I was trying to force myself to hit the driver on the upswing and when I struck down I was more accurate hitting much better. All of that was to say you may remove it but eventually you are going to feel like you are missing something not having it in the bag.

I did at one point late last year. I couldn't hit my driver and lost all confidence. But I noticed with my 3 wood that I was getting max 210-220. So I went back to work and basically reworked my driver from the grip up. Taped myself at the range and took notice on what worked and what didn't.

I found my issue was I was trying to force myself to hit the driver on the upswing and when I struck down I was more accurate hitting much better.

All of that was to say you may remove it but eventually you are going to feel like you are missing something not having it in the bag.

As Taylormade would say, "LOFT UP!!!!"

Seriously, most people play WAY too little loft. Coupled with the fact that they hit down on the ball, it isn't shocking that many golfers hit the 3 wood better.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

As high as you hit your driver I'd hate to see you loft up! I tried to not hit my driver last night on my first time out since last year and it backfired. For some reason I tend to do better with a driver off the tee, most likely a mental thing though.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

As high as you hit your driver I'd hate to see you loft up! I tried to not hit my driver last night on my first time out since last year and it backfired. For some reason I tend to do better with a driver off the tee, most likely a mental thing though.

Actually it lowered the height, I know crazy right? It was all the spin. I took about 1000-1200 rpm off my driver.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:

What driver did you go with then, did you get the SLDR?

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

What driver did you go with then, did you get the SLDR?

10.5 degree SLDR TP 430cc, Fujikura TS 7.3 x-stiff, turned it down to 9 degrees of loft.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

I currently have a Cobra Amp Cell driver & Cobra Baffler T Rail 3w, and I am thinking of selling both of them and playing only a 3w. Probably a Ping G25 or i25.

Do any of you play without a driver in your bag?

I don't but my dad does.  With his slower swing speed, the loft of a 3 wood gives a better trajectory.

If you have trouble keeping your drives in the fairway, then go with the 3 wood.  Pros do it quite frequently.  Play the clubs that you hit well.

Over twenty years ago I played a 3W because I could not hit a driver. Did not play for over 15 years, started back about 3 seasons ago. I picked up a TM R9 supertri cheap when the R11's first came out. Figured I would give the "new technology" a shot. I could hit the R9 better than I had ever hit a driver in the old days, but I still was inconsistent with it. I had toyed with just going with the 3W again, on and off in my mind all of last season.

Watching Mickelson hit his FrankenDriver and with TM introducing the MiniDriver, I decided it was time to bite the bullet. But I took the cheap way out. I purchased a TM RBZ Stage2 TP strong 3W on clearance for under $100, which is 13 degrees of loft and adjustable up or down 1.5 degrees. I had been playing my R9 at 11 degrees, I can take the 3W down to 11.5 if I need to and if I can still put it the fairway. Accuracy to me, is more important than the approximate 5% distance loss. Rain has limited my on course time to a round and a half so far. The last nine holes that I played I hit 4 of 7 fairways, just missing 2 others, but still with open shots to the green. I had 3 GIR's in those seven holes, there were many times with my driver that I would not have 3 GIR's in an 18 hole round. It's tough to hit greens when you are hitting trees instead.

Note: This thread is 3642 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!