IGNORED

Is breaking the rules really bad?

dnaygs
Note: This thread is 3451 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I do not expect any changes to the hazard definition because "that's how it is" and has always been.  That is the explanation that I give to my grandson who at 9 years old does not think it makes sense - that's the rule.  Of course some rules in all sports are arbitrary in areas such as distance or score values, but the narrow definition of golf hazards and the fact that the punishment for hitting into them is less severe than other natural hazards is still illogical to me.  I play by the rules and in no way does it diminish the joy I get playing the game - we all play by the same rules with the same penalties.    I am a college football fan and follow my own school and a couple of others.  To me a safety is much more difficult to get than a field goal yet it is worth only 2 points - I would have made it 4 points when the original rules were being established, but it will never change.  I still enjoy college football just as I still enjoy golf.  But I do have my opinions regarding the rules which we are not all going to agree with.  I have not researched it enough but should to determine if the the thought process behind this and other rules is documented.

It has been talked about before, here, but you may not have seen that there is actually a book that goes through the fundamental principles of golf, and how they have informed and shaped the rules of golf.

https://www.usga.org/PublicationStore/PubStoreProductDetails.aspx?id=21474853812

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I have not researched it enough but should to determine if the the thought process behind this and other rules is documented.

"The Principles Behind the Rules of Golf" by Richard S. Tufts.  Available for a couple of bucks from this link - USGA publishing .  It's good reading for anyone who wants a deeper understanding of the rules.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

It has been talked about before, here, but you may not have seen that there is actually a book that goes through the fundamental principles of golf, and how they have informed and shaped the rules of golf.

https://www.usga.org/PublicationStore/PubStoreProductDetails.aspx?id=21474853812

Thanks - I will check it out.

I love the idea that not playing by the rules speeds up play.

If playing by the rules slows a player down, then they really don't know the rules that well - they just think that they do.  If you know the rules and understand the correct procedures to follow for the normal playing situations that you encounter, then you can play by the rules and still play as fast as most players who ignore the rules.

Rules situations don't come up on every shot, and when they do, rules 18 through 28 are the most commonly encountered ones.  As long as you understand Rules 18 and 19 you should understand how to deal with the situations where a ball at rest moves, or a ball in motion is deflected.  Then knowing rules 20-28 will take care of any relief situations.  By knowing those rules you should never have to delay more than a few seconds at most to follow any of the relief procedures, and whether they come with or without penalty.  If you really understand these rules, then having a working knowledge of the rest of them is a piece of cake.

Rick

Unless we are playing a competitive match, I always tell people they can play however they want, don't need my permission. Just don"t try to suggest you shot xx to beat me when you didn't count those drops and follow all etiquette.

- Joel

TM M3 10.5 | TM M3 17 | Adams A12 3-4 hybrid | Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 5-PW

Vokey 50/54/60 | Odyssey Stroke Lab 7s | Bridgestone Tour B XS

Home Courses - Willow Run & Bakker Crossing

If playing by the rules slows a player down, then they really don't know the rules that well - they just think that they do.  If you know the rules and understand the correct procedures to follow for the normal playing situations that you encounter, then you can play by the rules and still play as fast as most players who ignore the rules.

Rules situations don't come up on every shot, and when they do, rules 18 through 28 are the most commonly encountered ones.  As long as you understand Rules 18 and 19 you should understand how to deal with the situations where a ball at rest moves, or a ball in motion is deflected.  Then knowing rules 20-28 will take care of any relief situations.  By knowing those rules you should never have to delay more than a few seconds at most to follow any of the relief procedures, and whether they come with or without penalty.  If you really understand these rules, then having a working knowledge of the rest of them is a piece of cake.

I would agree, I hope you recognized my sarcasm and didn't think I was serious. I've never had playing by the rules slow me down, I can't remember a situation where it has caused a problem.

I would agree, I hope you recognized my sarcasm and didn't think I was serious. I've never had playing by the rules slow me down, I can't remember a situation where it has caused a problem.

I thought you might be, but it wasn't certain from the way you phrased it (sometimes adding a smiley will provide the emphasis).  I just wanted to expand on the idea.

Rick

Is using an app on my iphone that gives me distances to the green breaking the rules?

In terms of Rule 14-3, yes unless there is a Local Rule permitting the use of a distance measuring device. If there is such a Local Rule then you are fine using a device like an iPhone to measure distance provided it doesn't also gauge or measure other things which could assist your play (e.g. barometric pressure, temperature, wind direction and speed .........).

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

As long as you aren't keeping score you can do whatever you like. If you improve your lie, take a mulligan, etc..., etc... don't keep score because then you would need to add penalty strokes and everything else. It's just not worth it. be honest and write down the number of strokes, plus penalties and everythign is fine. If you write anything else down you are not being honest. There are people who will not play with me because I have a habit of reminding them that they took an 8 on that hole, not a 6, for instance. Play the ball where it lies or don't bother keeping score.

If you are not gaining an unfair advantage on anyone else in an understood game or match of any sort and you aren't recording an official handicap, then have fun playing in whatever way you please.

People should make it fun for themselves.  The official rules of golf don't really fit what every single golfer is out there to accomplish....which should be to have a good time.

As long as you aren't keeping score you can do whatever you like. If you improve your lie, take a mulligan, etc..., etc... don't keep score because then you would need to add penalty strokes and everything else. It's just not worth it. be honest and write down the number of strokes, plus penalties and everythign is fine. If you write anything else down you are not being honest. There are people who will not play with me because I have a habit of reminding them that they took an 8 on that hole, not a 6, for instance. Play the ball where it lies or don't bother keeping score.

Sorry but I don't think that someone playing golf by their own set of relaxed rules equates to them being a dishonest person. It seems a bit pompous of you to suggest so.I'd much rather play with someone who knows proper etiquette than one who knows and follows every rule. If we were playing a casual round, with nothing at stake other than trying to have a good time, and you tried to keep score for me it would be the last time we play together.

cubdog

Ross (aka cubdog)

Quote:

Originally Posted by GregoryShell

Sorry but I don't think that someone playing golf by their own set of relaxed rules equates to them being a dishonest person. It seems a bit pompous of you to suggest so.I'd much rather play with someone who knows proper etiquette than one who knows and follows every rule. If we were playing a casual round, with nothing at stake other than trying to have a good time, and you tried to keep score for me it would be the last time we play together.

cubdog

Except that the odds are good that if a player does play by the rules, it shows that he cares enough about the game to also use proper etiquette.  The player who plays by his own rules may or may not know the first thing about etiquette.  If he doesn't care enough about golf to at least try to play by the rules as best he knows, what makes you think he would care enough to use good etiquette?

Rick

I've played with a lot of people who do their best to play with proper etiquette. Most in fact. They usually don't know, or play by, the rules in the strictest sense. I'd rather play with someone who respects their fellow playing companions than someone who belittles others who might not know the rules of the game.

I love golf and it's traditions but I don't get carried away. I want golf to survive. I want courses to prosper. I want future generations to enjoy the game as much as I have for the past 50 years. Times have changed. You hard line rules guys better get used to the fact that we are in a new era. It's not 1960 anymore and never will be again.

cubdog

Ross (aka cubdog)

Yep, I don't care what game someone else chooses to play just don't try and say you shot a 78 with foot wedges and gimmees and free drops when I shoot 80 by the rules because I will call you out.  I know someone who thinks he's that good and he's delusional to say the least, no one will play with him any more because he just embarrasses us when starts to brag himself up as being a teacher and all this other crap and then shoots a 98.

Rich C.

Driver Titleist 915 D3  9.5*
3 Wood TM RBZ stage 2 tour  14.5*
2 Hybrid Cobra baffler 17*
4Hybrid Adams 23*
Irons Adams CB2's 5-GW
Wedges 54* and 58* Titleist vokey
Putter Scotty Cameron square back 2014
Ball Srixon Zstar optic yellow
bushnell V2 slope edition

Note: This thread is 3451 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!