IGNORED

Is Golf in trouble?

Abu3baid
Note: This thread is 3640 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Sort of a double-edged sword. As the sport dies, prices get cheaper and theoretically, fewer people play. Each condition is a positive for me. I haven't determined what the long term down side is from a personal standpoint so as much as it seems counter-intuitive, I sort root for a slowdown.

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Sort of a double-edged sword. As the sport dies, prices get cheaper and theoretically, fewer people play. Each condition is a positive for me. I haven't determined what the long term down side is from a personal standpoint so as much as it seems counter-intuitive, I sort root for a slowdown.

As revenues drop, courses need to make cuts to stay out of the red. This could mean less maintenance of the course or lack of course improvements. It could also mean that your favorite course shuts down or is sold to a new owner who will let it go.

- Shane

I play 3 courses generally.

1. Cheap 9 hole course ($12 walking)

2. Decent muni course (~$30 walking)

3. Mid-level club (~$75 w/cart)

All 3 are always packed. Tee times at the muni on a weekend are virtually impossible to get. They overbook and rounds can easily run 4:30-5:00. So around me, at least, golf is doing just fine.

Here is my take for what it's worth. I've seen work patterns changing drastically over the last 5 or so years. I see professional people (self included) working more and more and having less time for golf and other outside activities. I've wanted to join a private club for several years, but have trouble justifying the high cost with the little time that I have available. I've only been on the course once this year as a matter of fact. I just joined a private club with a new owner and business model. They still offer traditional memberships, but they also offer a provincial membership where you pay an annual fee to join and then pay for each round played. The fee is $250 for an individual or $450 for a family and the per round rate is $35 or $25 after 3PM. My son pays the student rate of $15. They did away with food minimums and even opened the restaurant to the public. In turn, they hired an outstanding chef from Memphis who makes awesome food. The way the calculation works, you are better off with this membership if your family plays less than 6 times a week.

Time will tell, but I think this is a model that will work with the way people work today. Curious what y'all think about this model and whether it will work. So far, it seems to be drawing in serious golfers who have wanted to join a private club but didn't have the time.

I've seen some (but still a select few) clubs adopt this policy and am a huge fan of this. I hope some clubs wisen up in my area and start thinking about this soon. It allows you to have the benefit of a private club but keeps the costs low when usage is low. If I'm playing a lot, I don't mind paying a lot, but there's nothing worse than paying hefty monthly dues when other life stuff gets in the way and prevents you from playing.

I've seen some (but still a select few) clubs adopt this policy and am a huge fan of this. I hope some clubs wisen up in my area and start thinking about this soon. It allows you to have the benefit of a private club but keeps the costs low when usage is low. If I'm playing a lot, I don't mind paying a lot, but there's nothing worse than paying hefty monthly dues when other life stuff gets in the way and prevents you from playing.

It remains to be seen it the course conditions will suffer because of this change. It is a beautiful course with some of the best greens in the area.

- Shane

As revenues drop, courses need to make cuts to stay out of the red. This could mean less maintenance of the course or lack of course improvements. It could also mean that your favorite course shuts down or is sold to a new owner who will let it go.

Hear ya but I'm fortunate enough to live in Dallas where there are a couple hundred courses within 2 hours drive so unless something goes crazy south, I don't think I'll see the downside in my lifetime.

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

Hear ya but I'm fortunate enough to live in Dallas where there are a couple hundred courses within 2 hours drive so unless something goes crazy south, I don't think I'll see the downside in my lifetime.

The equation is a bit different there due to a longer golf season. Nov - Mar in Ohio are pretty light months.

- Shane

Quote:

Originally Posted by clutchshot

They are few and far between, most are more like $15 - &20 for 9, but there are a few gems here and there.

I started out playing at a course out in the boonies where you could play from daylight to dark with a cart for $25 (and I often did just that).

those were the good old days! loved doing this as a kid. many courses are in trouble. if you are the only course around you are usually ok, but if there are more then oneyou better be the lowest price one. A superintendent buddy of mine just lost his job of 13 years because they cant afford to pay him . Same thing happened to me 3 months ago. when this stuff happens golf courses are struggling.

those were the good old days! loved doing this as a kid. many courses are in trouble. if you are the only course around you are usually ok, but if there are more then oneyou better be the lowest price one. A superintendent buddy of mine just lost his job of 13 years because they cant afford to pay him . Same thing happened to me 3 months ago. when this stuff happens golf courses are struggling.

Yeah a whole lot of courses (and the  jobs that go with them) are hanging on by a thread around here (including the one where I work).

Yeah a whole lot of courses (and the  jobs that go with them) are hanging on by a thread around here (including the one where I work).

sad thing is most golfers dont know or care that its going on. its part of the reason i get upset on here listening to golfers demands lol

I live in a community with 10 - 27 hole courses, 2 - 18 hole courses and 32 - 9 hole courses. I've been told they process more than 2 million tee times a year. Golf is not dead here. I do know that they are taking about adding 6 inch holes on a couple of the nines to accommodate the push to make it more enjoyable for beginners. They also added a a sixth tee last year, known as the "friendly" tees to accommodate the "tee it forward" campaign. Also, these tees are sloped and rated.

Bob

WITB

Driver:                         Ping I25 10.5 PWR65 stiff Flex

Fairway Woods:          Ping TiSi Tec 3, 5 and 7 graphite Cushin stiff flex

Irons:                         Pinhawk SL 5-PW 37.25 inches 

Wedges:                     Reid Lockhart 52 and 60 quad bounce, 56 dual bounce 

Putter:                        Boccieri Heavy Putter B3-M (250 gram back weight)

Ball:                            MG C4 / Wilson Duo

Grips:                         Winn DriTac midsize Blue

I am in Texas where the economy hit worse according to economists, so I guess that has an effect on my area because every course in the Houston area is always booked until about 2. I have to call before Friday to set a tee time if I want to tee off Saturday mornings. Rate of play is typically 5 hours as well. It is the same way in the Austin area and San Antonio area while I'm up here in school. If golf is taking a financial hit, I'm not seeing it..

Dylan

Twitter: @d_brock504

I am in Texas where the economy hit worse according to economists, so I guess that has an effect on my area because every course in the Houston area is always booked until about 2. I have to call before Friday to set a tee time if I want to tee off Saturday mornings. Rate of play is typically 5 hours as well. It is the same way in the Austin area and San Antonio area while I'm up here in school. If golf is taking a financial hit, I'm not seeing it..

i think it maybe a little different for places that dont play year round or are not a golf destination.

i think it maybe a little different for places that dont play year round or are not a golf destination.

That's true. And I meant to say, "I am in Texas where the economy DID NOT hit worse according to economists". My fault.

Dylan

Twitter: @d_brock504

I think golf is doing just fine here in Los Angeles county. one of the muni courses I live by is considered The busiest course in the county. most of the courses in the surrounding areas are also pretty dang busy. be nice if some these folks would Move... :-D

I guess if you live in LA with all the rich people, golf probably would be fine... In the real world Ohio, some courses are doing great, others are pretty slow. Excuse I hear most from non-golfers it is too expensive, but they go the bar and spend 3 a beer, people are dumb sometimes lol

I guess if you live in LA with all the rich people, golf probably would be fine...

In the real world Ohio, some courses are doing great, others are pretty slow.

Excuse I hear most from non-golfers it is too expensive, but they go the bar and spend 3 a beer, people are dumb sometimes lol

While I agree with you on principle, beer and golf do serve somewhat different needs.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

I guess if you live in LA with all the rich people, golf probably would be fine...

In the real world Ohio, some courses are doing great, others are pretty slow.

Excuse I hear most from non-golfers it is too expensive, but they go the bar and spend 3 a beer, people are dumb sometimes lol

I don't think it's All the Rich people. There are 100's of thousands of middle class, i.e. working class folks that probably throw more money at muni courses than the rich do. I can't speak to the private courses, on account of i never had that kind of cash to join, or even play one.. :-D

Note: This thread is 3640 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!