IGNORED

I got really POed at a golfer the green behind me.

Derrick Parker
Note: This thread is 3642 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

As long as they're not slowing up play - doesn't sound like they were - or destroying the course, who cares?

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

As long as they're not slowing up play - doesn't sound like they were - or destroying the course, who cares?

Agreed. At this point it's off topic.

Colin P.

The fact that children (and they have a legitimate right to be on the course and learn the game) are involved, makes this a serious breach of safety rules, not to speak of basic etiquette. If this happened at my club, I would have lodged a formal complaint with the course director; if it was another member involved, there would have been a formal disciplinary hearing and possibly a formal warning (you are expelled from my club with the 3rd); if it was a visitor, formal notification to his club and ban from playing on this course.

:titleist:  913D2 10.5*  913F 15* 18*  913H  21*  24*  27*    :tmade: Burner Superfast 7i  8i  9i   :vokey: Vokey SM4  48*  52*  56*  60*    :cameron:  Newport 2 Notchback (Black)      :srixon:  Z Star XV (Yellow)    :ecco:  Biom Hybrid

The fact that children (and they have a legitimate right to be on the course and learn the game) are involved, makes this a serious breach of safety rules, not to speak of basic etiquette. If this happened at my club, I would have lodged a formal complaint with the course director; if it was another member involved, there would have been a formal disciplinary hearing and possibly a formal warning (you are expelled from my club with the 3rd); if it was a visitor, formal notification to his club and ban from playing on this course.

That's is a lot of the use of the word "Formal"!

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

That's is a lot of the use of the word "Formal"!

Indeed.

:titleist:  913D2 10.5*  913F 15* 18*  913H  21*  24*  27*    :tmade: Burner Superfast 7i  8i  9i   :vokey: Vokey SM4  48*  52*  56*  60*    :cameron:  Newport 2 Notchback (Black)      :srixon:  Z Star XV (Yellow)    :ecco:  Biom Hybrid

So long as Derrick and his grandkids were maintaining the pace of play and keeping up, the playing ability of the golfer is irrelevant.  I am a strong believer that if a group can't maintain the pace of play........ they don't belong on the course. With that said, hitting into a group is never acceptable.   If my child is a victim of such aggression, the situation could get ugly fast.   I honestly don't know how I'd react.  I would definitely have a face to face talk with the offender and call the pro-shop to request he be removed.  Depending on the injury, I might call the police and have the man arrested.

If I was stuck behind a group that included kids and they fell behind and weren't keeping up, I'd skip past and go to the next hole without making an incident.

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

Yeah I really can't see the argument for keeping kids off of the course or having people master anything before playing. If that were the case I would have never played, and might still be disqualified on the "mastering" part (at least on some days). ;-) Like I've said before there has never been a time when my wife played with us (and she's certainly no master) that we ever slowed anybody down. If she hits a bad shot she picks up. We would lose most of our business if people had to be any good to play.

First off, I've been  hit with a bad shot, got hit right above my eye, to make a long story short, the guy refused to admit he did it, and would't give me his info, in case I needed medical help. I went to the course Marshall, explained what happened, and he kicked the guy that hit me, and his buddy off the course, told them Never come back. The reason for my story is, that ball could have hit your grandson in the head, or in the eye, and may have caused serious damage. If he'd done that to my Son, or grandson, there likely would have been an altercation, I have no patience for fools like the guy that hit into your grandson.

Aside from him gettin a pop in the eye, I would have contacted the Marshall, and let him deal with the doucehbag. Plus he set a Bad example for his daughter. Guys like him do not belong on a golf course.

Hope your grandson is feeling o.k.

• Upvote 1

Yeah I really can't see the argument for keeping kids off of the course or having people master anything before playing. If that were the case I would have never played, and might still be disqualified on the "mastering" part (at least on some days). ;-) Like I've said before there has never been a time when my wife played with us (and she's certainly no master) that we ever slowed anybody down. If she hits a bad shot she picks up. We would lose most of our business if people had to be any good to play.

I guess it's become the topic now, so... I never said "master", I said learn how to hit the ball - meaning no whiffs, hit the ball every time. Have you ever been behind a person who is whiffing multiple shots a hole? They should be on a range instead, don't you think? I mean for their own benefit? (Again, not that this applies to the OP's kids.)

Colin P.

There is no excuse on his part for hitting into your group and your grandson without yelling fore without and apology.  The fact that it happened again would have made me call the Pro shop to have him removed from the course.

• Upvote 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

There is never an excuse to hit into the group in front of you.  Accidents happen - sometimes players in range of a shot are out of sight for example - but it is incumbent on the person taking the shot to use the utmost caution before taking the shot.  This guy sounded like he willfully ignored the danger that comes from hitting into other golfers.  He deserved to be removed from the course for endangering other golfers.  The OP didn't mention if the offender's daughter was playing or just riding along - but you would think that someone with their child on the course would not only be overly cautious but would be supportive of someone teaching children the game.  Sad that he wasn't.

• Upvote 1

My grandsons are new to the game and they can be slow. We let people play thru quite often, when we are not waiting,  but in this case we were not holding up anyone. Also, the twosome that hit my grandson were playing slower than we were, people were piling up behind them. That of course only made me angrier. I had the urge to tell the twosome behind them, "tee off! the man in the green side bunker (where his ball landed after hitting Carson) he won't care!"

Derrick.

• Upvote 1

In my  bag:

Driver, Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 9.5 stiff

3, 5 woods: Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15,18 degrees Stiff

2 hybrid: Callaway Diable Edge Tour 18 degrees R (out when the 5 wood is in)

3,6 hybrids: Callaway Diablo Edge 21 S and 30 degrees R

4,5 hybrids: Callaway Razr X HL 24 and 27 degrees Stiff

7-AW irons: Callaway Razr HL graphite R shafts 

SW 54 Callaway X Series Jaws CC Slate Fujikura Graphite Stiff

Putter: Odessey White Ice 1 Blade Putter. 

Ball...looking for any ball that hates water, sand, long grass, and getting lost in the woods. 

I can't find any, so forced to use ones that seem to love all the above. 

Call the course office, explain what happened, and tell the office that they have about 60 seconds to have someone meet you on the offender's tee. Then calmly walk up to the offender and ask him how he would have reacted if it were you hitting his kid with a ball instead of him hitting your kid. Then tell him he has two options: 1) give your kid $50 as an apology and to sit out until at least 6 groups play through; 2) leave the course and never come back and wait to be contacted by your attorney and possibly the police due to his obvious irresponsibility and potentially dangerous or lethal actions on the course. But then this is all already past so not much to do about it now. I hope the bruise heals well and does not generate any blood clotting issues.

Taylormade M2 driver @ 9.5*+2

TM M6 D-type 3wood 16*, 
TM M2 Rescue 3H@19* and 4H@22* ,
TM RocketBladez irons 5-9,PW,AW, SW(23*,26.5*,30.5*,35*,40*,45*,50*,55*),
TM Hi-Toe 60* wedge,
Ping Karsten 1959 Craz-E, or a Scotty
Bushnell Tour V3 rangefinder

I guess it's become the topic now, so...

I never said "master", I said learn how to hit the ball - meaning no whiffs, hit the ball every time. Have you ever been behind a person who is whiffing multiple shots a hole? They should be on a range instead, don't you think? I mean for their own benefit?

(Again, not that this applies to the OP's kids.)

I know you didn't say "master" but somebody else did. ;-)

I think learning to hit the ball on the range (or in the yard) is great and that's what I would do if I had kids starting to play. I also think I can take anybody, no matter how bad they are, to the golf course and "play" without a problem because I am all about picking up after a bad shot.

Well, my grandsons are learning quite a bit on the golf course. One of those things is that some adults behavior is less mature than that of a 14 or 12 year old boy.

In my  bag:

Driver, Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 9.5 stiff

3, 5 woods: Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15,18 degrees Stiff

2 hybrid: Callaway Diable Edge Tour 18 degrees R (out when the 5 wood is in)

3,6 hybrids: Callaway Diablo Edge 21 S and 30 degrees R

4,5 hybrids: Callaway Razr X HL 24 and 27 degrees Stiff

7-AW irons: Callaway Razr HL graphite R shafts 

SW 54 Callaway X Series Jaws CC Slate Fujikura Graphite Stiff

Putter: Odessey White Ice 1 Blade Putter. 

Ball...looking for any ball that hates water, sand, long grass, and getting lost in the woods. 

I can't find any, so forced to use ones that seem to love all the above. 

Today is the first day I have gotten really mad at a golfer other than myself. I am playing with my two grandsons, 14 and 12. They are newbies and so they are hacking the ball a bit down the fairway doing their two month best.  We are on a par three over the water hole, about 135 yards from the whites, 85 yards from the women's junior tees. I hit my seven over the water at the pin about 145 yards and land just on the back edge of the green, pin high. The boys are trying to get over from the red tees, Austen, the oldest,  made it with two shots.. Carson, the youngest used his kids driver, which turned out to be too much club and he flew the green to the top of a small hill just to the back right of the green.  He and I head around the green to find his ball while Austen decides to retrieve his first shot, which he skulled, from the water. He gets it and as he is walking around the lake, the guy behind us decides to tee off. His ball  hits Carson's upper leg,  on the fly  while he is up on the hill still looking for his ball

No warning, no fore, no nothing. I start yelling at the guy that we are on the green you jerk and we have people in front of us as well on the next tee so chill out!  He just stands there with his arms crossed, and his daughter next to him, with this screw you expression on his face.  I told the boys to pick up their balls and lets move on. However, if the guy does the same thing at the next hole, he may find his club flying into the lake.

I admit I let it get to me. We were not holding them up because of a foursome in front of us, and I don't see how teeing off on a par three can be accidental.  I understand not waiting for the green to clear on par 5 or a long 4 but 135 yards? Give me a break.

I was not sure if there is any kind of proper reaction to this kind of lack of good golf manners.

Kudos for not beating the guy in the face until blood is spraying everywhere with a 6-iron!!!! I'm not sure I could have handled it as well in your scenario if someone tagged my son when the playing area was clearly not open!!!!!!

My son is a very good player and he's been hit once many years ago when he was 12 at Myrtle Beach grouped with a husband and wife. On one particular hole my son drove it past the woman about 30 yards in the left rough. I pulled up to his ball and the woman from the fairway hit this skull pull shank that hops like three times on the ground and barely taps my son in the leg. You would have thought she shot him with a high powered rifle she felt so bad. My son and I chuckled about it but she felt really bad and spent the rest of the round apologizing. They were a very nice couple and I kept telling them it was OK.

Obviously there are others that don't have a brain! I hope I'm never in the situation you described!!!!!!!

In My Bag:
Driver: :Cobra Amp Cell Pro 9.5*, Stock X-Flex

3 Wood: :Cobra Bio Cell 16*, Stock X-Flex

5 Wood: Cobra Bio Cell 20*, Stock S-Flex
Irons: Bridgestone J40-CB 3-PW, Project-X 6.0

Gap Wedge::Vokey: 52* CNC  

Sand Wedge: :Vokey: 58* CNC  

Putters: Scotty Cameron Newport II 

Ball: Bridgestone 330-S(2014)

Note: This thread is 3642 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!