IGNORED

My Swing (CarlSpackler)

CarlSpackler
Note: This thread is 2609 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Took some videos Saturday afternoon, but didn't notice much difference from the last. Played yesterday with @saevel25 and ended up with a triple digit score. I expected it to be bad from tee to green given, but short game was bad too. Hopefully from not spending enough time on the course this year.

- Shane

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Went to the range last night and focused on keeping my left arm straighter and keeping my arms closer together and more connected to my torso. In the down the line shot, I'm not looking down at the ball as @mvmac suggested early on. I find this really hard to do for some reason.

My observations:

Ball flight was crisp and pretty consistent. I plan to set up some alignment sticks in front of me at some point to gauge, but it seemed that ball started slightly right of target line and drew back.

Head is moving forward and down and then falling back. I always thought my head was still. Not good!

Weight forward seems to be pretty good except for getting it there without moving my head.

Left wrist appears to be pretty flat at impact (see pic below), but still cups after. I also notice the shaft flex appears to be springing through impact, not in the downswing. I'm guessing this is a good thing?

I still have a little over the top move, but the club is still coming from the inside before impact. I can't tell from the video if I hit the sweet spot, but they had that nice buttery feel. Mizunos are pretty good at letting you know. Several shots were more towards the toe.

Left arm is bowed, but seems to be pretty consistent throughout the swing. Sorta Lee Westwoodish. Not sure I want to model my swing after him though.

Not where I need to be, but I see definite improvement over where I started this madness over a month ago (first photo vs. second). I guess you can teach an old dog new tricks. Thanks everyone for your help!

4-20-14 Gap Wedge Front

5-19-14 8i Front

- Shane

I think the shaft "springing" is a trick of the camera.

Otherwise, it is looking better to me.

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

I think the shaft "springing" is a trick of the camera.

Otherwise, it is looking better to me.

I actually just stumbled across that thread and was coming back to put in an edit.

- Shane

I just signed up for Evolvr. Boy do I feel sorry for you guys.

Nice! Great to hear

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Played 9 tonight in work league. Split the first fairway and put second to about 8'. Barely missed the putt. Pulled next tee shot but recovered nicely with hybrid (par 5) only to chunk a PW and bogey. I haven't had so many topped shots in forever. Took a 10 on the 7th par 4. Ended up with 54.

- Shane

Played 9 tonight in work league. Split the first fairway and put second to about 8'. Barely missed the putt. Pulled next tee shot but recovered nicely with hybrid (par 5) only to chunk a PW and bogey. I haven't had so many topped shots in forever. Took a 10 on the 7th par 4. Ended up with 54.

It's just a game, and we've all been there. Stay strong in spirit no matter how much the golfing gods throw at you. I've worked with @mvmac too and it takes time to make changes. Also, it takes time to make changes and bring them to the course. Over time, things will improve, you'll understand how to better balance practice with play, and things will come around.

Edit: Just noticed you signed up for evolvr only today. Good stuff. Be patient, listen, ask questions, slow things down, keep it simple. Tiger's right when he calls it a process because it is. It's hard to be positive coming off a tough round, but the great Dicky Fox said it best:

Constantine

It's just a game, and we've all been there. Stay strong in spirit no matter how much the golfing gods throw at you. I've worked with @mvmac too and it takes time to make changes. Also, it takes time to make changes and bring them to the course. Over time, things will improve, you'll understand how to better balance practice with play, and things will come around.

Edit: Just noticed you signed up for evolvr only today. Good stuff. Be patient, listen, ask questions, slow things down, keep it simple. Tiger's right when he calls it a process because it is. It's hard to be positive coming off a tough round, but the great Dicky Fox said it best:

Thanks! I always try to take the positive. For instance, I hit a nasty bunker shot right next to the lip (see pic - my ball is the one in the back of the bunker closest to the camera) to about 3.5' and saved par. It's almost like I am not focusing unless it is a difficult shot. I definitely understand what you're saying. It's a process. I just hate posting these whoppers into the GHIN which I just started. I've posted scores using ESC from my unofficial handicap calculation which would be 7, but I'm wondering if I should be doing that or posting the gross.

- Shane

Thanks! I always try to take the positive. For instance, I hit a nasty bunker shot right next to the lip (see pic - my ball is the one in the back of the bunker closest to the camera) to about 3.5' and saved par. It's almost like I am not focusing unless it is a difficult shot. I definitely understand what you're saying. It's a process. I just hate posting these whoppers into the GHIN which I just started. I've posted scores using ESC from my unofficial handicap calculation which would be 7, but I'm wondering if I should be doing that or posting the gross.

Well I have actually had a few decent scores recently, but from the tees I play from are only 6000 yards and rated 69/122.  With my distance, I feel I would score considerably less from the longer tees.  The longest set of tees on my home course are around 6500.  Playing from those tees would leave me with a lot of long irons/hybrids into the greens, and I would also struggle to reach some holes.

Back to the bolded comment.  I don't have an official handicap, but I do feel a little sheepish posting the scores in my swing thread.  Especially when I see the scores that guys like @saevel25 and @Golfingdad post in theirs.  Both of those guys would kick my butt if we played straight up.

-Matt-

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

Well I have actually had a few decent scores recently, but from the tees I play from are only 6000 yards and rated 69/122.  With my distance, I feel I would score considerably less from the longer tees.  The longest set of tees on my home course are around 6500.  Playing from those tees would leave me with a lot of long irons/hybrids into the greens, and I would also struggle to reach some holes.

Back to the bolded comment.  I don't have an official handicap, but I do feel a little sheepish posting the scores in my swing thread.  Especially when I see the scores that guys like @saevel25 and @Golfingdad post in theirs.  Both of those guys would kick my butt if we played straight up.

I wouldn't worry about it. @saevel25 got to witness the ugliness that is my game firsthand last Sunday, even the real ugly swings where the club comes out of my hands afterwards. I'm looking at it this way. It will be all that much sweeter to post lower scores in the future.

- Shane

Back to the bolded comment.  I don't have an official handicap, but I do feel a little sheepish posting the scores in my swing thread.  Especially when I see the scores that guys like @saevel25 and @Golfingdad post in theirs.  Both of those guys would kick my butt if we played straight up.

That's why you play with a handicap :-D , it's the ultimate equalizer!!

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Observation... my left hip into my left cheek has been quite sore this week as I've been focusing, and improving I think, on getting my weight more forward. Is this normal?

- Shane

Observation... my left hip into my left cheek has been quite sore this week as I've been focusing, and improving I think, on getting my weight more forward. Is this normal?

Not sure if it is normal, but I have issues with soreness in the same area.  I notice it from posting up on the front leg, and twisting.  It will also happen to me if I try to pitch a baseball a lot.

Before I play or hit balls I always try to stretch it out.  I lay on my back and pull my left knee up toward my right shoulder.

-Matt-

It's definitely working some different muscles. Went to the range tonight and really felt it afterwards. Liking what I'm seeing though. Should have video up tomorrow on here and Evolvr.

- Shane

Was pretty happy with ball flight last night. Head is still moving quite a bit in both front and DTL views. Hands seem to be a little bit more forward at impact than before. Slowly getting there. I tried taking video with a camera on a tripod, but the quality blew. I had m son rest my iPhone on the tripod at least to keep it still.

- Shane

Note: This thread is 2609 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!