IGNORED

High Handicap SW

Note: This thread is 6074 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

There is a great thread on wedges, but most of the replies are low cappers. I am a higher handicap and need a sand wedge that can also be played out on the course. I can hit my PW anywhere from 95 to 125, depending on my swing type. I am having to use my PW out of the sand currently and it is not working out too well. On the course I tend to "pick it" cleaner than taking a huge divot. I am learning about lag, but am not there yet

Do I spend the money and get a great club like the titleist or is there a better option for me? Thanks. I love this place, such a help to us high cappers.

Get something with a lot of bounce. It makes sand shots almost automatic. I've got several wedges, and the easiest to hit of them all is the Cleveland 588 Recovery Sole 60°. It simply pops the ball out of ugly lies like no other.

Hitting a PW out of sand is tough because of no bounce on the club sole so it naturally digs in instead of slides under. Picking in clean is about only way to fly with a PW. That works for flat bunker with low sides.

Pretty much any standard SW should work for you if you want to blast it out instead for higher lip bunkers. I struggle with sand myself and a few years ago got a "Lovett" wedge off an infomercial on golf channel. It has a more curved spoon shape to dig through sand better for high-handicappers. They had similar thing a few years ago with "alien" wedge too I think.
-Mike

Driver: 450cc, 12 degree
Irons: Rifle steel shafts
Fairway Woods: R7 HybridPutter: Marilyn GPS: Garmin Golflogix GPS-8

A used vokey should be good. I got mine for $50 and in great condition.

What's In My Bag

Driver R9 Supertri 9.5
3 WoodR9
3 Hybrid: Baffler DWSIrons X-20 Tour 4-PWGap Wedge RAC TP SmokeSand Wedge Vokey 56.14Lob Wedge Vokey SM 60.7Putter:SeeMore FGP Black

A used vokey should be good. I got mine for $50 and in great condition.

I think you should get a great wedge instead of buying a crappy one.

Like KingCobra said, there are so many used Vokey and other great wedges out there on ebay. I picked up my x-tour for $40

I'm a high handicapper and I love my Clevelands. The face forward wedges look interesting but I wonder whether they truly work better.

In my bag:

Driver: Wishon 915CFE, 420cc, SK Fiber Lite Revolution I
Irons: Tommy Armour 845 FS - PW - 3
Hybrid: Adams Idea 21 deg.Wedges: Cleveland 900 52 deg., 56 deg. TA588 60 deg.Putter: Generic mallet style

All wedges are great, just some work better for some people. I've went to Cobra Fp irons and wedges. The wedges are made like irons and are easy to hit, they are other companies that do this as well. I call them cheater wedges, easy to hit out of tight lies and hard ground.

Driver: Cobra HS9 X 9.0 YS Stiff
Hybrid: Cobra baffler DWS 16* NV Stiff
Hybrid: Cobra baffler DWS 20* NV Stiff
Irons: King Cobra FP 4-LW
Putter: Cobra Optica SL-01 Ball: Bridgestone B330

I'm a high capper, and love my vokey! Looking for a 58 or 60 to go along with it.

Got mine on ebay 9/10 condition for 40 bucks!
in the bag:
R580XD 10.5°
Rescue Dual 19°
Titleist 755 4-PW
Vokey Black Nickel 54.10° Vokey Oil Can 60.08° Circa 62 No. 2 Charcoal Mist

Get something with a lot of bounce. It makes sand shots almost automatic. I've got several wedges, and the easiest to hit of them all is the Cleveland 588 Recovery Sole 60°. It simply pops the ball out of ugly lies like no other.

I second the 588 Recovery Sole, it is so easy to hit well it's magic. Pitching and sand shots are almost automatic. Get one, you'll love it. I got one for my son who doesn't practice much, he is very consistent with it. Made the mistake of letting his mom try it, now I have to buy one for her.

In my Nexos
HiBore XLS Draw Driver
X-hybrid 4,5
Fusion Wide Sole 6-AW
Black Pearl CG10 54/14, CG12 DSG 64 Vokey SM Oil Can 60/8 Spider Pro V1x HX Hot Bite

I'm a high handicapper and I love my Clevelands. The face forward wedges look interesting but I wonder whether they truly work better.

I've got one of the FaceForward wedges in 60°. It's a very nice wedge and is quite useful all around the green. I can open it up and flop a shot that's just softer than a satin pillow or close it up and move my hands forward and chip with a nice bump and roll. I don't think I've ever mis-hit that club, come to think of it...

The cleveland 588 rs is it easy to hit off tight lies, hard ground, and bunkers. I currently use the cobra fp sand wedge for this, for me it is easier to use than the vokey 56 and 60. I'm thinking of getting the cobra fp lob wedge. I like the reviews and looks of the 588rs.

In Your Bag

Nike Sumo2 5900
Adams Speedline 9032TI
Adams A4 Hybrid Irons 3-LWRife 2 Bar Hybrid PutterSrixon Z Star XAdams Cart Bag

I would also like to know more about the 588rs.

It's a fantastic club, and I highly recommend it. Go hit a few at your local retailer, if they've got them. If not, pick up one off Ebay. If you hate it (not bloody likely) you can always resell it for close to what you paid.

I'm going to try to go this afternoon. Thanks I use the cobra fp sand wedge for this and works well, I need a 60 similiar to it. I beleive this is it. Thanks

Ettsn: I am going to hit the 588rs this weekend, and I see that you are from ATL. Does the 588rs still play well off the hard pan that sometimes happens in the summer heat? That is where my issue lies. I need the higher bounce for bunker play but I do not want to buy two clubs, one for sand and one for regular play

Oh yeah, thank all for the replies

Note: This thread is 6074 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!