IGNORED

2014 Wells Fargo Championship Discussion Thread

mvmac
Note: This thread is 3637 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

The tour moves into North Carolina for the Wells Fargo Championship this week at the famed Quail Hollow Golf Course. The Wells Fargo Championship will provide a $6.9 Million Dollar purse.

A T-8 finish from Justin Rose Sunday in New Orleans was enough to bump Rory McIlroy out of the top 10 in the world for the first time in 169 weeks (2011). McIlroy is in the field this week.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

First good field since the Masters. It was a good field last year but Derek Ernst came out with the win. Hasn't done anything since then.

I moved to Charlotte last July, and I live about 1.5 miles from the course.  My wife got me a weekly pass for my birthday back in Feb, and yesterday was my first chance to get out on the course.  I can see why the PGA championship will be hosted there in 2017.  Aside from the technical aspects like the course being very spacious and accomodating to a large crowd, its a very interesting (and challenging) layout.  Oh, and the fact that it's asthetically a beautiful course certainly doesn't hurt.

I'm really looking forward to the opportunity to get out for the tournament rounds this weekend.  We moved to Charlotte from Philladelphia, and the tour doesn't stop there very often (aside from the US Open last year and the AT&T; in 2010 and 2011).

If anyone lives in the Charlotte area and/or has connections that could arrange a round at Quail Hollow, I would be eternally grateful.  I'm a 6.9 HCP, very personable, and my etiquette on and off the course is very respectful (I also like long walks on the beach and getting caught in the rain ;-) ).

Derek

Driver:       Cobra AMP Cell - Blue

Fairway:    TM Rocketballz Stage 2  *17
Hybrids:    Callaway X2 Hot 19* and 22*
Irons:        Mizuno MX-23 5-PW
Wedges:   Cleveland 588  51*, 56*, 60*

Putter:      Scotty Cameron GoLo Customized

Ball:          Srixon Z Star (2013)

First good field since the Masters. It was a good field last year but Derek Ernst came out with the win. Hasn't done anything since then.

Yeah is a nice field this week looking forward to seeing Rory and Phil back in action.

Yeah is a nice field this week looking forward to seeing Rory and Phil back in action.

I was surprised to learn though that none of the top 8 players on the OWGR are playing this week.

Let's hope Quail Hollow has their greens in shape after last year's debacle.

In my UnderArmour Links stand bag...

Driver: '07 Burner 9.5° (stiff graphite shaft)
Woods: SasQuatch 17° 4-Wood (stiff graphite shaft)
Hybrid: 4DX Ironwood 20° (stiff graphite shaft)Irons/Wedges: Apex Edge 3-PW, GW, SW (stiff shaft); Carnoustie 60° LWPutter: Rossa AGSI+ Corzina...

The greens complexes have been r-laid with MiniVerde Bermudagrass so there won't be any problems with the greens. Course Director quoting that they will be firm as they haven't established as much as they'd have liked due to a cool spring.  I'm also surprised that the field is so weak this year.  Shame as the tournament and Wells Fargo deserve much better.  Any views on why the depth of field is lower this year?

The greens complexes have been r-laid with MiniVerde Bermudagrass so there won't be any problems with the greens. Course Director quoting that they will be firm as they haven't established as much as they'd have liked due to a cool spring.  I'm also surprised that the field is so weak this year.  Shame as the tournament and Wells Fargo deserve much better.  Any views on why the depth of field is lower this year?

Only caught the tail end of the discussion on morning drive today but it sounded like they were talking about how bad of shape a lot of the greens were in. Combination of the cold/wet weather and some product they put on them that really messed them up??

As for the field, I think being the week before the Players doesn't help. You've then got Jack's tournament two weeks after that and the Open two weeks after that so there aren't many rest weeks for folks between now and then. Either way though, you would think there should be a better field this week.

A couple pics I took at Monday's practice round.  The pic of the house below belongs to John Fox (Broncos head coach).

• Upvote 1

Only caught the tail end of the discussion on morning drive today but it sounded like they were talking about how bad of shape a lot of the greens were in. Combination of the cold/wet weather and some product they put on them that really messed them up??

I think you may have heard them talking about the greens at TPC Sawgrass for the Players next week.  The greens at Quail Hollow looked fantastic!

That's what happened last year. Long story short, the club was already so invested in the transition to Bermuda greens that it let the existing bent greens get away from them before the tournament. New Bermuda greens are usually firm the first year; the 17th tee has been moved back to where the 16th fairway used to be. There are going to be a ton of bailing out to the right on that hole if they play all the way back.

In my UnderArmour Links stand bag...

Driver: '07 Burner 9.5° (stiff graphite shaft)
Woods: SasQuatch 17° 4-Wood (stiff graphite shaft)
Hybrid: 4DX Ironwood 20° (stiff graphite shaft)Irons/Wedges: Apex Edge 3-PW, GW, SW (stiff shaft); Carnoustie 60° LWPutter: Rossa AGSI+ Corzina...

It's been a while since I've seen Angel Cabrera in good form. Leader at -6.

Seung Yul Noh might go "cut, Win, cut" if he doesn't pull it together tomorrow. +4 on the day.

Joel Holden

https://twitter.com/JHolden138

Cabrera was in good form in two of the four majors last year, but in a regular PGA tourney, the last time I remember him contention was at the Quail Hollow Championship 4 years ago when McIlroy won. Cabrera actually led that tourney going into the back 9.

My favorite golfer D.A. Points shot a even 72 today. I hope he can have another solid round tomorrow so I can follow him over the weekend online.

Driver: Taylormade RBZ :tmade: Irons: Titleist AP1 :titleist: PW-4 All other clubs are needing upgrading as I am able to afford it.

OK listen to this, Chesson Hadley's caddie tripped on the pavement, fell down while carrying the bag, and ended up bending the putter.

Whats weird? Why didn't they let him replace the putter? They made him use it after inspecting it.

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha 10.5* 

3WD:  Callaway Big Bertha 15* / X2 Hot H4 Hybrid
Irons:  Callaway Apex 4-PW Project X 5.5 shafts

Wedges: Callaway MackDaddy 2  52/58
Putter: Odyessey Metal X Milled 1

Just checked the top ten..Would any of you have guessed that many of these guys would be where they are..?  I woulda guessed Phil, but that's about it.

Wow! Phil played LIGHTS OUT today, that was awesome! He is finally putting some really good rounds together, and that 63 today was great. He was driving the ball well.

After missing the Masters cut, he comes back first tourney and plays well. That is Phil, he can turn it around at any time.

GO PHIL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha 10.5* 

3WD:  Callaway Big Bertha 15* / X2 Hot H4 Hybrid
Irons:  Callaway Apex 4-PW Project X 5.5 shafts

Wedges: Callaway MackDaddy 2  52/58
Putter: Odyessey Metal X Milled 1

Note: This thread is 3637 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!