IGNORED

My Swing (ttaggart)

ttaggart
Note: This thread is 3643 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I've been Playing Golf for: 10+ yrs, serious for last 2

My current handicap index or average score is: 12

My typical ball flight is: Driver - low draw, but very inconsistent. Irons are normal flight with a draw

The shot I hate or the "miss" I'm trying to reduce/eliminate is: Snap hook with driver

My biggest issue is with my driver. I'd love comments on my driver swing specifically but I posted my irons swings as well for comparison. Thanks in advance.

Ive been working on trying to hing my wrists more but I hit the ball fairly far, 170yds for 7 iron. So I dont think that's what is causing my inconsistencies with the driver. Ive noticed that I push my hips towards the ball on the downswing. I believe you want your glutes to be on the same line throughout the takeaway and downswing. As if your but was lightly touching a wall behind you. Anyone else think this could be an issue?

Ive been working on trying to hing my wrists more but I hit the ball fairly far, 170yds for 7 iron. So I dont think that's what is causing my inconsistencies with the driver.

Ive noticed that I push my hips towards the ball on the downswing. I believe you want your glutes to be on the same line throughout the takeaway and downswing. As if your but was lightly touching a wall behind you.

Anyone else think this could be an issue?

I can't say if it is an issue or not.. What I did notice is that you have a pretty good swing, but you don't really turn your hips much on the back swing.  If you take a look you will see that your hips kind of turn in the beginning slightly and then that is about it.

This is most likely caused by the fact that your feet are both pointing straight ahead.. so this is really limiting your turning.. The first thing you will hear is that you should turn the feet out about 20* or so each way to allow the hips to be able to turn better.

Your head is pretty steady on the backswing, but you might have some weight forward issues (i.e. Key# 2) and that is why there is inconsistency because you are unable to control your low point in your swing, so your always hitting the ball in a different spot in your path.. i.e. sometimes you catch it going out a lot more than others and thus when you really catch it going out it just hooks.

Then again I'm not a professional or anything like that, so most likely the best advice you can get from me is join the guys on Evolvr and or visit one of the 5SK teachers personally and your HC will drop quickly!

Nice swing and good luck!  Welcome to the site!

• Upvote 1

:adams: / :tmade: / :edel: / :aimpoint: / :ecco: / :bushnell: / :gamegolf: / 

Eyad

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Not an instructor here but ...

Your setup and backswing both look pretty good to me, but there are 3 things that stand out to me in your downswing and follow-through:

1. Along the lines of what @Strandly said, if you freeze the driver face-on video at A5 (arm parallel in downswing) you'll see that the club is pointed back away from the target some (let's call it 10 o clock).  The wrists aren't hinged much, or there's no lag, you're starting to release, cast, etc.  Whatever you call it, I think it's draining a lot of potential power.  I think at that point, the club should be more at the noon or one o clock position.
  2. You get way up on your right toe at and through impact.  When I used to do that (occasionally still do) it would lead to pull hooks.  However, I also used to drive my right knee out towards the ball, and you don't really do that, so maybe it's not an issue.
  3. Lastly, it looks like your weight/hips don't get forward enough as you seem to fall back after impact, kind of like with a baseball swing.

Again, I'm not an instructor, so I don't know if any of these is your priority, but those are what I see.

Good luck.

From what my Old eyes see, is that you seem to be swinging slightly out to in which could cause a pull/pull hook. I have/had the same problem. I try to focus on swinging in to out, sometimes I have to exaggerate the move for a couple of swings. Once I get the right path, the pulls, and hooks stop, I also stop hitting on the toe of my irons. No expert, but maybe this could be what's causing your ball flight..?

From what my Old eyes see, is that you seem to be swinging slightly out to in which could cause a pull/pull hook. I have/had the same problem. I try to focus on swinging in to out, sometimes I have to exaggerate the move for a couple of swings. Once I get the right path, the pulls, and hooks stop, I also stop hitting on the toe of my irons. No expert, but maybe this could be what's causing your ball flight..?

If all of his ball flights are draws it is hard for me to believe that his path is out-in.. I would think that he ends up with a swing path that is way too far right and swing his body doesn't get forward enough like Golfing dad mentioned and it is an all arm swing and he doesn't control the speed he just ends up hitting out so much that it just snap hooks.  Just a thought!

Eyad

If all of his ball flights are draws it is hard for me to believe that his path is out-in.. I would think that he ends up with a swing path that is way too far right and swing his body doesn't get forward enough like Golfing dad mentioned and it is an all arm swing and he doesn't control the speed he just ends up hitting out so much that it just snap hooks.  Just a thought!

Well, like I said, these OLD eyes..lol  Also that's why I put a question mark after my statement... :-D

• Administrator

Think again. :)

Swing path can be left ("out to in") or INward. Face closed to that = pull-draws, face square-ish = pulls.

Path is highly unlikely to be too much OUTward there. If anything it's ONline to INward.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Swing path can be left ("out to in") or INward. Face closed to that = pull-draws, face square-ish = pulls.

Path is highly unlikely to be too much OUTward there. If anything it's ONline to INward.

So, I wasn't completely wrong then..?

Sorry ttaggart for highjacking your thread.. :beer:

I stand corrected.  Thanks Erik.

So, I wasn't completely wrong then..?

Sorry ttaggart for highjacking your thread..

Nice job Hammer!

Eyad

Note: This thread is 3643 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!