IGNORED

Will a mallet style putter help me...?

amac
Note: This thread is 3593 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

If you're making contact on the toe side of center, you could possibly be aligned too far back from the ball? Sounds like you've already chosen a putter... But I myself switched from an old Ping Karsten blade style putter to an Odyssey Rossie style putter about 5 or 6 years ago. At the time I was trying out all sorts of putters. There were blade putters I liked better than mallet putters, and vice versa. Ultimately I chose the Odyssey Rossie based on how it looked when standing over the ball. It just seemed "right", which makes me feel confident and comfortable over putts. To me, blade versus mallet didn't make a difference... The best fit just wound up being a mallet. So, one should just find what suites them best, regardless of blade or mallet style.

What are your putting stroke dynamics? How were you "tested"? Was it on a SAM PuttLab? I could pretty safely wager money that you're accelerating too much/for too long.

I have no idea what you mean. My stroke is gate style - slightly in then back to square.

Driver :tmade: R1

Fairwaywood :tmade: Rocketballz Stage 2 15*

Hybrids :ping: i15 20* and 23* Hybrids

Irons :mizuno: MP64 4 - PW

Wedges :edel: 54* and 58* 

Putter :edel: 

Golf Ball :titleist: Pro V1 

• Administrator
I have no idea what you mean. My stroke is gate style - slightly in then back to square.

Yeah, the path is not what I'm talking about. I am talking about the dynamics - rates of motion, how you accelerate as well as how much, when, for how long, etc. It directly pertains to your distance control.

If you don't know what I'm talking about, you didn't get a very great lesson IMO. The vast, vast majority of people with distance control issues (with a putter that fits them this only goes up to basically 100%) have poor dynamics.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Yeah, the path is not what I'm talking about. I am talking about the dynamics - rates of motion, how you accelerate as well as how much, when, for how long, etc. It directly pertains to your distance control. If you don't know what I'm talking about, you didn't get a very great lesson IMO. The vast, vast majority of people with distance control issues (with a putter that fits them this only goes up to basically 100%) have poor dynamics.

Yeah. There was no video monitoring at this location. But I'm curious, what's your theory about my accelerating stroke? I do tend to be slow back and firm through.

• Administrator

Yeah. There was no video monitoring at this location. But I'm curious, what's your theory about my accelerating stroke? I do tend to be slow back and firm through.

That's my theory, basically. "Firm through" says you're accelerating a bunch.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

That's my theory, basically. "Firm through" says you're accelerating a bunch.

....so that's why I'm hitting it on the toe end?

• Administrator

....so that's why I'm hitting it on the toe end?

No. Your path is probably to blame there.

You should find someone with a SAM PuttLab. And you should read this: .

Keep a closet full of putters and pick out which one you think will work that day.  I think Jim Furyk and a few other pros use that method.

You need to Chutt it! Simply make a chipping stroke with your putter. When facing long putts where the putting stroke would feel unnaturally long I hit the ball with a chipping stroke instead.

Just try it out on the putting green and you´ll be amazed how easy it is to chipp with a putter :)

I should have my had examined for buying another putter! But, I feel like I'm not getting any punch out of my blade. I hope the mallet provides what I'm looking for.

I'd say it's the one club you must be happy with 100% trust it so get one you are confident to use all the time from long to short putts

• 2 weeks later...

I am pretty sure I got to the bottom of my putting woe's - NERVES!!!  I had 12 birdie putts yesterday and noticed how smooth my practice swings were.  Then, when I addressed my ball, I felt my hands begin to slightly tremble.  My putting stroke felt a bit wobbly and my touch was greatly affected.  Luckily, the greens were rolling smooth and fast and my putts seemed to track to the hole.  But, nonetheless, the nerves were definitely impacting my stroke.  I'm glad to report no three putts and I converted three of the 12 birdie opportunities.  One of them from about 25'.

Also wanted to point out that after reading iacas post on putting about taking the putter back further on longer putts vs. shorter and harder has made a huge difference in my distance putting.  Thanks ;-)

I thought a mallet would help me, but really made me much worse. I struggle with the same things. went back to a blade and i am much better. The mallet has a completely different feel one in which i did not care for. It was NOT as forgiving, and harder to adjust to how hard to tap the ball.

What did help me was the right length. i went from a 34" mallet to a 35" blade and that made a big difference. Make sure your putter length is right first.

I just lost my blade putter. I went to a few different sporting goods stores, I was playing the next two days and I needed a putter.

I tried several different putters. I noticed the the higher quality mallets were more stable on my take away. They also set up nicely behind the ball, I putted well with it and expect to get better with a little more time with it. Happy I made the switch. Mallets are better for me.

In my bag....

Bombtech Grenade driver. 10.5* Aldila DVS60 stiff, 45"

Ping i20 irons, ProjectX5.5. 5 thru PW.

Tour Edge 3 Hybrid, Adams A7 4Hybrid

Titelist SM4 52-8. 56-12

Cleveland RTX 60-12 wedge.

Tour Edge xcg5 15* 3 Wood

Cheap crappy Wilson putter that works as well as anything for me.

It's a work in progress, I've only been playing for going on two years or so.

A few thoughts/questions on improving your putting.

First, totally agree with Iacas.  I got fitted for my Edel when I was about a 18 handicap in 2010-11.  Like you, I was displeased.  I used a Taylormade Spider Mallet and a Odyssey 2-ball mallet before "returning" to my Edel about two years ago.  It hasn't left since.  The bottom line is that a putter that fits you is what you need.  Its not the putter.  Don't make the mistake I did.  The putter feels great in my hands and promotes a solid setup since it is fit to your stance / height, etc...  Most importantly, you aim it very well (most likely).  Its not the arrow, its the indian.

What is your preshot routine like with the putter?  What do you think about?  How do you aim (i.e. do you see a line in your head, do you try to calculate it consciously, is it all feel, etc..) ?

Can you briefly describe how you practice with the putter?  How many days a week?  How many putts?  What sort of drills do you do?  Do you ever use rails or clips or a track?  Do you practice with a  metronome?  Do you ever video yourself?

Finally (and most importantly), are you using a consistent ball?  Do you make sure you have the same ball for all practicing and all shots on the course? (or at least a similar ball).  Pelz (I know, people here aren't a huge fan) has done tests with his "perfy" robots that there can be as much as a *Four* foot spread on long putts with different balls with the same force.  Do you make sure to use the same ball every time?  It was very hard for me to develop good "feel" when I switched the ball up constantly.

While I got a lot out of the Pelz book, this book is the best I've read on putting (even though somewhat old):

http://www.amazon.com/Lights-Out-Putting-Approach-Golfs-Within/dp/0809224402

So, the new Edel mallet made it's way into my bag last weekend.  I've played 3 rounds with it and all I can say is, WOW!  I wish I had received this putter  to begin with.  First, the setup of this putter is nearly identical to the first Edel blade I received.  The aiming lines, loft and my personalized grip are all the same.  Due to the way the mallet sits, the lie is 1/2* higher up and the overall weight is slightly heavier.

The real differences are the insert and face balancing.  My blade didn't have the insert and I can definitely tell a difference when striking putts of any length.  The insert feels much better (to me).  I am looking to the insert to provide some forgiveness on off-centers strikes.  By face balancing, this putter doesn't balance 100%, but it's not toe down like my blade.  I would say it's about a 20-30* angle when balanced on my finger.  For me, this creates a stable feel on the backswing.  I especially notice the stability on short putts / short strokes.  The face feels very square and the stroke feels very smooth.  I've had several long putts in the last 3 rounds.  My distance control has been very good.  Whats more, my accuracy has been even better. :-)

In the end, I'm glad I went through with the new Edel.  I feel very confident with this putter.  I now I have two Edel putters I can aim equally well.  If something ever happens to the one in play, I have a backup ready to go. ;-) When I get a minute, I will try to post some picks of the pair.

Here a few shots of my two Edels. Very similar setups.

Here is a shot of my blade. I commented on the softness of the steel in another thread. You can see the strike marks on the face of the putter. I don't know what's causing the marks to appear. There are lots more than shown and they are not as bad as they appear. Also, you can see where most of my contact is taking place.

Note: This thread is 3593 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!