IGNORED

REALLY Need Putting Help 10 GIRs and not a single Par

Note: This thread is 3530 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Like I said... lots of advice.. But you said that they were good one day and slow the next. You can't say your a bad putter because the conditions are so inconsistent. Everyone struggles a bit if they aren't the same all the time. That's why you get there early and get on the putting green. A GOOD course will try and maintain similar conditions between the greens and the practice green for JUST THIS PURPOSE. If the practice green is slow, then the greens will be similarly slow. If it's fast then look for that on the course. No two strokes are the same, either- trick is to find one that works for YOU and stick with it. Basics are fine, but what you do with them is up to you. But- as many others have done is just buy a new putter. That ALWAYS works.... for a while... until it doesn't, then get another new putter... OR just hit the irons closer.. a LOT closer. :-D

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Like I said... lots of advice.. But you said that they were good one day and slow the next. You can't say your a bad putter because the conditions are so inconsistent. Everyone struggles a bit if they aren't the same all the time. That's why you get there early and get on the putting green. A GOOD course will try and maintain similar conditions between the greens and the practice green for JUST THIS PURPOSE. If the practice green is slow, then the greens will be similarly slow. If it's fast then look for that on the course.

No two strokes are the same, either- trick is to find one that works for YOU and stick with it. Basics are fine, but what you do with them is up to you.

But- as many others have done is just buy a new putter. That ALWAYS works.... for a while... until it doesn't, then get another new putter... OR just hit the irons closer.. a LOT closer.

:beer:

In the :tmade: san clemente 14 way bag: :ping: G30 Stiff shaft driver 9deg upped to 10 :tmade: RocketBallz 4-sw Steel Stiff Shaft :callaway: 50 degree wedge :wilson_staff: 58 deg Wedge :cleve: Center shaft putter :titleist: Balls & :footjoy: BOA shoes

Yet another disappointing round yesterday.... iron and driver were excellent ... i shot 10 GIR's but not a single par... total score 102 which had ...... 58 PUTTS !!!!!!! help pls

This is phenomenal.  I don't even think I could do that with my eyes closed.  And considering that you mention you putt well on other days, is it possible that this is all mental?  A "yips" kind of thing?

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator

But you said that they were good one day and slow the next. You can't say your a bad putter because the conditions are so inconsistent.

No, I'm sorry, but 29 putts for nine holes, 58 for 18… on ANY planet that's an absolutely atrocious putter.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

This is phenomenal.  I don't even think I could do that with my eyes closed.  And considering that you mention you putt well on other days, is it possible that this is all mental?  A "yips" kind of thing?

I know it is with me, but 58 versus my worst of 48 (was typical of 42, now typical 37) seems like a lot. Well, I found a playing partner in him. :beer:

We'll get near the greens pretty quickly, and spend another 10 minutes on the green. :-$

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

I know what I am doing the next time I am out on the course for 18 holes, this could be fun!!!! :dance:

58 is really really really bad. That is averaging 3.22 putts per hole. I mean seriously. You'd think maybe one would luckily go in.

Go get a putting lesson. Something to fix this. Doesn't matter, find a way to hit putts in a more consistent manor and then develop some distance control.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

I know what I am doing the next time I am out on the course for 18 holes, this could be fun!!!!

58 is really really really bad. That is averaging 3.22 putts per hole. I mean seriously. You'd think maybe one would luckily go in.

Go get a putting lesson. Something to fix this. Doesn't matter, find a way to hit putts in a more consistent manor and then develop some distance control.

Don't even joke about it. I made a joke three months ago saying that now that my long game is improving my putting is sure to get worse. And it did. Lucky for me it was only a phase that I seem to be finally getting out.

It's hard especially if your round time consists of more time putting than anything else. Given the 10 GIR the OP got, it makes sense that he spent most of his time on the green. This could be extremely frustrating and lead to more bad putts and more yips.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Given the 10 GIR the OP got, .

That's the other baffling thing ... 10 GIR is really, really good.  I have 4 or 5 rounds in the last year that stand out to me (2, 3 or 4 over par) and in only one of them did I hit 10 greens.  The other 3 include 8, 8, and 9 GIR.

I can't fathom how somebody good enough to hit 10 GIR could average 3.22 putts per hole, no matter how little time is spent on the practice green.  (It's almost physically impossible to practice putting less often than I do)

I do understand how your putting stats will go down a little bit with more GIR, because you're going to usually be further from the hole.  But take a couple of one-putts and make them 3-putts and you should still have very little trouble staying south of 40.

Thanks all.

I will post the swing in the next couple of days. with the stroke on an artificial green do ?

Just make sure the camera is back far enough for us to see your whole body.  From the down the line view, make sure the camera is aimed in line with your toes or at least your hands.

Check out this article

http://thesandtrap.com/b/playing_tips/filming_your_swing

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

I know what I am doing the next time I am out on the course for 18 holes, this could be fun!!!!

Time to mosey on over to the "Spelling and Grammar" thread.

:whistle:

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

That's the other baffling thing ... 10 GIR is really, really good.  I have 4 or 5 rounds in the last year that stand out to me (2, 3 or 4 over par) and in only one of them did I hit 10 greens.  The other 3 include 8, 8, and 9 GIR.

I can't fathom how somebody good enough to hit 10 GIR could average 3.22 putts per hole, no matter how little time is spent on the practice green.  (It's almost physically impossible to practice putting less often than I do)

I do understand how your putting stats will go down a little bit with more GIR, because you're going to usually be further from the hole.  But take a couple of one-putts and make them 3-putts and you should still have very little trouble staying south of 40.

I have gotten one round with 9 GIR, but that was a freakishly good round. Still had something like 42 putts (I was pretty shaky from too much caffeine that day). As I recall, I did par most of the GIR ones, though. I recall getting somewhere in the high 80s or low 90s on that particular round.

So, it is possible to get a lot of GIR and still be a pretty bad putter. Maybe his definition of GIR is a little more loose and he counts stuff on the fringes?

I practice less putting that you do, and have magically gotten below 40 putts (hovers between 18 (9 holes) to 39 (18 holes)) just by playing more par 3 in the evenings these last two months.

So, 10 more putts than my worst day => more caffeine? Or something? Only the OP knows.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

So, how many 4 and 5 putts were had during this round?  That is an incredible number.

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

Time to mosey on over to the "Spelling and Grammar" thread.

Wouldn't that be "mossy down the Speling and Grammer thred."

Scott

My Swing Thread

Yep.

I'm not a great putter by any stretch, but if I hit 10 greens, I'm gonna be shooting 76 or better, or I'm going home to kick the cat!

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

I worked with the " push the short putt to the hole " drill.  Has really helped.  I was taught to get around in 29 putts or less.  I cannot do this yet.  I feel your pain.

Dropped a par 3, 160 yds, within 5 feet of the hole on Saturday.  I missed the birdie putt.

Driver very good.  Irons pretty good.  Putter is the killer.  Just keep practicing.  I'm gonna get one of those old fashioned putting thingamabobs that returns the ball back to you!

No, I'm sorry, but 29 putts for nine holes, 58 for 18… on ANY planet that's an absolutely atrocious putter.

I know... i mean only if this issue would get resolved, inconsistency is killing my scores. one day 15 putts over 9 holes and one day 29 ...

I know it is with me, but 58 versus my worst of 48 (was typical of 42, now typical 37) seems like a lot. Well, I found a playing partner in him.

We'll get near the greens pretty quickly, and spend another 10 minutes on the green.

hahaha ... i know what you mean ... i finished a  round of 18 in a abt 3 hrs 15-3 hrs 30 and i spent most of the time on the green

it was a distance and line issue, the greens on this course have never been this slow. it was 115 when i started playing and went down to 10o during the rounds , one would assume wih that kind of heat greens would be hard and fast but noooooooooo they were watered heavily abt 2 hrs before i started playing. every approach shot with a 7 iron and below was checking and sticking on the green

Just make sure the camera is back far enough for us to see your whole body.  From the down the line view, make sure the camera is aimed in line with your toes or at least your hands.

Check out this article

http://thesandtrap.com/b/playing_tips/filming_your_swing

will do this later today .... ty

I have gotten one round with 9 GIR, but that was a freakishly good round. Still had something like 42 putts (I was pretty shaky from too much caffeine that day). As I recall, I did par most of the GIR ones, though. I recall getting somewhere in the high 80s or low 90s on that particular round.

So, it is possible to get a lot of GIR and still be a pretty bad putter. Maybe his definition of GIR is a little more loose and he counts stuff on the fringes?

I practice less putting that you do, and have magically gotten below 40 putts (hovers between 18 (9 holes) to 39 (18 holes)) just by playing more par 3 in the evenings these last two months.

So, 10 more putts than my worst day => more caffeine? Or something? Only the OP knows.

GIR is on the green no fringe nothing .. 10 girs was freakishly high for me ... 7 on the back 9 and 3 on the front. hole 10 par 3 .. on in 1 ..... 4 putts ....hole 11 short par 4 driver , and a 58 deg wedge on ..4 putts . hole 12 avg par 5 .... driver 5 iron and sw on .... hole 14 short par 3... 8 iron on .... 3 putts .... hole 15 short par 4, driver ... 58 wedge ,,, on ....4 putts .... hole 16 avg par 5 driver ,,, fade into adjoining fairway, 3 wood ... sand wedge ... on .... 3 putts hole 18 avg par 4, driver , 9 iron on .... dont remember the putts , will post all details inc yardage of all holes and putta later today

So, how many 4 and 5 putts were had during this round?  That is an incredible number.

will ost all details inc yardage of all holes and putts later today

Thank you all for the advice,,,, i really appreciate it will post the swing hopefully today and i really hope this was a 1 off incident... else this putter is going bye bye ....

In the :tmade: san clemente 14 way bag: :ping: G30 Stiff shaft driver 9deg upped to 10 :tmade: RocketBallz 4-sw Steel Stiff Shaft :callaway: 50 degree wedge :wilson_staff: 58 deg Wedge :cleve: Center shaft putter :titleist: Balls & :footjoy: BOA shoes

okay slight mis info .. it was 9 GIR's and 55 putts.. totalling error.. here are the stats

115F in New Delhi?  I would melt!  It had to be humid too, right?

Scott

My Swing Thread

Note: This thread is 3530 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!