IGNORED

Analyzing Peoples Swings

Hammer 4
Note: This thread is 3618 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

So, since joining the TST, and looking at all the member swings, and great instruction vid's, I have been trying to analyze other peoples swings at the range, sounds goofy I know, but I try to pick out small things that may cause a certain ball flight, or a bad mishit. I also watch their set up, looking for something wrong, or to see how good ball strikers set for their iron's, woods and driver.

I don't try and copy them, as I have enough to work on w/o fussing over something that may or may not help me.

Anyone else do this.? And please don't tell me I'm Weird... :-P

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
I do it too!!! ;-)

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Ditto!!!!

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

I do it too!!!

Well we would Expect that from you.... :-D Now if I just had the same skill set.. :loco:

If somebody can really hit the ball well I watch their swings to try to figure the reasons why, and what it has in common with other people that can hit the ball well, especially when it comes to power.

If somebody can't hit the ball very well I don't watch. Nothing against them but it just doesn't interest me.

My typical drive home from work leads me right past my home course. I often stop and observe the 18th approach for a few minutes (easily visible from the parking lot). I also visit the practice range about 3 times a week.

On the range there are examples of both very good and quite poor swings. I try to note the better swings and what makes them so. Also, the faults that produce the poorer swings.

In both cases, the better swings exhibit a practiced and consistent preshot routine, confidence, great tempo and weight shift. Typically the poorer swings show indecision and weight hanging on the back foot.

On the 18th approach the better swings are at least on the green from 150 to 170 out, while the others require 2 shots (or more) to get there.

Gives me something to work on. :doh:

Craig

:wilsonstaff: - FG Tour F5
:wilsonstaff: - Fybrid 3W 15*, FY 19.5*, 4H 24*
:wilsonstaff: - FG 51 Tour Blade 4-9
:wilson: - Harmonized 50, 55, 60
Old Master - TZ Putter

Yep but via YT and swings of redditors and students of teachers I follow.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

I definitely do it! I always feel bad though for those people with really awful swings just bashing balls at the range and hoping to get better. They have yet to step out of the shadows and read the "stupid monkey" thread on here and to take a lesson to set them going on working on a priority piece.

Henry

I primarily notice rhythm and tempo and the sound of the ball off the clubface of others. I can usually tell a bad shot from the sound and it's usually confirmed by the sound of the club slamming into the ground after or choice words.

- Shane

Guilty here as well.  But lately I have been more concerned with my game than others, and its showing.  When the High School team is practicing, if I see someone with something that is very obvious, I might help them a little or let the coach know what I am seeing.

Driver: :tmade: R11S (9 degree)
Woods: :tmade: R11 3 (15.5 degree) & 5 (19 degree)
Irons: :tmade: R11 4-AW
Wedges: :tmade: ATV 54 & 60 degree
Putter: :scotty_cameron: 2012 Newport 2
Ball: :titleist: ProV1
Rangefinder: :bushnell: Tour V2

I don't usually notice. The only time I look at someone is if they are loud because it gets my attention. Typically the guy saying "did you see how far I hit that one!" has a horrific swing, obviously trying to swing fast, looks jerky etc. Though most of the time the range is empty when I am there.

Dave :-)

Anyone else do this.? And please don't tell me I'm Weird...

I almost find it weird if people don't do it.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

If somebody can really hit the ball well I watch their swings to try to figure the reasons why, and what it has in common with other people that can hit the ball well, especially when it comes to power.

If somebody can't hit the ball very well I don't watch. Nothing against them but it just doesn't interest me.

Bingo! Why watch a terrible swing? A sweet, smooth, fluid swing such as Louis Oosthuizen's is an art.

Dylan

Twitter: @d_brock504

I almost find it weird if people don't do it.

Agreed! Even when i didn't have a clue about mechanics or where to start improving a swing i would still check out people's swings purely seeing if they looked 'pretty' or not. Much in the same way you look at girls you walk past in the street :-P

Henry

• Administrator

Bingo! Why watch a terrible swing?

Because you can often learn more, and ask better questions of yourself, by asking what they would do.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Next time just for fun go to each one of them when you first get there and give them pointers and then go hit an entire bucket with the worst swing you can possibly do. Money well spent. Bonus if you can catch the whole thing on camera.

James

Swings are like snowflakes. You can't but look and hope and see you see something you've never seen before. It's amazing the variations there are. I wonder if pros who have seen thousands of swings occasionally still see something that sparks a "holy hell, that's new."

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Not really, I don't usually like to peek at the guy in the stall next to me.

In My Bag:

Adams Super LS 9.5˚ driver, Aldila Phenom NL 65TX
Adams Super LS 15˚ fairway, Kusala black 72x
Adams Super LS 18˚ fairway, Aldila Rip'd NV 75TX
Adams Idea pro VST hybrid, 21˚, RIP Alpha 105x
Adams DHY 24˚, RIP Alpha 89x
5-PW Maltby TE irons, KBS C taper X, soft stepped once 130g
Mizuno T4, 54.9 KBS Wedge X
Mizuno R12 60.5, black nickel, KBS Wedge X
Odyssey Metal X #1 putter 
Bridgestone E5, Adidas samba bag, True Linkswear Stealth

Note: This thread is 3618 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!