IGNORED

Anybody have any drills or pointers on loading up on the back swing/also delofting irons?

Note: This thread is 3639 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

So a 2 part question with a little explanation. I play the front tees right now because my group doesn't hit very long but I really want to start moving back. I hit my driver somewhere between 250-270 with roll out most days 3 wood 215ish, 5 wood not really sure because I never hit it but I am thinking I hit it further than my 3 wood now that I started using it. My irons distances are SW-70, AW-95, PW-115, 9-125, 8-140, 7-150, 6-160, 5, 170, 4-180. These are not carry yards but what I play my clubs at.

So my distances are okay but I come on here and I see people who are using like 2 clubs less than me on every shot and it makes me think I have a lot of room to improve. I feel if I can get 10 more yards on those numbers I can easily move back. So I figure loading up will do this as I have been told several times I don't really load up on my back leg so does anybody have any drills they use to load up on the back glute?

Also I launch the ball really, really high. Example is I hit my driver, R11s, at the lowest loft(7.5 I believe) and still hit it much higher than anybody in my group. My irons go really high as well. So I assume delofting my irons will bring the ball flight down and make me hit them farther. Is that correct? And if so how do I deloft the club and is there any drills I can do?

Thanks for any help and suggestions.

James

I would recommend posting a video of your swing.  There may be a simple fix to get the optimum trajectory.  What is unusual is your iron distance are similar to mine. My wedges are slightly farther, but your woods are a lot longer than mine.  You can lower flight with ball position, but it may just be not having enough shaft lean at impact (Key 3 in the 5 Simple Keys).

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Besides taking a look at those two videos, post a video of your swing here, http://thesandtrap.com/f/4180/member-swings

Here are instructions on how to video tape your swing, http://thesandtrap.com/t/38240/my-swing-video-threads-rules-please-read

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Thanks guys. I knew I would get a post a my swing video and I have been thinking about it for a little while. Right now all I have is an Iphone 5 and a cheap digital camera and both the frame rates won't pick up my swing very well. Every video I have ever taken skips right through impact position. I have been checking out the camera that is on the post from the "my swing" sub section but I just haven't pulled the trigger. I checked out those videos. I am pretty sure I keep my left wrist flat but I will definitely check out that 2 ball drill to make sure. Also I am pretty sure I shift my weight forward but I wonder if I could do the same type of drill on the back foot with a squishy ball. If I did would I put it in the middle of my right foot or the heel? So basically where would I want my weight distributed on my back foot while loading up? [quote name="boogielicious" url="/t/74244/anybody-have-any-drills-or-pointers-on-loading-up-on-the-back-swing-also-delofting-irons#post_984320"]I would recommend posting a video of your swing.  There may be a simple fix to get the optimum trajectory.  What is unusual is your iron distance are similar to mine. My wedges are slightly farther, but your woods are a lot longer than mine.  You can lower flight with ball position, but it may just be not having enough shaft lean at impact (Key 3 in the 5 Simple Keys). [/quote][quote name="boogielicious" url="/t/74244/anybody-have-any-drills-or-pointers-on-loading-up-on-the-back-swing-also-delofting-irons#post_984320"]I would recommend posting a video of your swing.  There may be a simple fix to get the optimum trajectory.  What is unusual is your iron distance are similar to mine. My wedges are slightly farther, but your woods are a lot longer than mine.  You can lower flight with ball position, but it may just be not having enough shaft lean at impact (Key 3 in the 5 Simple Keys). [/quote] These are just estimates, not from tracking or anything but I play and practice about 4 or 5 times a week so pretty close I think. I am not sure how far "a lot longer" is but I do play a strong draw on my driver and woods and my irons are straight so that's possibly a difference but not sure of your shot shape. And my SW/AW are low because I struggle to hit them. I just figured out I was standing too close almost in a pitching motion and not full swinging so I think those distances will start to improve.

James

Note: This thread is 3639 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!