IGNORED

Cutting Shafts

Note: This thread is 3630 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I just recently bought an SLDR 3 wood. And I am looking to cut the shaft a couple inches. (I'm short) It is a 77 gram regular flex shaft that is 43.25 inches. I would like to cut it to about 41.25 inches. How will this effect the weight of the shaft from 77 grams and what would it do to he stiffness of the shaft? Thanks!

I have to say 2" seems a lot and will change the feel of the club, probably won't change the stiffness a great deal, but the swing weight will drop dramatically, how short are you?? I'm 5'8" and my 3w was made at 43" I struggled with it from the fairway so I recently took just over half inch off, it didn't stiffen much at all but I could feel the swing weight reduction, which actually doesn't bother me either, I'm now hitting better of the fairway as it's just that bit more manageable! I would suggest you only take an inch off first, at the most and then try it for a while before you take anymore off!

Gaz Lee

Two inches is a lot of shaft to cut.

In most cases, cutting 1/2" off a shaft will lower the swingweight by 3 points. So, trimming 2 inches would lower the swingweight by 12 points.

The Speeder 3W has a swingweight of D4... the 2-inch trim would lower the swingweight to C2.

I hate to say it, but you would have been better to have this work done before you bought the club. I would talk to a clubsmith, or maybe call TM, to see the best way to handle this.

AS for shaft weight, the stock shaft is the Fuji Speeder 77 which, to confuse us, does not weigh 77 grams. (77 is just a cool-sounding label). Weight ranges from 68 grams in Regular flex to 72 grams in X-flex.

Note: The shaft was butt-trimmed to length at the factory, so you lost a little weight there; the raw shaft starts at 46".... cutting 2 more inches off would probably lower the shaft static weight by about 5 grams.

For more details, see the SLDR node at TM:

http://taylormadegolf.com/TaylorMade/SLDR-Fairway/DW-SQ073.html

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Two inches is a lot of shaft to cut. In most cases, cutting 1/2" off a shaft will lower the swingweight by 3 points. So, trimming 2 inches would lower the swingweight by 12 points. The Speeder 3W has a swingweight of D4... the 2-inch trim would lower the swingweight to C2. I hate to say it, but you would have been better to have this work done before you bought the club. I would talk to a clubsmith, or maybe call TM, to see the best way to handle this. AS for shaft weight, the stock shaft is the Fuji Speeder 77 which, to confuse us, does not weigh 77 grams. (77 is just a cool-sounding label). Weight ranges from 68 grams in Regular flex to 72 grams in X-flex. Note: The shaft was butt-trimmed to length at the factory, so you lost a little weight there; the raw shaft starts at 46".... cutting 2 more inches off would probably lower the shaft static weight by about 5 grams. For more details, see the SLDR node at TM: [URL=http://taylormadegolf.com/TaylorMade/SLDR-Fairway/DW-SQ073.html]http://taylormadegolf.com/TaylorMade/SLDR-Fairway/DW-SQ073.html[/URL]

Thank you very much. Appreciate the help.

• 2 weeks later...
Note: This thread is 3630 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!