IGNORED

Tour lock back weighting

Note: This thread is 3629 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

So EJ what made you decide to put the weight in the grip? I never even heard of putting weight in the grip.  I was wondering what its supposed to do. Also how did you decide on which weight to use?

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

So EJ what made you decide to put the weight in the grip? I never even heard of putting weight in the grip.  I was wondering what its supposed to do. Also how did you decide on which weight to use?

When I was in Erie we played around a bit with the Edel fitting cart. I couldn't afford a putter, but was able to establish my ideal specs. As luck would have it, my putter head weight was right in the perfect zone for me but my distance control was greatly improved with a counter weight which was 40g. A little research on the web and $10 later, I was all set. The extra weight just gives me a better feel for distance. Hard to describe, it just becomes very intuitive once you have a putter that is properly balanced to your individual senses.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

When I was in Erie we played around a bit with the Edel fitting cart. I couldn't afford a putter, but was able to establish my ideal specs. As luck would have it, my putter head weight was right in the perfect zone for me but my distance control was greatly improved with a counter weight which was 40g. A little research on the web and $10 later, I was all set.

The extra weight just gives me a better feel for distance. Hard to describe, it just becomes very intuitive once you have a putter that is properly balanced to your individual senses.

Did you get the internal weight or just the one you put in the end of the grip?

Did you get the internal weight or just the one you put in the end of the grip?

Goes in the end of the grip. Looks like a bullet. No idea if it would work for you at 40g but they're relatively cheap so if you can aim your existing putter well, it might be worth playing around with a starter kit to see if it helps.

Yours in earnest, Jason.

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Goes in the end of the grip. Looks like a bullet. No idea if it would work for you at 40g but they're relatively cheap so if you can aim your existing putter well, it might be worth playing around with a starter kit to see if it helps.

Yeah Im decent 20 ft and in but I struggle with distance control on longer putts.  I love the idea of the weight I was just wondering if there is a rule of thumb on how much weight to put in.  My putter head is 343 which is real close to yours so I figured you decided on the 40g for a reason.

Hard to describe, it just becomes very intuitive once you have a putter that is properly balanced to your individual senses.

It's probably kind of annoying for some to read this, but, yeah, that's pretty accurate.  I would also add that Erik's 'putter decel' thread helped me understand also.

It's probably kind of annoying for some to read this, but, yeah, that's pretty accurate.  I would also add that Erik's [URL=http://thesandtrap.com/t/74295/putting-do-not-accelerate-through-the-ball/0_30]'putter decel'[/URL] thread helped me understand also.

Yeah, it's like rolling the ball by hand. The putter ceases to be an "external" and starts to become almost "internal" if that makes sense.

Yours in earnest, Jason.

Yeah, it's like rolling the ball by hand. The putter ceases to be an "external" and starts to become almost "internal" if that makes sense.

For me I put it more as the ball is in the way of the stroke, rather than trying to hit and guide the ball to the hole. Basically its more natural feeling than a forced motion.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

So was it trial and error how you guys decided o how weight to put in the grip end?

So was it trial and error how you guys decided o how weight to put in the grip end?

Well, Matt and Drew got fitted for Edels so that was part of the process. I got lucky and happened to be there when Matt got fitted and Erik took an educated guess and handed me a putter set up with the weighting that he suspected would work for me. Then he had me hit 3 putts to a piece of string and they all stopped within an inch of the string, and that is NOT hyperbole! He then removed the 40g weight and had me do it again and the dispersion was about 18-24 inches!! And these 6 putts were taken within about a 2 minute span, so it was fairly obvious that he had found my recipe right away.

Yours in earnest, Jason.

Cool thanks. Im probably going to get the kit. If you don't mind me asking how long was the putt.

Well, Matt and Drew got fitted for Edels so that was part of the process. I got lucky and happened to be there when Matt got fitted and Erik took an educated guess and handed me a putter set up with the weighting that he suspected would work for me. Then he had me hit 3 putts to a piece of string and they all stopped within an inch of the string, and that is NOT hyperbole! He then removed the 40g weight and had me do it again and the dispersion was about 18-24 inches!! And these 6 putts were taken within about a 2 minute span, so it was fairly obvious that he had found my recipe right away.

Yea I got lucky that my old putter was nearly perfect for me when i aim. The problem was it was about 30 grams too light in the head, and I needed 40 grams in the butt end. So no putter out there now would have fitted that profile. I had no distance control at all.

Really the change is distance control is freakish. Its just crazy how all of a sudden you can stop putt, repeatably 15 feet away from you. I've hit putts 25 feet away that the ball just kept stopping near the same spot.

It's also instant sale really. If you tell a guy, you are going to get a putter that you will aim right every time, and be able to hit balls with distance control of something like +/- a few inches. I am like, SOLD!!!!

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Note: This thread is 3629 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!