• Announcements

• Welcome to the New Site!   09/30/2015

Welcome to the brand new TST! Click the title of this announcement to read more about what's new and different here at The Sand Trap!       We're using some new software to power this forum, and while this means some change, it's for the better. However, there will be a few bumps, and one of those may be that you may have a little trouble logging in to your account. So try this: Log in with your existing username and password.If that fails, reset your password here: http://thesandtrap.com/lostpassword/ .If that fails, PM either @mvmac or @iacas and we'll help you out.After that, check out this thread to share any bugs you find along with your likes/dislikes, and check out this thread to see what awesome new features you can use on this site. Finally, once you're on the site, do a few things if you don't mind: Check your account settings. This is where you can clean up your signature.Edit your profile (to possibly include your GAME Golf account). Do this by clicking "Edit Profile" on your name in the top right corner of the site.Add or replace the cover photo on your profile. They're now Facebook-like dimensions. Change your avatar if it looks distorted, too.
    • Failed Logins   10/06/2015

If you attempt to log in and can not, please email (just one of) erik@thesandtrap.com or mike@thesandtrap.com to have your account password re-set. Thank you.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Playing again and did I buy the right new driver

3 posts in this topic

The last two years saw me playing a lot less than the few years before, but thats changing this year!  I've played a few rounds already and also joined a Thursday night league.  My goal for the season is to play at least 6 times a month with 4 or more range sessions.  Since I'm going to be playing much more often I decided to buy a new driver (I'm a club ho at heart), but first a bit about me…

I'm currently hitting a 10.5° Ping G10 with the stock stiff shaft. My ball flight is a fade that, way too often, turns into a slice. My average distance so far this year has gone down from the years prior and I'm only getting a smidge over 200 yards.

So I hit the PGA Superstore near me and went through a fitting…

Club Head Speed: 95 MPH

Launch Angle: 10(ish)°

Spin Rate: 3879

Flight: Dead Straight/Baby Fade

I only ended up trying the following drivers based on the recommendation of the fitter guy: TaylorMade SLDR, TaylorMade JetSpeed, Callaway X2 Hot.  The X2 wasn't for me and it was immediately apparent so let's remove that and here was the TM results:

• SLDR - I carried this longer than the JetSpeed, but pulled almost every shot left & spin was significantly more than the JetSpeed
  • JetSpeed - Carry was shorter, but including rollout the shot was longer.  Pattern was tighter and down the middle and spin was significantly less

So walking out of the store here is what I ended up with and the average stats

TaylorMade 10.5° JetSpeed w/ Stock Stiff Shaft

Club Head Speed: 95 MPH

Ball Speed: 134 MPH

Launch Angle: 11.9°

Spin Rate: 2111

Total Distance: 230-240 average

So I was super happy with the outcome (greater distance, tight dispersion, down the middle, and I got a free fairway wood), but I have a few nagging questions

• Why was every shot going down the middle (except for like 1 shot every 10)?  Thats not my usual ball flight so was it a 'good day' or is there some trickery/faulty sensor stuff going on?
  • Should I have tried some other drivers (any recommendations)?
  • Based on my swing profile should we have explored some other shafts (any recommendations)? (We didn't try anything other then the standard regular flex and stiff shafts)
  • We didn't really play with the weights, shaft, or anything on the SLDR -- Did we count it out to early?

Sorry for the novel everyone.  I'm just super excited to be golfing again and wanted to give as much info as possible.

Want to get rid of this advertisement? Sign up (or log in) today! It's free!

Yeah a lot of in store launch monitors are very forgiving and give you a bit of a distance boost. I played on a simulator and the software actually had a "boost" feature which affected the distance readouts. It had a scale of -10 to +10 (which I assume is a percentage of total distance, but could very well be an arbitrary scale). Standard setting was a +7 but I actually had to go down to -4 or 5 to getting my yardages reasonably normal. I hit more than one shot that read zero sidespin so I knew I gives a little directional help as well.

The Jetspeed is a good choice. You can mess around with different shafts, but I doubt you would notice too much difference. A single digit handicapper might have a consistent swing that would benefit from more optimization, but don't second guess yourself on this purchase. Besides , this will probably not be the last driver you will ever buy.