IGNORED

Orange Whip Putting Wand legal club?

JerseyThursday
Note: This thread is 2409 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator
Rulesman said:

Certainly a convex face is allowed but I can't see what would make it non-conforming.

It's not particularly rigid. It's made of rubber.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Fourputt said:

Honestly?  I don't worry much about the details.  The shaft looks a bit odd with what looks like some sort of length adjustment near the putter head.  I also don't like the convex faces, although I don't know if they are disallowed.  I know that concave faces are not allowed.  There are so many odd looking putters that I wouldn't go on appearance alone.  The fact that every source I could find said that this one was nonconforming was enough for me.

I don't carry training equipment with me on the course, so I just don't worry about the details of club design.  I buy and use clubs which are certified as conforming, and what few training aids I use are never kept in my bag.  The only training club I ever owned was a heavy 8 iron, which would have been conforming if it had a standard grip.  It did not, so it was kept either in the garage or in the trunk of my car, but was never put in my bag.

That is for sure!!

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

• Administrator

I can't find anything about rigidity being a factor.

Look above. "The face of the club must be hard and rigid …"

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

iacas said:

Look above. "The face of the club must be hard and rigid …"

You mean the head is rubber? I didn't see that in the adverts etc.

• Administrator

You mean the head is rubber? I didn't see that in the adverts etc.

Yes. It's rubber.

Thanks

Isn't it amazing what they will come up with to replace good old fashioned technique and practice?  Learn what is right, then practice that to hone it with the putter you plan to use on the course.  Seems to me that practicing by hitting balls with a rubber putter would totally screw up your pace control.  And with the convex face, you don't know if the miss is from poor alignment or poor contact.  It's questions like these which I use to justify not spending my money on so-called "training aids".

I've got the best putting training aids available in my bag already - Putter and golf ball, then add my brain to them and mix thoroughly. :smartass:

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

I've got the best putting training aids available in my bag already - Putter and golf ball, then add my brain to them and mix thoroughly.

I've always been doubtful about one of those ingredients. :no:

• 1 year later...

The reason the Putting Wand is illegal has nothing to do with the Convex face, that is perfectly legal.  The illegal aspect is the round counterbalance on the top of grip, this creates an irregular shaped grip, therefore non-conforming.  I've sent it to the USGA and got the OK, except for the grip shape issue.

• Upvote 1

I have a putting wand, and use it often during my practice sessions. It has definitely improved my putting. Love it.

I figured it was illegal to use, and now I know why. Thanks.

The Putter head is actually made of Aluminum and powder coated Orange.   This makes it look like a plastic or rubber material.  Because of the design (convex face), if a golfer connects in the center of face, the putter feels more solid than any flat face putter available.

The biggest drawback we have heard from customers regarding the Putting Wand is the look, some people cannot get past that.  But, those who have and use it regularly, swear by the benefits to their putting tempo and improved center contact while using their own putter.

JimOrangeWhip said:

The reason the Putting Wand is illegal has nothing to do with the Convex face, that is perfectly legal.  The illegal aspect is the round counterbalance on the top of grip, this creates an irregular shaped grip, therefore non-conforming.  I've sent it to the USGA and got the OK, except for the grip shape issue.

So in other words if the counterweight were changed to one matching the taper of the grip it would be perfectly legal.

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

Yes, that is correct regarding the counterweight and grip and how it could be made legal.  The reason we haven't changed it is because it is a Training putter, and the components for counterweight, grip and shaft are same with our Orange Whip swing trainer.

Rulesman said:

I've always been doubtful about one of those ingredients.

I once had this conversation with a fellow senior.

"How can an intelligent man  see that he is consistently putting short, know that he needs to hit the ball more firmly and yet when it comes to the bit, hold back and yet again putt short?" I asked.

"Let's examine this word intelligent ," he replied.

Same ingredient you were thinking of? :-D

• 2 years later...

I may get some angry comments from golf purists/traditionalists, but I have a question about the idea of non conforming golf clubs in general. If I play with a non conforming putter on my home course, by myself, and never during competitions of any sort, including a friendly skins game, why would anyone care if my privately used putter is non conforming? To continue the question, does the USGA really care if I use my theoretical non conforming club during my private, solo rounds?

• Administrator

@Paul1957 I don't think anyone really cares.

Note: This thread is 2409 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!