IGNORED

Terrible golfer, but would like to work in the industry. Any ideas?

Hazardous Lie
Note: This thread is 3612 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Call it a mid-life crisis if you wish, but I'm looking for a career change and would LOVE to be in the golf industry.  The downside is I'm a hacker, and have no formal experience in it.  I'm a project manager in the oil and gas industry for the past 2 years, and an officer / helicopter pilot in AF for 12 years before that.  What do you think?  Am I just day dreaming?! :sleep:

I suspect that if you are prepared to put 10,000 hours in to it then anything is possible ;) I dunno, I guess it just depends on what you want to do? You could always pop down to your local golf club and see if you can volunteer with the green keeping team and work up from there? Mailman

Mailman

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I want to work in the golf industry too. My dream is to be the beverage cart girl at Crandon.

• Upvote 1

In the bag:
Lady Tiger Shark 5 Hybrid
Lady Tiger Shark 9 Iron
Adams a70S Hybrid Gap Wedge
Adams Lady Fairway 1007 Putter

Call it a mid-life crisis if you wish, but I'm looking for a career change and would LOVE to be in the golf industry.  The downside is I'm a hacker, and have no formal experience in it.  I'm a project manager in the oil and gas industry for the past 2 years, and an officer / helicopter pilot in AF for 12 years before that.  What do you think?  Am I just day dreaming?! :sleep:

It depends on what you mean by "work in the industry". You can easily get a retail sales or management position at just about any of the large golf retailers if you don't mind the cruddy hours and relatively low pay. There's a saying though.....if you really enjoy plaing golf, don't work in the industry, you'll never have time to actually play?

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

As Dave pointed out, True above, if you are looking to become involved in the industries from the manufacturing side, say sales and marketing. Its probably too late in your career. unless you are extremely well connected internally to XYZ company, you likely will have no chance. The few positions that could open up or be created are filled immediatly. The sales positions are often filled by independent reps, they're responsible for all of their expenses and commission only. Very few are company positions ( salary + a small commission) the latter of which more or less require history of golf sales and again being extremely well connected with golf courses, dealers, pros, some require a PGA certification. In other instances these positions are territorial, meaning there is a possibility you'll have to move. Which makes the position even more challenging and less likely. Ok how about marketing, or management well first you'll need some sort of marketing/ business degree and willing to become an intern with little to no pay for several years, then you might be offered something more permanent . Lastly the golf industry as in manufacturing is not growing, in fact its contracting. The latest sales figures for Adidas/Taylormade for 1st qtr is showed a significant loss compared to 2014 sales. The trouble is there has been no major manufacturer that has gobbled any of those dollars up. most are showing simular disappointing sales. Some are hemoraging more than others but are covered by larger conglomerates that can absorb losses & cover operational costs. Good luck what ever you end up doing or deciding.
  • Upvote 1

You could become a certified club maker and/or fitter. Then you could start building a practice by contacting teaching pros at your local munis and driving ranges. Your services gives the pro more opportunities to help clients, promote himself, and make more money. I know several semi retired people doing this and they are adding $40000.00 plus to their annual income. They started out locally and eventually net worked into semi private clubs. The hard part for them was getting their foot in the door at local places of golf but perseverance and a little salesmen ship eventually paid off.

Only you know your finances, but working at a driving range, especially nights and weekends, might be a realtively easy job to find if you can withstand the low pay.  Many ranges have a pro, plus you will get to see some good golfers pass through, and when its slow work on your game.  Then take it from there to working for a good golf club and see where you wind up.

I am a few years away from retirement and am considering some PT work at whatever courses I wind up near.

I want to work in the golf industry too. My dream is to be the beverage cart girl at Crandon.

Based upon your avatar, I'm sure you'll do quite well!

Call it a mid-life crisis if you wish, but I'm looking for a career change and would LOVE to be in the golf industry.  The downside is I'm a hacker, and have no formal experience in it.  I'm a project manager in the oil and gas industry for the past 2 years, and an officer / helicopter pilot in AF for 12 years before that.  What do you think?  Am I just day dreaming?!

Seems like a nice dream, but your current career sounds more promising.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

unfortunately i'm one of those workaholics who can't pull themselves away from work before the sun goes down.  I would cut golf course lawns for a living if the money was there.  It'd be so peaceful i think.

Da

It depends on what you mean by "work in the industry".

You can easily get a retail sales or management position at just about any of the large golf retailers if you don't mind the cruddy hours and relatively low pay.

There's a saying though.....if you really enjoy plaing golf, don't work in the industry, you'll never have time to actually play?

I was thinking running a driving range or exec course.  Maybe on lease land?

Note: This thread is 3612 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!