IGNORED

Best Sunglasses for vision enhancement on the course

digitalnomad
Note: This thread is 3243 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I have prescription Oakley sunglasses.  Reason,  I like them is you can change the lenses.  Not cheap at all that they are all prescription but you have to do what you have to do.  I have clear, yellow and the darkest they make.  All for depending on how the sun is that day.  I love them. I actually I wear them all the time as my normal glasses with the clear or the yellow I love them that much.

• 8 months later...

Agree 100%.

I wear contacts too, and my eyes are extremely sensitive to glare.  I was never able to wear sunglasses on the course though because I was distracted by light bleeding through from the sides.  At the recommendation of a buddy, I tried the Oakley Flak Jackets in the G30 lens, and haven't looked back.  The lens is dark enough for bright, sunny days, and light enough that I wear them on cloudy days too for the contrast they provide.  They also stay where they are.  Even on hot, sweaty days, no slippage.

HIGHLY recommended!

I spent a few years agonizing over spending so much money on sunglasses specifically for golf (I'm a tightwad).  I finally pulled the trigger and couldn't be more pleased.  The G30 iridium lenses may not be the most masculine in color, but they are very effective.  They do make the world appear boring/monochrome blue-grey when you take them off which is slightly concerning...

Randal

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

My personal preference is to the maui jim ka'anapali they are an extremely light weight wire frame. The only problem I have found with these glasses is that they are so light that I have lost two pair to the Pacific because I forgot I was wearing them... Great durability, polarized lenses, weightless

I have Maui Jim Banyans.  Fantastic but friggin expensive they are!!

I have Oakley Half Jacket with G30 lenses. After using every brand with every lens combination imaginable, I love these! Prior, I relied on a pair of Costas with green lenses. They were great also. But a bit on the heavy side. I got an email from Oakley last Thursday and they have the new Pizm lenses in a golf variety and can get the replacements for my Half Jackets for $80. From the pictures I've seen they have a better effect than the G30, so I will be ordering a set of lenses in TVs next couple weeks. I will update at that time.

I can't wear contacts anymore. That leaves Oakleys or any of the sporty golf ones out. So I wear Ray-Bans - Titanium Aviators just because Aviators are bad ass. Non-polarized, because polarized hurts at reading the grain of the greens. Single vision because progressive lenses really distort putting lines. I need them because I don't know if the RoG would allow for sonar - that would give me all the undulations of the green and determine the exact location of the hole. I'm blind as a bat without glasses.

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

• 3 months later...

Just came across this, thought it was helpful

http://birdieable.com/best-sunglasses-for-golf/

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

I might have to look into getting the G30 lenses for my Oakley's. I hope they make them for  my model.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

• Administrator

I might have to look into getting the G30 lenses for my Oakley's. I hope they make them for  my model.

I have the ones before that (or maybe they're the G30, but they're not the Prizm ones). My kid has those, though, and they look good…

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I rarely ever wear sunglasses, but only because I'm very bad about losing and damaging them. That being the case, paying these amounts for sunglasses will probably not happen for me. Besides all that, I absolutely hate the reverse racoon look wearing sunglasses all the time give me. I did construction for a few years which required me to wear safety glasses all the time and it drove me nuts to see that goofy tan line. I've even stopped wearing ball caps a majority of the time for the same reason.

• Upvote 1

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

I have Maui Jim's that I like a lot ... never wore sunglass until last year when the eye doc said I had "light eyes" and if I did not wear sunglass then my cataracts would develop at a faster rate The Maui Jim's are the only ones I found I can wear while golfing ... in fact, I hate playing without them now. (admittedly have not tried many of the ones mentioned here).

Ken Proud member of the iSuk Golf Association ... Sponsored by roofing companies across the US, Canada, and the UK

Oakleys are the only sunglasses I buy/wear, haven't owned any other brand in 20+ years.  They're expensive as hell, but they're great quality, very comfortable and have very good optics.  I haven't tried the G30 lenses yet though, going to have to give them a shot.

Mac

WITB:
Driver: Ping G30 (12*)
FW:  Ping K15 (3W, 5W)
Hybrids: Ping K15 (3H, 5H)
Irons: Ping K15 (6-UW)

Wedges: Cleveland 588 RTX CB (54*, 58*)

Putter: Ping Scottsdale w/ SS Slim 3.0

Ball: Bridgestone e6

I never liked wearing sunglasses golfing - felt it messed with my depth perception, but I have Prizms in my Holbrooks now, and have no issues wearing them golfing. Amazing lenses

:tmade: SLDR X-Stiff 12.5°
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Wood Stiff
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Hybrid Stiff
:nike:VR Pro Combo CB 4 - PW Stiff 2° Flat
:cleveland:588RTX CB 50.10 GW
:cleveland:588RTX CB 54.10 SW
:nike:VR V-Rev 60.8 LW
:nike:Method 002 Putter

I played golf the entire decade of the 1990s wearing Ray Ban Aviators..........LOL  This was the era before sunglasses evolved.

I had 2 pair...

Pair 1:     Black frames and lenses.........my favorites!   With wrap around the ear arms..............they had a plastic cover over the wrap around the ear portion of the frame for comfort. I could be sweating my AZZZZ off and they'd never slip from my nose and they were always comfortable!!!!!!!!!!!!!   I owned these for more than a decade....at some point, I lost them.   I apparently didn't love them too much, because they were replaced by something completely different!!!

Pair2: Gold frames....classic aviator lenses.......these had the same wrap around the ear arms, but with no plastic cover.  These were definitely less comfortable!!  When I lost my black pair,  I put the gold pair of Aviators away.  I'm pretty sure I still have them, but I don't know where!!  Surely, I never threw them away!

todays wrap-around lenses don't compare to the old stuff not properly designed for golf.   IE....Oakley and several others make quality wrap around lenses 1000 times better for this purpose.  If you see a golfer wearing Ray Ban Aviators on the golf course in this modern era...............they're clueless!!.......I might want to call them out as a non-golfer for wearing those sunglasses!!!

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

If your looking for a great inexpensive pair, try the Tifosi Veloce Interchangeable Sunglasses. I bought a pair from Rock bottom for $41.00 with free shipping. I use these more than my Oakley Radar Locks. And they were far less money.

My bag:

Taylor Made R7 (x-stiff).
Taylor Made Burner 2 irons (stiff)
Cleveland Wedges (gap and 60)
Odyssey two ball putter (white) 

Wear the sunglass safety glasses from work, yep I'm cheap but they wrap around nicely and I have about a dozen at home.

Rich C.

Driver Titleist 915 D3  9.5*
3 Wood TM RBZ stage 2 tour  14.5*
2 Hybrid Cobra baffler 17*
4Hybrid Adams 23*
Irons Adams CB2's 5-GW
Wedges 54* and 58* Titleist vokey
Putter Scotty Cameron square back 2014
Ball Srixon Zstar optic yellow
bushnell V2 slope edition

I used to be an Oakley wearer but, with rapidly changing sun conditions, I found myself messing with the sunglasses too much.  I tried a pair of the Callaway Transitions and have found them to be the best sunglasses for golf, for me.

Mark in Colorado

Note: This thread is 3243 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!