IGNORED

Evolution of High Launch and Low Spin

Note: This thread is 2445 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

A high spinning ball will balloon more into the wind because the wind will increase the spin on the ball.

It really doesn't increase spin on the ball that, more that it increases the high and low pressure from the front to the back of the ball, which drives the ball upward. That is how a ball curves, because of a pressure difference. So basically hitting into the wind increased pressure on the front of the ball. So the ball wants to go higher if you have mostly spin around the horizontal axis.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Thanks for sharing @mvmac

How does this change driving into the wind?

Less spin I would guess means ball won't be pushed up as much by the wind but launch is higher so it's a wash?

Does teeing it low and swinging slower still apply?

I guess you missed my last post ;-)

When it's windy I don't change anything, I still try to launch it high, optimal is optimal, if the spin is low the wind won't effect it much.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

I have to agree, it's something I've been thinking about in my own game since I haven't had a consistent knockdown tee shot. Whenever I think I made a mistake hitting my ball high, it usually goes pretty far. I also usually get a straighter flight unless I hit it thin, so I think bombing it out there is the better option in all cases. Even in a crosswind, the ball tends to hold its line when I hit it high vs trying to fade or draw it to counter the wind.

In My Bag:

Adams Super LS 9.5˚ driver, Aldila Phenom NL 65TX
Adams Super LS 15˚ fairway, Kusala black 72x
Adams Super LS 18˚ fairway, Aldila Rip'd NV 75TX
Adams Idea pro VST hybrid, 21˚, RIP Alpha 105x
Adams DHY 24˚, RIP Alpha 89x
5-PW Maltby TE irons, KBS C taper X, soft stepped once 130g
Mizuno T4, 54.9 KBS Wedge X
Mizuno R12 60.5, black nickel, KBS Wedge X
Odyssey Metal X #1 putter 
Bridgestone E5, Adidas samba bag, True Linkswear Stealth

I have to agree, it's something I've been thinking about in my own game since I haven't had a consistent knockdown tee shot. Whenever I think I made a mistake hitting my ball high, it usually goes pretty far. I also usually get a straighter flight unless I hit it thin, so I think bombing it out there is the better option in all cases. Even in a crosswind, the ball tends to hold its line when I hit it high vs trying to fade or draw it to counter the wind.

Someone should do a detailed analysis. It would be interesting to know how much you need to compensate, even if only a little bit.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Same with me.  I have been working hard to get the flight up and I don't want to change it for any reason.  I am not good enough with the driver to have a different swing or position for different shots.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Same with me.  I have been working hard to get the flight up and I don't want to change it for any reason.  I am not good enough with the driver to have a different swing or position for different shots.

As with many more of us ;-)

BTW, even "IF" I get a good shaped shot, my swing is the same. I just set up differently for the shot. That's what I think I've been told to do anyway.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

• 3 weeks later...

Wow, really great information Mike. Thank you for sharing.

So the conclusion is we need to reduce the backspin. Is that the main thing we are suppose to do? And the recommendation is to increase the loft? That cannot be the only suggestion. What else should we do?

Sorry if I am being dense, but I want to know what the conclusion should be because it is hard for me to accept we should only change the loft.

Michael

Wow, really great information Mike. Thank you for sharing.

So the conclusion is we need to reduce the backspin. Is that the main thing we are suppose to do? And the recommendation is to increase the loft? That cannot be the only suggestion. What else should we do?

Sorry if I am being dense, but I want to know what the conclusion should be because it is hard for me to accept we should only change the loft.

Make sure your angle of attack is positive. That will decrease the spin loft.

From TaylorMade's perspective, they obviously don't get into swing mechanics, they position the CoG low and forward (reduces spin) and they add loft.

Mike McLoughlin

• 2 weeks later...

My question about the "high launch, low spin" motto for longer drives is that I wonder how it affects accuracy. I would assume that you would find less curvature of the ball with the same spin axis just because the ball is spinning less, but I want to know would the spin axis be more readily changed if the backspin is reduced? I would assume that drivers designed to lower spin would lower the "sidespin" as well as the backspin, but I just would like clarification on that.

As an interesting aside, I've used a 10.5* driver for years (Ping G10 with a ProLaunch Red in it) and have never found a benefit to the lower lofted drivers myself. Whenever I would hit them it would travel a shorter distance and have less accuracy. In addition to that I personally haven't found new drivers to be groundbreaking in either category for me, but I have only tested them with stock shafts (which performed worse than the ProLaunch Red for me in the same driver head before) so it wasn't exactly comparing apples to apples. I will say though that it's tempting to get the new shiny after having a small piece of paint flake off the center (laterally and longitudinally) of the driver's head.

Make sure your angle of attack is positive. That will decrease the spin loft.

From TaylorMade's perspective, they obviously don't get into swing mechanics, they position the CoG low and forward (reduces spin) and they add loft.

Correct, having attended the same presentation, Mine was conducted by Dr. Vincent Benoit CTO of TM. Fascinating stuff.

One element missing from the slides is unlike any other driver they have made the SLDR knocks 500-1000Rpms of spin off the vast majority of golfers, allowing them to loft up from 9 & 10degs  to 12 and 14s -However if you are currently hitting a 9-10.5 deg. Titleist** driver &  simply take and hit a 13 degree same model driver, that spin rate shoots way up in RPMs. You have increased LOFT you are hitting the ball higher, but you also engaged a lot more spin as price of that loft.- which can kill any distance you had in mind.

** just an example

This unique high launch, low spin scenario doesn't stop when the ball is air born, the decent angle is often more favorable, there can also be a high bounce at impact adding some extra yards

For over a decade I played with a 9-9.5, now I play 11.5 SLDR and have never hit a driver further.

My question about the "high launch, low spin" motto for longer drives is that I wonder how it affects accuracy. I would assume that you would find less curvature of the ball with the same spin axis just because the ball is spinning less, but I want to know would the spin axis be more readily changed if the backspin is reduced? I would assume that drivers designed to lower spin would lower the "sidespin" as well as the backspin, but I just would like clarification on that.

As an interesting aside, I've used a 10.5* driver for years (Ping G10 with a ProLaunch Red in it) and have never found a benefit to the lower lofted drivers myself. Whenever I would hit them it would travel a shorter distance and have less accuracy. In addition to that I personally haven't found new drivers to be groundbreaking in either category for me, but I have only tested them with stock shafts (which performed worse than the ProLaunch Red for me in the same driver head before) so it wasn't exactly comparing apples to apples. I will say though that it's tempting to get the new shiny after having a small piece of paint flake off the center (laterally and longitudinally) of the driver's head.

If your question is will you be able to move (draw/fade) the ball with these high lofted drivers the answer is yes. No real difference. They can fly straighter ( read: accurate) simply because of loft angages more back spin. ever try to slice or hook a 9 iron- its tough to do because of all the loft.

on a side note that prolaunch red shaft was awful IMO

If your question is will you be able to move (draw/fade) the ball with these high lofted drivers the answer is yes. No real difference. They can fly straighter ( read: accurate) simply because of loft angages more back spin. ever try to slice or hook a 9 iron- its tough to do because of all the loft.

on a side note that prolaunch red shaft was awful IMO

I'm talking about when I miss, it shouldn't be any bigger than my current miss, correct?

I do agree that there are better shafts out there, but that one was a free upgrade in the G10 and it was a whole lot better than what Ping had at the time. Their shaft they had labeled as a "stiff" played more like a senior flex since it flopped around like a wet noodle and it gave me a spin of upwards of 4500 rpm for me. I wish I could afford to get something a bit nicer, but not enough benefit for me to do so when you consider the cost put in (a couple lessons would be more beneficial to me).

I'm talking about when I miss, it shouldn't be any bigger than my current miss, correct?

Shouldn't curve more, if anything you might be a little straighter. Gear effect would be very similar on off center hits.

Mike McLoughlin

• Administrator

I'm going to say that it's possible, for the same reasons as shown in the geeky video I did about why drivers curve more than 8-irons. If you narrow the spin loft, any tilt is magnified.

It's one of the reasons why PGA Tour players may still average slightly down, despite the gains distance offers in strokes saving (plus, that they hit the ball far enough).

Still, though, I recommend this as an even bigger reason why it's important to develop a pattern. If your ball always cuts, it's much easier to plan for everything from straight to big cut than if your ball sometimes cuts and sometimes draws.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I do agree that there are better shafts out there, but that one was a free upgrade in the G10 and it was a whole lot better than what Ping had at the time. Their shaft they had labeled as a "stiff" played more like a senior flex since it flopped around like a wet noodle and it gave me a spin of upwards of 4500 rpm for me. I wish I could afford to get something a bit nicer, but not enough benefit for me to do so when you consider the cost put in (a couple lessons would be more beneficial to me).

Correct it should not be any worse, in fact it may be less. Sorry for the misunderstanding on my part to your question

• 4 weeks later...

Bubba's recent numbers. 15 degrees launch, 1900 spin...oh yeah and he hit up 5.7 degrees

Mike McLoughlin

Bubba's recent numbers. 15 degrees launch, 1900 spin...oh yeah and he hit up 5.7 degrees

That's nasty. I really have to start figuring out this low spin stuff for myself.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

This is an area where launch monitors prove very useful. It's not very easy to work on this at the range without seeing numbers.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Note: This thread is 2445 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!