IGNORED

Is Phil Mickelson fake?

supercow
Note: This thread is 3538 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

2 members have voted

1. 1. Is Phil Mickelson fake?

• Yes
    • No
    • Don't Know/Maybe

• Administrator
As for Appleby's issue with the Pro-Am, that is the Tour's fault, not Phil's... think it would have been any different for Tiger??

I don't think Tiger would have been towns away on Tuesday the week he was playing a tournament. That doesn't jive with the "If I play, I am going to try to win" mentality. Furthermore, I think Tiger would have driven to get there (i.e. had someone drive him).

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is the worst thread ever created...and I voted No.
Driver FT-3 9deg w/ Aldila NV 65-S
3wood Rescue 3 15deg
Irons R7 TP w/ Flighted Rifle 6.5
Wedges 48deg TA900, 53deg TA588, 58deg TA900
Putter 2 ball center shaftedBall NXT Tour

If Tiger called and said "bad weather can not make pro am,should I stay home or will you still let me play?"I will bet my check they tell him "be carefull and see you tommaro"

In my new FT carry bag
FT-9 Tour nuetral 9.5
FT-15 degree 3 wood
Fussion Hybrids #2&4
Fussion irons with Grapholoy Pro launch Red shafts56&60 Cally X forged wedges with Red shaftsSG9 putterCally I ballBushnell Meadealist range finder

Do you really think Phil is a nice guy out on the course and then goes home (behind closed doors) and is a mentally abusive pig to his wife, kids, family and a prick to all his reps? Its night and day, for that to happen he would pretty much be considered skitzophrenic.

Maybe people that say he's fake are just fake themselves.. the kind that would act nice to your face and talk sh*t behind your back. Personally I think the sports illustrated writers are retarded for putting Phil in the most hated article. His Cheshire Cat grin is what started this whole gong show, now its gone and all your left with is a bunch of people who actually like the guy.

: 905R 9.5*
904f 15*
Baffler DWS 20*
eye 2
spin milled 54*, Vokey 58* White Hot XG #9 Pro V1x

• Administrator
If Tiger called and said "bad weather can not make pro am,should I stay home or will you still let me play?"I will bet my check they tell him "be carefull and see you tommaro"

That's the thing: Phil

could have made the pro-am. He just decided not to drive a whopping five hours. He didn't make a realistic effort to get there. He didn't even say "wake me at 5am if we can take off (fly) then." So again, I think: a) Tiger wouldn't have been elsewhere on the Tuesday of a tournament b) Had he been, he'd have found a way to get there.
Do you really think Phil is a nice guy out on the course and then goes home (behind closed doors) and is a mentally abusive pig to his wife, kids, family and a prick to all his reps?

You have to ask yourself one question: why was he voted the most disliked guy by his peers? Perhaps it's because he makes them all look bad. Maybe there's something more substantial there.

I've heard from enough people I trust who are associated with Phil that Phil can be a massive jerk to people. More often, though, Phil's agent is the massive jerk. There are all "behind the scenes" people, which is where the "fake" stuff comes from. In front of fans, he's reportedly a different guy. My opinion is fairly well made up, mostly not because of what I've personally witnessed or believe, but primarily because of what I've heard from others, and trustworthy others at that.
Personally I think the sports illustrated writers are retarded for putting Phil in the most hated article.

Phil's peers put him in that article, not the "writers."

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Erik,

I think you ought to stop ragging on the guy and start talking about his golfing skills. In the absence of any overt behavior (like Ty Cobb or Michael Vick), give the guy a break. He's demonstrated good citizenship, family values, support of the troops, charitable giving, and is a strong ambassador for golf.

You shouldn't confuse personality conflicts with poor behavior. That said, I think Phil has a good many friends on tour.

Give some concrete and specific examples of poor behavior, or clam up.
Ping G10 9° driver
Taylormade Burner 3-wood
Taylormade Rescue 16°
Taylormade Rac OS 5-PW
Ping G2 3-4Titleist Vokey SM54.14, SM60.08Odyssey Marxman putterTitleist Pro-V1 balls

• Administrator
I think you ought to stop ragging on the guy and start talking about his golfing skills.

That would be off-topic in this thread, Will.

You shouldn't confuse personality conflicts with poor behavior.

I haven't.

Give some concrete and specific examples of poor behavior, or clam up.

Why bother? As I said, I've heard enough stories from enough people I trust to form MY own opinion. I'm not trying to convince anyone that I'm right, nor do I see any value in trying to do so. Believe what you want. I believe what I want.

Not fake, hilarious. Did you see him interupt the starter yesterday when he (the starter) was rattling off all of Tigers wins on the first tee? It was taking nearly ten minutes and Phil finally said " all right, all right." The whole gallery and Tiger all burst out laughing. Great golf moment.
In My Bag:

Driver::Louisville Golf - Smart Persimmon 9.5*
Irons:CG2 3-PW
Wedges:Reg. 588's (SW, LW)Putter:Studio Design 1Ball:Pro-v1Bag:Pro Stand Deluxe

That would be off-topic in this thread, Will.

Not fake, hilarious. Did you see him interupt the starter yesterday when he (the starter) was rattling off all of Tigers wins on the first tee? It was taking nearly ten minutes and Phil finally said " all right, all right." The whole gallery and Tiger all burst out laughing. Great golf moment.

I thought that was hilarious. It was so drawn out, someone had to say something.

Anyone see his post round interview on Sunday?

Yeah, I have to agree. While I still think he comes across as "fake" sometimes, I have changed my stance a bit. That interview seemed pretty genuine. Actually he seemed genuine and honest all week. From his comments on learning little things Tiger does, to his beef with Tim Finchem, to the importance of beating Tiger, he wasn't afraid to at least touch on these topics.

Driver: 09 Launcher 10.5
4 Wood: 09 Launcher Steel 17
Hybrid: Baffler DWS 20 Aldila Reg
Irons: AP1 4-GW Steel
Wedges: 588 Gunmetal 56 & 60Putter: Studio Style Newport 2Ball: NXT Tour

ooo fake...ooops. well in my opinion i believe that he is very real. and not in a literal meaning. he has 3 majors and 31 tour victories and 4th place standing in the FedEx cup. he's a pretty damn good golfer

Driver: 10.5* SuperQuad TP 1st Edition All Black V2 Stiff
5 Wood - 585.h 19* DG S300
Irons: 3-PW S59 Stiff
Wedges: Rac TP 52*, 60* MP-T 56*
Putter(s): Anser 3 TP Black ballGET TO SINGLE DIGITS!Goal: Beat a certain admin that lives in my town

He is a great golfer. I'm leaning towards the don't know/maybe side. I think he ginueinly loves his family, and can be a very nice person. Other times, I'm a bit curious about the shots he takes towards other people. I'm kinda torn on the issue, because he is a great player and has helped the sport alot. But maybe by letting people know his personallity too much has hurt his reputation a bit.
I'm only at 13 clubs in the bag, what do you reccomend as a 14th? My foot wedge?

In the bag:
Driver - HiBore XL 10.5* Reg. Flex Fit- on Fuji GoldWoods - Tightlies GT2: 3 wood 15* & 5 wood 19* Surpass 7 wood 24*Irons - Eye 2 4-PW & a cheesey 1 iron blade I use for punch...

First of all, I don't think anyone's questioning his ability. He has all world talent.

Secondly, I don't think "taking shots" at people would be considered fake. At least not to me. Actually, that's quite genuine ala Rory Sabbatini. The things I think perhaps come across as fake (to me) is the constant smiling, the thumbs up, the general interaction with the fans, the 'I don't want to talk about me let's talk about all the wonderful mother's out there' (the Players Championship speech). Stuff like that. I'm not saying he isn't genuine, I don't know, I'm just saying that some of those things can come across as fake. I will say that kid in a candy store smile he always displays wasn't all over his face on Monday playing with Tiger. Nice!

Phil seems to me like one of the most down to earth guys on the tour.

I really admire the fact that he sees being a father as being as important if not more than what hes expected to play on tour.

He seems like a real "stand up" guy.
In The Bag

Sumo 13* w/aldila NVS stiff
BB 2004 3wood
Boxer 3,4&5 Hybrids A3 6-Pw CG11 52* & 56* 2 Ball Srt 33"Ball Nxt Extreme

• Administrator
Just saw on TV he made 42 million id 2006-07. Yes, 42 million.

Tiger Woods made about $120M. What's that have to do with the topic, Crate?

Haha... that $42 mil is probably just his deal with Nike I read somewhere where he made around $80-100 million last year. And that figure may have been his "off course" earnings.

But yeah, how does that make/not make Phil Mickelson fake?

Note: This thread is 3538 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!