IGNORED

Is Phil Mickelson fake?

supercow
Note: This thread is 3538 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

2 members have voted

1. 1. Is Phil Mickelson fake?

• Yes
    • No
    • Don't Know/Maybe

If you do a little digging you'll see it's been discussed by a lot of people. I won't name my sources because I don't want to blow their cover, but I will say this: I deeply trust my sources and THEY have talked about Phil's gambling issues. It's also well known that Phil is a sports nut and generally knows the line on any major game, all the NFL teams, etc... and likes to bet on them.

I have heard the same thing. My client's brother is the agent for a Tour Player and he said the same thing.

As I have said in many posts before, I am not a Phil fan. However, I did pull for him over the weekend and was impressed with his attitude and play. He seemed to be more emotional and "real" on the course. His smile seemed much more authentic then the grin he usually sports. It seemed like he dropped his vaneer a little for the team. I wish he would do it more often. There was a great blurb in the Notes section of TGC's e-news letter today about Phil vs. Vijay. SPIKEGATE: That wasn't a subtle statement Phil Mickelson made by wearing soft spikes against Vijay Singh. Their frosty relationship turned arctic two years ago at the Masters when Singh complained that Mickelson and his 8-millimeter spikes were ruining the greens. During a rain delay, they got into a heated argument in the Champions locker room at Augusta National. Mickelson, however, said he switched over to soft spikes about the time he went to work with Butch Harmon. "We changed my foot work," Mickelson said. "I started practicing in soft spikes and started playing in soft spikes in my practice round and didn't switch. What I found was it felt better on my back." Mickelson said he still plans to use metal spikes, but he prefers soft spikes when playing 36 holes, such as the Presidents Cup. "I only had one shot this week were I slipped, so that's encouraging," he said. "When I swing harder at it, I've been all over the place in the past, and now I'm able to maintain better balance." Don't think metal spikes didn't cross his mind for the Sunday singles at Royal Montreal. "I thought about it just for today," Mickelson said. "I thought that would be funny. But I couldn't find any." If there is one guy I like less than Phil it's Vijay, so bravo to Phil he earned an additional point with me for that shot.
Driver: 9.5° 905R Stiff Aldila NV 65
3 Wood: 15.° Pro Trajectory 906F4 Stiff Aldila VS Proto Blue
Hybrid: 19.0° 503 H Stiff Dynamic Gold S400
Hybrid: 21.0° Edge C.F.T. Ti Stiff Aldila NVS
Irons: 775cb 4-GW w/S300 Sand Wedge: Vokey 58° Puttter: Laguna Mid-Slant Pro PlatinumBall: ProV1Bag: Li...

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Lost Ball has heard from a source around Phil several times a year that he is a good guy but quite fake from his TV appearance. Now, he does LIKE Phil and says Phil is a GOOD GUY but he is much more arrogant and short-tempered off the course.

So, I voted Yes but I don't look at Phil as a bad guy whatsoever.

Sometimes arrogance can help a player so more power to him
Golf is so popular simply because it is the best game in the world at which to be bad.

- A.A. Milne

[QUOTE=Pebble2010Champ;80549]Supposedly he has a real big gambling problem that the TOUR is always trying to keep quiet and under wraps, and a bit of a drinking problem.QUOTE]

I think we can all agree that Phil has had his issues with gambling, but he doesn't strike me as someone with a drinking problem. I have never, ever heard that about him before. It's hard to picture someone who has won 32 times along with three majors to have a drinking problem.

As for him being fake or what not, I think that Phil has always had a bit of showmanship about him and he probably does play to the crowd. However, he seems like a pretty decent fellow, for the most part, and unlike many Pros he takes time out of his busy schedule to give back to the fans, which I find to be a very classy gesture.

Phil Mickelson is not as fake as good ol' Jack Nicklaus in my eyes, and no one has wound me up more than Mr. Gary Player recently.

In my Ping UCLAN Team Bag

Nike Sasqautch 9.5 - V2 Stiff
Cleveland HiBore 15 - V2 Stiff
Ben Hogan Apex FTX, 2 - PW - Dynamic Gold StiffNike SV Tour 52, 58 - Dynamic Golf StiffYes Golf Callie - 33 inchesBall - Srixon Z star X

This is the worst thread ever created...and I voted No.

Agree completely.

Best, Mike Elzey

In my bag:
Driver: Cleveland Launcher 10.5 stiff
Woods: Ping ISI 3 and 5 - metal stiffIrons: Ping ISI 4-GW - metal stiffSand Wedges: 1987 Staff, 1987 R-90Putter: two ball - black bladeBall: NXT Tour"I think what I said is right but maybe not.""If you know so much, why are you...

Phil Mickelson is not as fake as good ol' Jack Nicklaus in my eyes, and no one has wound me up more than Mr. Gary Player recently.

Nicklaus?

Driver: FT-3 Tour 10.5, Grafalloy ProLaunch Blue 75-S
FW: Insight XTD Pro FP400F 14.5, Graphite Design Tour AD YSQ FW Stiff
Hybrids: G10 18 / 21, AWT Stiff
Irons: Steelhead X-14 PS 4-A, DG S300
Wedge: Vokey SM58.12Putter: 35" Studio Design 1.5Ball: B330, Z Star X or AD333, or D2 Feel...

yes, I think he's very fake to be honest.

In my Ping UCLAN Team Bag

Nike Sasqautch 9.5 - V2 Stiff
Cleveland HiBore 15 - V2 Stiff
Ben Hogan Apex FTX, 2 - PW - Dynamic Gold StiffNike SV Tour 52, 58 - Dynamic Golf StiffYes Golf Callie - 33 inchesBall - Srixon Z star X

A couple of years ago, I went to the AT&T; Pebble Beach and watch Phil Mickelson play a practice round and at the 18th hole after he finished his round he stopped to sign autographs for everyone, no TV cameras around, he was himself and answers questions and talked with the fans that waited around for him.

He balances his golf with his family and has so much talent as a golfer.

Titleist 910 D2 9.5 Driver
Titleist 910 F15 & 21 degree fairway wood
Titleist 910 hybrid 24 degree
Mizuno Mp33 5 - PW
52/1056/1160/5

"Yonex ADX Blade putter, odyssey two ball blade putter, both  33"

ProV-1

I dont think that he is so much Fake as he is a little awkward. He generally tells the media like it is. He says when he has a problem with Fichem and the tour. He tells us why he doesnt play certain events. He does have that s*@t eating grin but thats where the awkward part comes in. I for one Like old Phil hope he has a great year and can give Tiger a run for his money certainly no one else seems capable now a days.

Driver - Taylormade R9
3 Wood - Titlelist 909F2 15.5 degrees

2H - Nickent

4H - Taylormade
Irons - Mizuno MP-63 5-PW
Wedges - Titlelist 52 and 60 and Cleveland CG-15 56
Putter - Scotty Cameron Stainless Steel NewportBall - Pro V or V1

A couple of years ago, I went to the AT&T; Pebble Beach and watch Phil Mickelson play a practice round and at the 18th hole after he finished his round he stopped to sign autographs for everyone, no TV cameras around, he was himself and answers questions and talked with the fans that waited around for him.

Thanks. We have an opinion of the man from someone who actually met him.

Best, Mike Elzey

In my bag:
Woods: Ping ISI 3 and 5 - metal stiffIrons: Ping ISI 4-GW - metal stiffSand Wedges: 1987 Staff, 1987 R-90Putter: two ball - black bladeBall: NXT Tour"I think what I said is right but maybe not.""If you know so much, why are you...

I dont think that he is so much Fake as he is a little awkward. He generally tells the media like it is. He says when he has a problem with Fichem and the tour. He tells us why he doesnt play certain events. He does have that s*@t eating grin but thats where the awkward part comes in. I for one Like old Phil hope he has a great year and can give Tiger a run for his money certainly no one else seems capable now a days.

I really like your take. Phil is a lot better player than TV spokesperson for himself. He does, at least, try to smile for the camera. Sometimes that comes off as inappropriate. Most of the time it comes off to me as he's not crying over spilled milk and refuses to lose his confidence. When he can't muster up a smile, he keeps pretty quiet. I admire that, too. Ultimately, somebody like Jimmy Roberts will pound him with questions nobody would want to answer.

Best, Mike Elzey

In my bag:

One dude said earlier that if he was a "robot" he would play better, agree.

I really enjoy watching him play...never know if the ball is going in the hot dog stand or jar it in the hole.

I don't like "robot" golf. Which describes 90% of the field.

In the Bag...Ping Hoofer

3dx Tour Square - UST V2 HMOI X Flex
3dx 15* - X flex
Baffler DWS 20* Aldila NV Stiff 4-GW 600XC Forged Irons- S Flex 55* SW - Burner XD 60* LW - Burner XD Craz E Putter <----ProV1x---> Pellet

He's a winer, really turned me off last year when he was blaming the course setup for injuring his wrist.

He and Sergio should start a support group for winers, LOL.
Bill Coulter
Harrod Ohio

www.billcoulterart.com
What's in my bag:Driver SasquatchFW woods Irons X14Wedge's Putter

I think Phil is in no way fake. Its tough to stand out when you're in TIger's shadow, but I think Phil has done a good job.

I don't agree with the earlier posts that say he had his daughter run onto the course just to look like a good dad. I don't see anybody bashing Padraig when his little boy ran out at Carnoustie.

Monster Tour 10.5* w/ Redboard 63
FP400f 14.5* w/ GD YSQ
Idea Pro 18* w/ VS Proto 80s
MP FLi-Hi 21 w/ S300
CG1 BP w/ PX 6.0 SM 54.11 SM 60.08 Sophia 33"

Yes!!!!!

He is trying to do the opposite of Tiger but talking and Hi5 all the fans. Shame is crap though!
Golf is a game whose aim is to hit a very small ball into an even smaller hole, with weapons singularly ill-designed for the purpose.
Winston Churchill

Taylor Made r7 425
Taylor Made V steel 3woodCleveland Halo 2hybridCallaway Big Bertha 4-9Taylor Made 48 & 56Taylor Made Tp 52Odyssey XG 2ball...

Nicklaus?

yes, I think he's very fake to be honest.

I cant honestly believe that you think Jack Nicklaus is fake. I understand that everybody is entitled to their opinion, but I'm not even sure if thats possible to debate. Jack Nicklaus is a kind and genuine man who is himself and himself only 100% of the time.

What reasons could you possibly have to prove that Jack Nicklaus, the most accomplished golfer on all of golf, is fake?

Monster Tour 10.5* w/ Redboard 63
FP400f 14.5* w/ GD YSQ
Idea Pro 18* w/ VS Proto 80s
MP FLi-Hi 21 w/ S300
CG1 BP w/ PX 6.0 SM 54.11 SM 60.08 Sophia 33"

I could see this turning into a great philosophical debate of what makes a man real or not.

I vote Phil is real but he is also very cheesy. When he won the PGA and he was on tv with his wife and kids was so hokey. "I'm so glad you could be here with me for this." That was a bit much. But he also called himself an idiot after the US Open so I think he actually is that corny of a guy. He's just an honest, speak his mind kind of dude I guess. That and I hate Tiger's stone faced, zero emotion attitude.

Hi-Bore XLS Tour Driver
Steelhead III: 3 Wood
Bobby Jones Jesse Ortiz Hybrid
i3+: 3-9 Irons
Vokey Black Nickel: PW, 52, 56, 60 Bettinardi A-02 Putter NXT Tour

Note: This thread is 3538 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!