IGNORED

Is Phil Mickelson fake?

supercow
Note: This thread is 3539 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

2 members have voted

1. 1. Is Phil Mickelson fake?

• Yes
    • No
    • Don't Know/Maybe

I cant honestly believe that you think Jack Nicklaus is fake. I understand that everybody is entitled to their opinion, but I'm not even sure if thats possible to debate. Jack Nicklaus is a kind and genuine man who is himself and himself only 100% of the time.

Regardless of Jack being the most successful golfer yet (not that it is relevant) I just feel that he is fake, I can't explain why.

I don't dislike him for the record.

In my Ping UCLAN Team Bag

Nike Sasqautch 9.5 - V2 Stiff
Cleveland HiBore 15 - V2 Stiff
Ben Hogan Apex FTX, 2 - PW - Dynamic Gold StiffNike SV Tour 52, 58 - Dynamic Golf StiffYes Golf Callie - 33 inchesBall - Srixon Z star X

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think his game is real, but his personality may be up for debate. I know Vijay says this about him in the April 2008 Golf Digest "Hi Phil, Bye Phil". Nobody knows him. But yet when you hear interviews with Phil he seems so sincere and real. Who knows?
"When I play with him, he talks to me on every green. He turns to me and says, 'You're away.' "
-Jimmy Demaret referring to Ben Hogan

In The Bag:
Driver: Cleveland HiBore XL (10.5 -conforming)3 Wood: MacGregor V-FOIL5 Wood: Mizuno MP-001Irons: Ben Hogan BH-5 (4-PW)Wedges:52 - Nike SV Tour56 - Cleve...

I have a friend that knows a caddie that spent a few rounds with Mickelson and the way he treated people is terrible. On the camera he is great but off the camera he is not that nice.

Rick T.
A Big Equipment Freak!!!
Life is too short not to tried everything out there

In the BagDriver: SuperQuad 10.5 REG BABYWoods: TP 3 or 5 woods R7 stiffIrons: AP1 4-PW w/Project X 5.5Wedge: Spin milled 54 (bent to 52) 56 & Special Grind "P" 60Putter: Gauge Design Japan " The Balde"Ball:...

really? thats too bad. Ive always been a Phil fan, probably always will be, but hearing that kinda loses some respect for him if thats true.
Sticks
driver- X460 tour 9.5 Aldila NVS 75
irons- X-forged 3-PW TT BlackGold stiff
wedges- x-tour vintage 52, 56, 60
hybrid- FT-hybrid #2 17* putter- Sophia 33" "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough."_Mario Andretti

really? thats too bad. Ive always been a Phil fan, probably always will be, but hearing that kinda loses some respect for him if thats true.

I too think of him as an Arnie sort of guy before I heard that and it was kinda sad to hear it. My buddy who would not say something like that if he did not hear it from the caddie. It could be that the caddie was upset at Phil for that time but who knows :)

Rick T.
A Big Equipment Freak!!!

In the BagDriver: SuperQuad 10.5 REG BABYWoods: TP 3 or 5 woods R7 stiffIrons: AP1 4-PW w/Project X 5.5Wedge: Spin milled 54 (bent to 52) 56 & Special Grind "P" 60Putter: Gauge Design Japan " The Balde"Ball:...

yeah, he is an Arnie sort of guy. Its always a little sad to hear when one of your favorite golfers isn't a likeable person.

By the way, your a Big Equipment Freak? Me too! , nice set of sticks

Sticks
driver- X460 tour 9.5 Aldila NVS 75
irons- X-forged 3-PW TT BlackGold stiff
wedges- x-tour vintage 52, 56, 60
hybrid- FT-hybrid #2 17* putter- Sophia 33" "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough."_Mario Andretti

I don't know if he is fake or not but I heard he was genuinely just a big ole' dork from a girl who knew him in college.
In my Vantage bag:
Driver::905R 8.5*(V2)
3 Wood:Launcher 13*(V2)
Irons:AP2 (Project X 5.5) (3-W)
HybridTWS 19*Gap wedge:CG15 50* Sand wedge:CG15 56*Putter:: XG9 (35")Ball:ProV1X

By the way, your a Big Equipment Freak? Me too!

Thanks!! I am always excited to try out different clubs. I like your X-forged. Played with them for about 5 rounds in a project X 6.0 and they were butter soft.

Rick T.
A Big Equipment Freak!!!

I don't think he's fake, I think when it comes to the tour he's not "one of the guys". He'd rather spend his free time with his family doing whatever he wants to do than with the other guys on tour...I don't think he's ever tried to hide this. As a result he isn't very close with many of them.

Also, I think a lot of the guys on tour resent that he gets more publicity than anyone other than Tiger. Outside of the Golf Channel, the sports world pretty much ignores everyone but those two. It seems like the players can accept that Tiger is better than them, but not one of them thinks that Phil is. A few months ago in Golf Magazine, several players were asked who they thought the second best player in golf was...not one of them said Phil. I think Vijay in particular fits this. His credentials pretty much equal those of Mickelson, but he gets nowhere the amount of exposure outside of golf circles.

Personally, I really like him. He's pretty much the only current player that I believe is capable of beating Tiger when they're both on, though he seems to have trouble playing at that level consistently.
Callaway FT-9 Tour I-mix 9.5° Driver (Fujikura Zcom Pro 65 stiff)
Mizuno F-50 15° 3w (Exsar FS2 stiff)
Bridgestone J36 19° Hybrid (Aldila VS Proto 80 stiff)
Adams Idea Pro 23° Hybrid (Aldila VS Proto 80 stiff)
Adams Idea Pro Forged 5-pw Irons (DG Black Gold stiff)Nike SV Tour Black Satin...

phil has been fooling people for a while now that he's fake and a damn good job of it. its actually quite amazing that as a fake golfer, he's won the masters and so many tournaments and money but as p t barnum said, "there's a sucker born every minute" and so many have been fooled. if you watch phil, you will see he never gets close to a fire else the plastic would start to melt

They will beat their swords into golf clubs and their spears into putters. Nation will not take up sword against nation, nor will they train for war anymore. Old Tom Morris 2:4

Fake or not, the whole PGA tour is a sort of Soap Opera. In that regard, each player has their own role that they play for our entertainment. If it weren't Phil playing the uber-wholesome family type with skeletons in his closet we would find someone else. A whole bunch of stuff that goes on and around the tour seems like PR and preening. Everyone seems to have their own unique/gimmicky way of differentiating themselves. Phil wants/strives/pretends to be the guy people could bring home to visit the parents. It's lame and a bit hokey, but whatever. Personally, I like Camillo Villegas' "fake-ness." It's at least funny to watch him crawl around.

That being said, I voted no for only one ridiculously and arbitrary reason; we both stand on the same side of the ball and golfers of our ilk need to stick together (and even then, he's not a proper lefty. He just golfs that way).

Dang, I've been sucked in and hoodwinked by his conniving ways. I have seen the light. I agree and change my vote. Phil is a fake lefty. What an illegitimate child.

In My Grom Bag:

Driver: NVG2 Draw
Woods: NVG2 3 & 5 Woods
Hybrid: Baffler DWS 3Irons: GT Xtreme 4-PWWedges: Vokey Oil Can Spin Milled 56.14Putter: White Hot XG9Balls: NXT, e6+Home Course: Apple Mountain Golf Course http://www.applemountaingolfga.com

I know guys that are super people, but they're kind of aloof. Although, I wouldn't call Phil aloof. Keep in mind that there is no "reality TV". While sports isn't scripted, the stupid little TV spots during golf tournaments are.

Every time I hear the heroic music and a Costas voice-over, I just want to puke all over the TV. You can take any golfer's 4 day tourny and make it look good or bad with a little bit of editing and a choice of music.

I honestly think the media makes Phil out to be something he's not (I know this because he's portrayed differently every fricking year.)

titleistprov1x |nikeneo |●| callawayx-forged 54/60 |● |mizunoMP68

adamsproblack 3H |●| mizunoMPtitanium5w/3w |●| mizunoMP630FT

I dont know what to say with this one...I know that a lot of people speculated whether he really injured his wrist at Oakmont...I personally like Phil just because he has a lot of game and can almost stand up to Tiger. I have heard a lot of people say that Phil is not a friendly guy off the course towards people...but I dont know him personally so I cant pass judgement

"People think the size of the head is most important. Wrong. It's getting a quality shaft. test different shafts to see which goes the straightest. Also, more degrees of loft on the head is better than less. Eleven degrees is about right."

I dont know what to say with this one...I know that a lot of people speculated whether he really injured his wrist at Oakmont...I personally like Phil just because he has a lot of game and can almost stand up to Tiger. I have heard a lot of people say that Phil is not a friendly guy off the course towards people...but I dont know him personally so I cant pass judgement

Willie Nelson is the only famous person I can think of that does not seem to have separate public and private personas. I would not expect any pro golfer to be the same person on and off camera. I live in the Columbus area. Word around here is that Jack Nicklaus is an SOB in person. I don't care. I like Phil and Jack.

Best, Mike Elzey

In my bag:
Driver: Cleveland Launcher 10.5 stiff
Woods: Ping ISI 3 and 5 - metal stiffIrons: Ping ISI 4-GW - metal stiffSand Wedges: 1987 Staff, 1987 R-90Putter: two ball - black bladeBall: NXT Tour"I think what I said is right but maybe not.""If you know so much, why are you...

Phil uses studied emotional techniques that are forced, like the perpetual puppet-grin (which, by the way, works to keep spirits light. Try it. You'll look kind of scary, but you'll feel better).

The press plays him up too much, especially his personality, but still he's a better gofler than all but a few out there. I think he's just socially awkward and stiff, so it seems put-on or fake. I don't find him likable or even warm, and certainly not the grassroots hero they try to make him out to be.

In his case, "fake" is in the eye of the beholder. We expect too much from simple types like him. He's just not cut out to be an all-round celebrity, like Tiger and Jack and Lee and others.

Also, many of the players out there "try" to entertain or exaggerate whatever they are doing, like talking to themselves. If you're good at this, it communcates emotions to the audience that you, as a player, probably aren't feeling. Tiger does this often and well.

WIMB
TaylorMade Burner driver 10.5* REAX Reg
TaylorMade Burner 3-wood 15* REAX Reg
Mizuno MX-23 4-PW Reg Steel
Mizuno MP Series forged wedges 52, 56, 60
Putter:  Odyssey White Hot Rossie 36" --  Ball: Snell MTB Black

Phil uses studied emotional techniques that are forced, like the perpetual puppet-grin (which, by the way, works to keep spirits light. Try it. You'll look kind of scary, but you'll feel better).

I can see where you are coming from...I went to one of the practice rounds at Firestone to watch the WGC-Bridgestone--and i can tell you that some of the guys are complete jerks...The nicest guys ive met off course at the hotel were Bob Estes,Justin Rose, Kenny Perry,Darren Clarke..

"People think the size of the head is most important. Wrong. It's getting a quality shaft. test different shafts to see which goes the straightest. Also, more degrees of loft on the head is better than less. Eleven degrees is about right."

I met Phil at Torrey Pines and he was a really nice guy.
I just wish he'd win more. Someone has to give Tiger a challenge.

But, in all truth. I don't think it'll be Phil

Driver Launcher 7.5 YSQ Xshaft
2Hybrid Rescue Hybrid 17*
Irons Tour Preferred 3-PW
Wedges Vokey 52*
Wedges Vokey SM 60*Putter Abaco 33"Ball TP/Red/LDP or Penta TP

Note: This thread is 3539 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!