IGNORED

What Relatively Common Golf Course Features Do You Dislike?

Note: This thread is 3543 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

False fronts

Rich C.

Driver Titleist 915 D3  9.5*
3 Wood TM RBZ stage 2 tour  14.5*
2 Hybrid Cobra baffler 17*
4Hybrid Adams 23*
Irons Adams CB2's 5-GW
Wedges 54* and 58* Titleist vokey
Putter Scotty Cameron square back 2014
Ball Srixon Zstar optic yellow
bushnell V2 slope edition

Blind tee shots

I was just coming to post this. Blind tee shots bug me for two reasons. (1) Most courses will not help you on where to aim, what distance to shoot, etc., etc. It comes down to a guessing game from the tee. And if you guess wrong, there's a good chance you'll be back on the tee hitting 3. (2) It just destroys pace of play. Nobody knows where their ball went and you have to search for it. God forbid your ball ended up in deep rough that you couldn't see from the tee. With forecaddies and a decent explanation, blind tee shots wouldn't bother me at all. But I hate them because those two things basically never happen.

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

believe it or not, this is a big problem around here -

Bunkers that either dont have sand, and are filled with dirt instead, or have some sand and many, many rocks.

Colin P.

More of a layout/rules than shotmaking complaint. I don't like tees so far from the hole that the course uses that as an excuse to make you ride instead of walk.

Agreed 100%!! I think most of this is done to maximize the "golf course views" for home developers. Big premium in price if your home looks out over a golf course.

Also, cart paths that come into play. Paved roads were never intended to be part of a golf course.

I agree with blind tee shots(embarrassed to say I have hit into my fair share of people that way) and false fronts (so you are going to reward the guy who sculls his ball at the green but punish the guy who hits a nice shot and lands 1 yard too short, how nice)

I also hate any tree that is directly in front of the tee box. Usually about 20 yards or so up. Who are you to tell me what shot I should play? I don't want to slice. Not even this once. If you are going to do that make it a tunnel effect where you have to go straight.

James

Pin placements on (relatively) severe slopes on greens, especially on greens that are playing fast.  There is nothing more frustrating for me than having a 6 foot birdie/par put lip out and roll all the way to the edge of the green leaving a 30 footer for par/bogey.

What's in the bag:
Taylormade R15 
Callaway X2Hot pro 3W
Callaway X2Hot pro 20* hybrid
Mizuno JPX900 Tour 4-PW
Cleveland RTX 2.0 50,54, and 58 degree wedges
Taylormade White Smoke putter

F**king water! Screw that shit!

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Overseeded, thick rough.  Doesn't even have to be long, just thick and dense.  Almost impossible for me to negotiate anything longer than an 8-iron from this type of rough.

My home course 'sports' this type of rough.  It's only 2-3" deep, but really difficult to get a club through it.

Our course also has that lost ball 'happy grass,' (what we call it) in many naturalized areas that grows up to about 3 feet then lays over on itself.  Looks beautiful, but when you find it, it's a lost ball at worst and an unplayable at best IF you can find it.

dave

The ultimate "old man" setup:

Ping G30 driver
Ping G Fairway woods - 5 and 7 woods
Callaway X-Hot #5 hybrid; Old school secret weapon
Ping G #6-9 irons; W and U wedges
Vokey 54 and 58* Wedges
Odyssey Versa Putter
Golf Balls

So just recap, after one and half pages of suggestions, we'd remove the following

1: Trees

2: Water hazards

3: Long rough

4: Elevated greens

5: Two-tiered greens

6: Island greens

7: Turf islands in bunkers

8: Blind tee-shots

9: Fairway bunkers

10: Pin placements on severely contoured greens

11: Steep sided bunkers

12: and Jack Nicklaus

This is going to be the mother of all 'must play' courses, can't wait to get stuck into it!!!

All of a sudden I've come over all sympathetic for course designers

• Upvote 1

Taking driver out of my hand.  You can make it difficult, or even an unwise shot, but don't take it out of my hands.  Let me make the decision.

"Witty golf quote."

I don't like courses that have native grass knee deep between holes.  I'm okay with the deep stuff around the outside of the course, I get that, it's like having OB without the stakes.  You hit a ball in that stuff and then spend time looking for, human nature, all that does is make the course play slow.

Craig 

Yeah, wanna make 14 dollars the hard way?

Taking driver out of my hand.  You can make it difficult, or even an unwise shot, but don't take it out of my hands.  Let me make the decision.

Ditto.

I play a couple courses that have dead spots off the tee from ~220-330 yards out so 99.9% of the population (besides maybe Bubba and DJ) can't even consider driver and have to lay up short of the hazard. To me that makes no sense because there is no choice and no risk/reward- it's just gimmicky. Have the dead spot from ~220-270 off the tee and I'd be happy because it gives the longer hitters the option of launching it over.

I don't mind one, maybe two tiered greens on a course. Any more than that is annoying. Nothing wrong with a little challenge, but reading greens is hard enough. Give us lousy novices a small chance for a par a couple of times on a course.

There is such a thing as too many forced carries on a golf course.

In my UnderArmour Links stand bag...

Driver: '07 Burner 9.5° (stiff graphite shaft)
Woods: SasQuatch 17° 4-Wood (stiff graphite shaft)
Hybrid: 4DX Ironwood 20° (stiff graphite shaft)Irons/Wedges: Apex Edge 3-PW, GW, SW (stiff shaft); Carnoustie 60° LWPutter: Rossa AGSI+ Corzina...

I dislike holes where you can avoid hazards by playing the hole on another fairway etc. I wish they would just make a OOB to stop people playing unsportingly.

Note: This thread is 3543 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!