IGNORED

DESPERATE HELP for chipping and lobbing

Note: This thread is 3598 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Im going to the course tomorrow afternoon. I have no idea how to correctly chip or lob the ball. Today my swing was pleasantly consistent thanks to some youtube tips from herman's golf videos (i have been hermanized) That is, my full sswing with hybrid and irons was good. When I TRYto chip the ball with my feet close togeher I feel like imbgonna fall over and lose balance. When i try to use 56wedge grabbing from the middle grip, then i sometimes poke myself in the gut with the top of shaft. My most common mishit is a massive deviation to the right of aiming line, together with slice. Please help me again, my fellow golfers. Im somewhat recovered from an ankle injurry which may or may not affect my close balance, when feet are close together. My wedges are 60deg 56deg 52deg and pitcher for lob shots presumably.

For lobbing, it is the same as a pitch.  Check out this thread.  A lob shot is a pitch shot with the face of the club open for more apparent loft.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

My experience with similar shots is simply that  your hips are probably dead; unmoivng  Coz the ball doesn't need to go very far, your lower body is very quiet.   Dead hips means overly active upper body, slow club head, open club face  = balls goes right.  Move the hips a bit, let the arms swing through. Backswing and downswing same length, and i would say, if you are not H'cap below 20, put those high loft wedges back into bag.  You will get better results, more often, chipping with 8 or 9 irons and come through the ball smoothly and with less downchopping.  Hoping to spin the ball, like on TV, is often not the most effective way to get the ball near the hole.

• Upvote 1

Hi late347, I was the same as you , no short game skills, so picked up Stan Utleys book on the short game and it has really given me the tools and confidence I need from inside 100 yards

Oh shit my game went terribly bad yesterday when I was at my club course. The first hole had quite fast green massive uphill sloped green, when viewed from fairway. I overshot the green with approach. I just could not stay on that green for the life of me. All my chips just rolled off the green... damn that wwas embarrassing. I was doing chip-and-run shots with my 7-i, but everything just rolled off from the green. Other holes I had terriible mishits. Topping and hooking mostly, with maybe one sliced drive into the forest. That round of golf was just terrible. I made one bogey and one par, on full 18. And I actually hit my best golf shots ever at the range, the day before playing on the course. No such luck at the course!

Oh shit my game went terribly bad yesterday when I was at my club course.

The first hole had quite fast green massive uphill sloped green, when viewed from fairway. I overshot the green with approach. I just could not stay on that green for the life of me.

All my chips just rolled off the green... damn that wwas embarrassing. I was doing chip-and-run shots with my 7-i, but everything just rolled off from the green.

Take a look at the link posted above. Use more loft and more bounce.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Quote:

Originally Posted by late347

Oh shit my game went terribly bad yesterday when I was at my club course.

The first hole had quite fast green massive uphill sloped green, when viewed from fairway. I overshot the green with approach. I just could not stay on that green for the life of me.

All my chips just rolled off the green... damn that wwas embarrassing. I was doing chip-and-run shots with my 7-i, but everything just rolled off from the green.

Take a look at the link posted above. Use more loft and more bounce.

Another vote for this.  It also helps with bunker shots.  I have been practicing this pitching technique at home this spring.  This past weekend, I tried it out in the bunker.  I have never hit sand shots so well.

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

Should I open the clubface at adress or not though?

When pitching, open clubface or neutral clubface ?

I'm going to use the instruction technique in the video.

-weight on lead foot at adress

-ball at the heel of lead foot

-feet quite close together

-hinge with wrists, club about parallel in relation to the ground

-very short backswing

-execute a stroke with the very short backswing together with wrist action.

-hope for the best :)

Should I open the clubface at adress or not though?

When pitching, open clubface or neutral clubface?

I'm going to use the instruction technique in the video.

-weight on lead foot at adress

-ball at the heel of lead foot

-feet quite close together

-hinge with wrists, club about parallel in relation to the ground

-very short backswing

-execute a stroke with the very short backswing together with wrist action.

-hope for the best :)

Depends on the shot you want to hit. Higher up you might open the clubface more. I play majority of my pitches with a square clubface, unless I need to engage more bounce, then I open it up and lower the handle a bit.

The other tip I would give is to make sure your body is facing the target at finish. Don't just use all arms, use some body rotation around the front leg. If you get all arms and no body you will thin or chunk the ball (I am guilty of this from time to time :whistle: ).

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Depends on the shot you want to hit. Higher up you might open the clubface more. I play majority of my pitches with a square clubface, unless I need to engage more bounce, then I open it up and lower the handle a bit.

The other tip I would give is to make sure your body is facing the target at finish. Don't just use all arms, use some body rotation around the front leg. If you get all arms and no body you will thin or chunk the ball (I am guilty of this from time to time ).

+++1 on this.  The pitch and chip shots should have the same weight shift and leg movement as full shots with less speed.  I like to feel like my legs are initiating the down swing and controlling the power of the shot along with gravity moving the club head.    The only difference between the two for me is ball position and for a chip, I let my left hand control the shot.  For the pitch, I have my right hand control the shot (from Dave Stockton).

I open the face a little bit on both at set up so it will be square at impact.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

There is a difference between the pitch and the chip. The pitch is a farther shot. For the pitch, I take my normal stance with maybe a little more on my right side. I keep my body very quiet. Square the club face with the ball slightly behind center to ensure a descending blow and prevent sculling. Bring the club back and swing keeping the left arm as my central thought. I try to keep my left shoulder from opening too much. A little wrist hinge on the way back but I hang on to the club with my left hand (don't release my wrists) and follow thru about waist high. This will produce a lower flight. I use a 60* or 64* to compensate. Fly it to the hole, because you won't get a lot of run. I recommend staying away from he lob unless you absolutely have to. It's better to run it a little past and trust your putter than to chunk a flop shot. I can flop, but It's takes a good lie and the most oncentation of any shot I do. I'm not Phil. Chipping is from just off the green when it's too risky to putt. When you can, choose the Texas Wedge (ie putter) if you can. When you can't, grab a PW or 9i to chip with. I try to chip with the same club if I can. Get the feel down with one club. When you feel like you can finally chip, you can take different clubs to chip with. I chip quite a bit like I putt, except I have more weight on my left side, play the ball a little back of center and have a forward lean with my hands. Bring the club back without hinging your wrists (too much) and accelerate thru the chip without releasing your wrists. Follow thru to the target. The worse the lie, the more you'll have to nip or dig out the ball. For a perfect lie, try your normal putt, making sure you land the ball on the green if at all possible for a more consistent ball release. Take a look at the Jim Venetos vids on chipping. He obviuosly exaggerates the weight on the left side, but that is his method. If you don't feel comfortable doing this, just back off the weight shift and closure a bit. The rest of the technique is sound. I can literraly chip with my eyes closed and hit it every time. For fairway bunkers, I typically take an extra club or two for the shot. From 100yds I usually hit a PW, so I'll take a 9i. Take a solid stance and hit a 3/4 shot keeping the head absolutely still and the lower body quiet. I get a consistent strike of the ball. Unless the front edge of the bunker is too high, I typically hit the green witrh a fair bit of spin. I've often thought of doing that shot from the fairway and I'd probably shoot pretty well. :) Plus, I only use tour quality balls such as a Pro V1 etc. I use the Srixon Z-Star. This will spin when it hits the green. If you play a Top Flite, plan on the shots feeling stiff off the club face and not stopping very well on the greens. If you don't feel like hitting and losing $4 golf balls all the time, do what I do sometimes for practice rounds. I cheat like a MFer. I hit a rock off the tee (Top Flite, Pinnacle etc). I find these all over the course. I then replace the tee shot with a Srixon and play the remainder ofthe hole. If I happen to lose the drive, I don't care because I have a garage full of replacements. When I play in league, I of course play the Srixon throughout. PS, practice, practice, practice the shots until all you really think about is where to land the ball. The mechanics are second nature. My 2 cents.

Driver.......Ping K15 9.5* stiff 3 wood.....Ping K15 16* stiff 5 wood.....Ping K15 19* stiff 4 Hybrid...Cleveland Gliderail 23* stiff 5 - PW......Pinhawk SL GW...........Tommy Armour 52* SW...........Tommy Armour 56* LW...........Tommy Armour 60* FW...........Diamond Tour 68* Putter.......Golfsmith Dyna Mite Ball..........Volvik Vista iV Green Bag..........Bennington Quiet Organizer Shoes.... ..Crocs

Short game genius Phil Mickelson talks about ball position as most important. He goes on to say the ball should be played forward (high, soft) or back (lower, running) in the stance - never in the middle.

Short game genius Phil Mickelson talks about ball position as most important. He goes on to say the ball should be played forward (high, soft) or back (lower, running) in the stance - never in the middle.

I didn't read the rest of the thread yet, but middle is good for mid-trajectory with some run out (depending on lie and what club you're using of course). Also, if I'm chipping a 9iron, I prefer middle because a back ball position delofts too much and it's hard to control distance. Ball comes off too hot.

Constantine

I find that all shots around the green I basically power with my arms and the rest of my body moves with the arms. Also I don't get caught up with chip/pitch definitions. There's a lot of variety in the short game and it starts with either a front arm hinge action or back arm roll action

Yep Jet Fan mid is good. I guess Mickelson is not middle of the road...

What do you mean by "not middle of the road?" Sorry, I don't understand.

Constantine

Note: This thread is 3598 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!