IGNORED

If you could not play golf, would you care at all?

joekelly
Note: This thread is 3605 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I believe the vast majority of users here are also players. Unlike in  most other sports where spectators are more numerous than players.  But as a  spectator sport, golf lacks the dynamics of action, and aggression,  that watchers want.

So if you could not, ever again, get out onto the links, or parkland, and knock the pill around under the sunny blue sky, away from the world of woe, would you really care who wins the golf tourney, the Open, the money prize, etc?

Me?  I don't give a one iota of interest to tennis. Do not care one whit about F1, or stock car racing, and in fact, don't care about any spectator sports except that i did grow to be a man in Chicago and can never forget the Cubs, White Sox, Bears, Bulls, Blackhawks, and even the old Chicago Cardinals.

If you read that some billionaire has purchased the best deep sea diving sites in the world, as Trump has done for golf, would you care about those sites or the impact on the sport? I would not. But since Trump is golf, i do care about the golf venues.

I read this 3 times, and I'm sorry, I still don't understand the question.....

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I believe the vast majority of users here are also players. Unlike in  most other sports where spectators are more numerous than players.  But as a  spectator sport, golf lacks the dynamics of action, and aggression,  that watchers want.

So if you could not, ever again, get out onto the links, or parkland, and knock the pill around under the sunny blue sky, away from the world of woe, would you really care who wins the golf tourney, the Open, the money prize, etc?

Me?  I don't give a one iota of interest to tennis. Do not care one whit about F1, or stock car racing, and in fact, don't care about any spectator sports except that i did grow to be a man in Chicago and can never forget the Cubs, White Sox, Bears, Bulls, Blackhawks, and even the old Chicago Cardinals.

If you read that some billionaire has purchased the best deep sea diving sites in the world, as Trump has done for golf, would you care about those sites or the impact on the sport? I would not. But since Trump is golf, i do care about the golf venues.

I think that's the question, I know he goes off into some other stuff but to answer the above, yes I would still have an interest in the game I wouldn't like not being able to go out and do it but yes I would at least watch.

Rich C.

Driver Titleist 915 D3  9.5*
3 Wood TM RBZ stage 2 tour  14.5*
2 Hybrid Cobra baffler 17*
4Hybrid Adams 23*
Irons Adams CB2's 5-GW
Wedges 54* and 58* Titleist vokey
Putter Scotty Cameron square back 2014
Ball Srixon Zstar optic yellow
bushnell V2 slope edition

I probably wouldn't watch as much as I do now (if that's the question). Yes I would "care" if I couldn't play because I like to play (if that's the question).

You're probably all going to think less of me for this (as if that was possible ;-)) but the only thing about golf I really care about is being able to play it and working towards improvement. I kind of follow it, rarely watch it, and I certainly don't care who bought what historical course where. I know a decent amount of information about the game and the players, past and present, because I research and like to be well informed, but I don't feel like I'm missing anything if I'm not watching a tournament, not even the majors. Blasphemous, I know. I was actually talking to my playing partners today about how I wouldn't be able to really appreciate playing somewhere like Pebble Beach because I just don't know enough of the history. It would just be an expensive and difficult golf course with great views to me.
  • Upvote 1

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

You're probably all going to think less of me for this (as if that was possible ;-)) but the only thing about golf I really care about is being able to play it and working towards improvement. I kind of follow it, rarely watch it, and I certainly don't care who bought what historical course where. I know a decent amount of information about the game and the players, past and present, because I research and like to be well informed, but I don't feel like I'm missing anything if I'm not watching a tournament, not even the majors. Blasphemous, I know. I was actually talking to my playing partners today about how I wouldn't be able to really appreciate playing somewhere like Pebble Beach because I just don't know enough of the history. It would just be an expensive and difficult golf course with great views to me.

Pretty much says it for me too.

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

I used to love tennis, tennis fiend, but my body can't take the pounding. I occasionally watch a major final, get asked to go to a major final - usually turn it down. It's bittersweet but you never really complete sever the connection. I also watch golf swing on tv, rather than golf drama. It's the pedagogy of the swing that interests me, plus golf courses (intersects with travel and photography interests), but equipment, personalities, rulings, rankings, Ryder Cup, cigars, clothing, etc... not as interested.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

I read this 3 times, and I'm sorry, I still don't understand the question.....

I was the exact same. The third paragraph threw it for me. I assume the question is of that in the 2nd paragraph.

If the question is, would I still watch and follow professional golf even if I couldn't play myself, the answer is YES. I watch a bunch of sports that I no longer play myself.

In David's bag....

I am no longer able to play football(soccer) but I will watch every game I can. I guess I would be the same with golf. Albeit I would watch alot less golf thatn I do football..

I watch all sports, 2 passionately, but not golf at all. Maybe an hour every 6 months or so. I am supposed to get 2 VIP tickets to Sunday of the US Open so I will be there of course but on TV it is boring to me. They are too good. I would rather watch legit 14s battle it out.

If I couldn't play I don't know what I would do but life would really, really, really, really, really suck.

James

Well, because of health issues I only play golf once every few months; and I have lost interest in following the professional game. I no longer watch the Golf Channel; and this year, I only watched the last couple of hours of the Masters. That said, I still enjoy reading what is going on in the trenches, such as "thesandtrap".

I play and I don't even care anyway.  I don't know those people, I don't care how they do.  I have more important things to do with my time.

I play and I don't even care anyway.  I don't know those people, I don't care how they do.  I have more important things to do with my time.

You follow no sports at all?

In David's bag....

You follow no sports at all?

Not really, no.  I haven't owned a TV for 10 years but I've owned a computer for 20 so if something isn't on the internet chances are I haven't seen it.  Occasional highlight clips while I'm reading the news are about the extent of my sports knowledge.

Right now, if someone threw my clubs in a molten pit of lava I wouldn't give 2 shakes because I'm playing like crap. When I'm playing well you couldn't pry my clubs from my hands. I stopped watching golf awhile ago though, mostly. All it does is give me false ideas of how good I could be.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

Note: This thread is 3605 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!