IGNORED

Should I Buy Used Clubs or Newer "Cheaper" Clubs?

Note: This thread is 3605 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hello all, I am fairly new to the game of golf (I've been playing for a few months). But since I've started playing, I've absolutely fell in love with the game. So, at this point i'd like to upgrade my clubs from what I currently have. Right now I have a crappy, cheap set of old hand me down clubs from my dad (these clubs are almost 20 years old). So that brings me to why i'm writing this thread. Should I buy used clubs, and piece together a set of clubs from say 3balls.com or usedcallaway.com. Or my other option would be buying a new set of clubs that are not as good as something I might find on one of those websites, such as the Adams TightLies set, which retails are 350 or the Callaway Strata Set which retails around 250 or the TopFlite XL set which is around 200.i believe. As of right now my budget is in the $500 range. Any comments, suggestions or thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks!

I've used Callaway pre-owned a few times and can whole heartedly reccommend them. They have some great deals if you sign up for their newsletter. Not a shameless plug, just my own experience.

Corey

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Go used....

Use me for instance....when i first started regularly golfing about a year and a half ago i bought the top flite xl ti set......not a bad set but club quality was so - so and it didnt come with everything that i needed.....

I then bought a brand new taylor made rbz hybrid/iron set however i pieced together my wedges, driver, and putter with used stuff.

Driver- taylormade rbz 50 bucks at pgatourstore

51 deg a wedge.....Nike forgot the type but that was 35 bucks

55 deg s wedge.....cobra trusty rusty 35 bucks

60 deg l wedge.....cobra trusty rusty 35 bucks all at golfsmith

Taylormade rossa monza spyder putter 40 bucks at golf galaxy

every one of those clubs barely looked like they were used for more than 2 swings......buying pre owned is something where you need to shop around and every once and while you will strike gold.....i highly recommend golfsmith or golf galaxy if you have them in your area.

I doubt if I would ever buy any more new irons unless I was going to have a fitter custom-build me a set. There is too much savings on really good clubs on the pre-owned web sites for me to pass up. I'm still playing with R7 TPs right now and they are less than $300 in good condition on Taylormade Pre-Owned.

If you know what you are looking for and are pretty standard for height, then go with used clubs. I've bought many used clubs on eBay and Craigslist. But I knew exactly what i wanted.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

I would say used for sure. I have been going through the same situation myself. I had a beginner no name set that I used for about 8 years when playing about once a month. Last year my driver head flew and that was the worse thing that could have ever happened to all aspects of my life except golf lol. I have been obsessed with the game since then and the equipment.

Used clubs have been my choice. I am fortunate to have a golfsmith, golf galaxy, and pga tour superstore within 3 miles of my apartment right now so I can easily check for any new trade in they get. It is very fun to find a gem at a great price! Plus I have bought multiple iron sets from these stores, tried them for a bit, and then resold them on ebay....sometimes for a profit. If you buy a box set the resale value will be pretty much nothing.

I have put together a bag except my 3 wood and hybrid for about 400 bucks. And it is only that high because I bought my driver new before I discovered the wonderful world of used clubs and it cost me 200 itself.

I have never tried the online sites you mentioned but many people have given them good reviews. It is a little more risky, but I have also had good luck buying a few clubs off ebay.

I would have to agree with the used clubs. So many great sets of irons can be had for less. I bought a set of Cobra Amp Cell irons for $199. Cleaned them up that night and put new grips on. Once you play a round with new clubs they pretty much look like most used ones. Clean them and good as new. Ping G25 hybrid $89. A bit much for what I wanted to spend still may trade it back and grab something else. R1 driver $89. Back to topic used is a great way to get quality for less. PGA Superstore does have Cobra trusty rusty wedges and Cleveland 588 wedges last years model but still new for $49.99.

:sunmountain: eco lite stand Bag
:tmade: Sim 2 Max driver
 :callaway: Mavrick 20 * hybrid
:tmade: M2 3HL                               :mizuno: JPX 923 5-gw                           

Lazrus 52, 56 wedges

:scotty_cameron:
:true_linkswear:-Lux Hybrid, Lux Sport, Original 1.2

:clicgear:

I'd also go used. Don't forget to check with Global Golf, they are a sponsor here. I have bought a few clubs from them, and the clubs were in much better condition than they described. Although sometimes the the pic's don't exactly match the club, best to call, or e-mail them to verify. Just click on the sponsor link at the top to get their website.

I'm still playing with R7 TPs right now and they are less than $300 in good condition on Taylormade Pre-Owned.

This is me. I haven't bought a new club in over 10 years. Of course, someone has to buy new so that we scroungers have more to choose from!

Don

In the bag:

Driver: PING 410 Plus 9 degrees, Alta CB55 S  Fairway: Callaway Rogue 3W PX Even Flow Blue 6.0; Hybrid: Titleist 818H1 21* PX Even Flow Blue 6.0;  Irons: Titleist 718 AP1 5-W2(53*) Shafts- TT AMT Red S300 ; Wedges Vokey SM8 56-10D Putter: Scotty Cameron 2016 Newport 2.5  Ball: Titleist AVX or 2021 ProV1

Tell to your local golf shop reps you want some used clubs. Especially with the arms race between TM and Callaway, people are trading in clubs more often. The shops need to sell off the trade-ins quickly to get their $$$ back.

If you have an idea of what shafts and flex you need, you will know what used irons to try out. If it's a near fit, such as needing a lie adjustment or thicker grips, the shop can do this for your at a small charge.

Another option is to get some "legacy model" irons which different OEMs are putting out. These are based on head models from the previous cycle, usually with a Uniflex shafts (no real shaft variety). These come in at between $299 and $399. Examples are Callaway X.Hot N14, TM Burner 2.0 HP, and Nike VR.S X irons. If you like how they feel and can hit them decently, these could work.

We're starting to see some legacy drivers and FWs too, such as the Callaway white-headed Razr Blacks.

Possible plan: Get used or legacy for the short run - until your swing really stabilizes - then go for the custom fitted wonder bag in a couple of years.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

I would also say to buy top of the line equipment used versus new but marginal quality.  I have had good success searching on eBay and just bought a new - still in the packaging material - Ping G15 Driver for $124.99.  All but 3 clubs (hybrids and putter) are used but they consist of a Ping G15 driver and G5 3 wood, Nike Sumo and  Callaway X Hot hybrids, Titleist DCI OS Irons (7-SW), and a Ping putter.  I made a lot of changes to clubs (more hybrids and less irons, upgrade in driver) and did not have to spend a fortune.  And the clubs are as great as they were when they were new.

Well, when you're talking new-vs.-used, we're not really going from the bottom to the top, the savings aren't THAT huge. Like, I was looking at the RocketBallz irons, and they went from $350 to $260, new-to-used. Of course, there was also the outlier of the TM SpeedBladez, where they can be $800 new at Dick's but the "Mint," unused (but opened) set on Global Golf is only $550, which is obviously a big drop (they're actually $470 right now because they have them 15% off).

But the typical case doesn't appear to be stepping way up in club quality by going used, maybe one step up. However, I'm debating the new/used route now myself, and I'm unsure if I want to go up to a higher-quality set (new Burner 2.0 or RocketBallz set or used JPX-800 or RocketBladez set), if I want to just pocket the savings (also need to buy a keyboard), or if I want to put the savings into a better wood, driver, or putter.

Buy used!! Make sure it is a certified dealer though. There are fakes out there! I got a Taylormade RBz stage 2 3 wood a couple of months after it came out for $67. It had two small paint chips on the side near the hossel. I have bought most of my golf clubs used, and I have never had a single problem. Unless you like the gratification of buying brand new and spending hundreds of dollars on a single club...

Dylan

Twitter: @d_brock504

Agreed, I'm definitely leaning used after comparing prices, though I think the "hundreds of dollars on a single club" is a little extreme for many of us. For example, I was looking at the TM RocketBallz stuff, and you can get the driver for $100 new at most places now, or the woods for $80, I think. I think you'd have to go with a high-end driver to hit $200+ for a single club (and that's probably the driver).

I'm mostly just debating if I want to aim for Global Golf's current 15% off deal, or if I want to wait on next weekend, to see if they offer a better deal for Memorial Day. Of course, I have to go get fitted (or, at least, pseudo-fitted) Sunday or Monday to see if the non-extended stuff form Global Golf is even an option for me, because length charts tell me I probably need 1/2"-1" extensions on clubs. Being a taller, short-armed fellow is kind of a letdown in this whole thing, haha.

Agreed, I'm definitely leaning used after comparing prices, though I think the "hundreds of dollars on a single club" is a little extreme for many of us. For example, I was looking at the TM RocketBallz stuff, and you can get the driver for $100 new at most places now, or the woods for $80, I think. I think you'd have to go with a high-end driver to hit $200+ for a single club (and that's probably the driver).

I'm mostly just debating if I want to aim for Global Golf's current 15% off deal, or if I want to wait on next weekend, to see if they offer a better deal for Memorial Day. Of course, I have to go get fitted (or, at least, pseudo-fitted) Sunday or Monday to see if the non-extended stuff form Global Golf is even an option for me, because length charts tell me I probably need 1/2"-1" extensions on clubs. Being a taller, short-armed fellow is kind of a letdown in this whole thing, haha.

Global golf is good, not great. Get on eBay. They have certified dealers and can find some killer deals. I just found my driver there a month ago through Callaway Preowned. Got fit for the specs and then found it. Callaway X Hot. been hit twice. $104 after shipping and all.

Dylan

I've used Callaway pre-owned a few times and can whole heartedly reccommend them. They have some great deals if you sign up for their newsletter.

Not a shameless plug, just my own experience.

+1 on Callawaypreowned.com  Clubs are practically new if not new.  Great customer service as well.

Global golf is good, not great. Get on eBay. They have certified dealers and can find some killer deals. I just found my driver there a month ago. Got fit for the specs and then found it. Callaway X Hot. been hit twice. $104 after shipping and all.

I considered it, though I am admittedly leery on eBay with things. Just taking a quick glance, the JPX-800 set I was looking at on Global Golf for $340 (after the 15% discount) is the same $340 on the low-end for the 4-PW set on eBay. Not trying to be argumentative or anything, just making a note of the first thing I saw. Any tips as to who to look for on the "trusted" distributor front with them? I've still got about 3 days until I can see about getting fitted, so I figure I'd ask your opinion on that and get to looking.

I considered it, though I am admittedly leery on eBay with things. Just taking a quick glance, the JPX-800 set I was looking at on Global Golf for $340 (after the 15% discount) is the same $340 on the low-end for the 4-PW set on eBay. Not trying to be argumentative or anything, just making a note of the first thing I saw. Any tips as to who to look for on the "trusted" distributor front with them? I've still got about 3 days until I can see about getting fitted, so I figure I'd ask your opinion on that and get to looking.

I completely understand. You have to be careful. When clubs are listed, these are my "qualifications" the item has to meet.

From an individual- REAL pictures, not copy from google. Read their sellers reviews and read their description. If you think it checks out, buy. I would be very cautious though. I have bought maybe 1 or 2 clubs from an individual

From a company- Scroll down and you will see where the club is advertised on their actual website. Again, use your judgement. I use callawaygolfpreowned, 3ballsgolf, greatgolfsales, budgetgolfer, golfetail, and for balls I buy from golfballsunlimited. 3balls is awesome! I had an issue with a club once and they paid for shipping to get it back and corrected the mistake at no cost. I got Callaway X Hot 4-AW November 2013 for $417 from them. Pretty good deal if you ask me.

Other than that, I really try to use my judgement, although I can't say I have had a bad experience off of eBay with golf equipment. I have bought everything except my putter off of eBay.

Please understand you CAN and WILL find good deals from global golf. I have used them once or twice.

Dylan

Note: This thread is 3605 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!