IGNORED

I'd Be Scratch with a Better Mental Game

Note: This thread is 2948 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I would need a better 'mental game' to play without shaking in front of an instructor of this pedigree. Seriously.

Vishal S.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator

I would need a better 'mental game' to play without shaking in front of an instructor of this pedigree. Seriously.

Pffft. I don't know about that. It's just golf. It's not like I am filming you every time or anything.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I hate when my "mental game" tells me to hit pull hooks, tops, thins or 3 putts like that and it turns out to be a bad decision.

I have had times where my "mental game" told me to hit a pull hook into trees on the left and have the ball bounce back into the fairway.  Just need to get more consistent with the "mental game".

Quote:

Originally Posted by GolfLug

Pffft. I don't know about that. It's just golf. It's not like I am filming you every time or anything.

I agree somewhat with GolfLug.  It is just golf, but I would be somewhat nervous as well.  Not exactly sure why, if I am hitting poor shots, that is what the instructor is there to help.

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

Probably walked over to the nearest sand trap and did this: [URL=http://thesandtrap.com/content/type/61/id/97773/] [/URL]

Eh, he probably wouldn't be able to keep his head down long enough.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

@iacas now I'm confused, I thought the reason for getting LSW is to help with this mental game stuff ... ;-)

Yep. The mental game barely exists when you stink at this game. That's a luxury for decent-to-good players IMO.

I agree with that but I'm still really interested in getting my hands on LSW to see what it has to say.

Mike

• Administrator
@iacas now I'm confused, I thought the reason for getting LSW is to help with this mental game stuff ...

I assume you're joking, but LSW is of course not about the mental game.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I think people (not the teachers themselves) underestimate how much psychology is involved in teaching golf. Teaching in general for that matter.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

I assume you're joking, but LSW is of course not about the mental game.

I was but I also thought LSW was about the mental game since I tend to think any decision that can impact my score is about the mental game even to the point of deciding what workout program to follow or not since it is a decision that can potentially impact my scoring. I understand that probably is not the meaning of mental game in general though, actually I don't know what that definition might be.

Mike

I was but I also thought LSW was about the mental game since I tend to think any decision that can impact my score is about the mental game even to the point of deciding what workout program to follow or not since it is a decision that can potentially impact my scoring. I understand that probably is not the meaning of mental game in general though, actually I don't know what that definition might be.

I'm thinking mental game is that breath in breath out and you'll be able to hit some nice shots bull s#%^. :)

:adams: / :tmade: / :edel: / :aimpoint: / :ecco: / :bushnell: / :gamegolf: / 

Eyad

• Administrator

I was but I also thought LSW was about the mental game

It's not. We have a good sized section on GamePlanning, but I wouldn't call that "the mental game" either.

I think most people consider the mental game things like "think positive thoughts" and basically self psychology, not "making decisions." That's far, far too broad.

Whatever "mental game" means, I think it's pretty overrated for every level of player. Either you can hit a golf ball consistently well or you can't. Like @mvmac said, thinking positive thoughts isn't going to change path or face issues.

Bubba Watson has two Masters, and it could be argued he has the worst mental game of any active tour pro.

I think there are times when we all get down on ourselves and we need a pep talk, but the best way to play better is to address the biggest issue with our actual golf game and fixing it.

Constantine

Other than occasional smile from lady serendipity, a supposedly great mental game wouldn't stand a chance of compensating for a bad move through the ball. Reverse not true. Good physics (read 'swing') can overcome just about anything. I think for 99% golfers mental game is nothing more than controlling nervousness, which keeps you from keeping your senses engaged. Beyond that, I think this 'stupid monkey' stuff they talk about is about all the mental management I care for.

Vishal S.

Other than occasional smile from lady serendipity, a supposedly great mental game wouldn't stand a chance of compensating for a bad move through the ball. Reverse not true. Good physics (read 'swing') can overcome just about anything. I think for 99% golfers mental game is nothing more than controlling nervousness, which keeps you from keeping your senses engaged. Beyond that, I think this 'stupid monkey' stuff they talk about is about all the mental management I care for.

I agree. A good swing will inspire a lot of confidence. If your swing is reasonably dependable, you are GIR +1 most of the time and GIR some of the time. If your swing is good, then GIR more of the time. That mere fact alone will give you confidence on the course and help with the "mental" game. You can meditate or whatever all you want, but unless you have the swing and ball striking to back it up the ball won't go where you want it.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

It's not cool to call me out like this Erik... You know all my problems are in my head!

To be honest I used to think I could be a really good golfer but I have come to be honest with myself and realize that if I can ever break into single digit HC it will be a miracle and I'll be happy with that. This guy may have the same problem I used to have, which is mistaking the fact that he can hit some good shots with the idea that he is a good golfer. It took me awhile to realize that anyone can hit good shots, that doesn't make you a good or potentially a good golfer. It just makes you a normal golfer.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

To me, the mental game is maintaining your best form under duress. Say thousands of people watching you, millions, or having your play count for your non-discretionary income.

Also keeping cool, not letting your emotions get ahold of you when you make a bad shot or have to wait 20 minutes on the tee, not making a bad decision.

My approach is if my swing looks good on video and I hit the ball consistently, straight and far enough, the score will go down. I used to focus on score much more and somehow got my score down, but I reached a limit because my fundamentals were awful and really didn't have a sound swing and I wasn't too knowledgeable in terms of instruction and teachers and the like.

I guess it's a little like sitting for an exam. If you did the preparation, studied as best you could, you really have nothing to get nervous about. If you didn't do any work, of course you should be nervous unless you're crazy smart and those are rare birds.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

I've met and played golf with a few guys on occasion whom have improved their game or they said over the years !!!

Found out, their "mental side improvement" was from entering and boasting they could shoot low scores.......

They seldom broke 90, when golfing with me, but blamed it on all kind of occurrences from the day.

I looked up their Ghin posting and sure enough, no scores entered above 81........

Some people just seem to have "ego situations" which they never overcome.

Always made for and interesting day and lots of laughs afterwards........

:beer:

Club Rat

Johnny Rocket - Let's Rock and Roll and play some golf !!!

Sure. And I think I would get comfortable eventually. But if I ever ran into the good fortune of playing a round with you, at least for the first few holes, I would expect you to be highly impressed with my skill of finding the right end of the club to hold EVERY SINGLE TIME. Beyond that, you must not hold any violations, moving or otherwise, against me.

Vishal S.

It's not. We have a good sized section on GamePlanning, but I wouldn't call that "the mental game" either.

I think most people consider the mental game things like "think positive thoughts" and basically self psychology, not "making decisions." That's far, far too broad.

You are right that it is pretty broad.  But I am one of the ones who would probably put "making decisions" in the "mental game" category.  Simply because:

A)  I had never really thought about it much before now and

B)  The "opposite" of "mental game" is "physical game," and decision making certainly doesn't fall in that category.

Perhaps a lot of people just consider "decision making" to be its own third category?

They kind of go hand-in-hand though in some aspects.  For example, I play in a tournament and it's at a course that I know well, so I develop a good game plan beforehand.  Then after I drop a few shots, I start to allow my mind to wander into the area of scores (where I think I stand, what I think I need), and I start second guessing my game plan and then somehow, stupidly, talk myself into changing my previously well thought out decision.

Regardless, it's laughable that somebody would be that bad and yet think that it's only the mental game that's keeping him from being scratch.

Note: This thread is 2948 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!