IGNORED

How Would You Play It? (16th at Whispering Woods)

iacas
Note: This thread is 3537 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator
The risk vs reward of hitting a driver looks horrible so that is out of the question.  I'd hit a 3 wood and then lob wedge it onto the green.

The opposite is more true. [quote name="boogielicious" url="/t/74530/how-would-you-play-it-16th-at-whispering-woods/60#post_989923"]The Google Earth shots do not reflect the danger of the hazards or the severity of the area off the fairway. [/quote] I did say they were hazards and drew the arrows.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

You have a better chance to put the ball to within 30' if you're 30 yards from the green than if you're 90.

Ordinarily, I agree.  But given the perceived risk/reward based on your description, I think I'm going to hit the green more times from the result of my hybrid shot than that of the driver.

Unless I'm misunderstanding, and you're guaranteeing the result of the driver this time.  I didn't read it that way though.  Ordinarily, closer is better.....but not always.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Quote:

Originally Posted by boogielicious

The Google Earth shots do not reflect the danger of the hazards or the severity of the area off the fairway.

I did say they were hazards and drew the arrows.

Yeah. @boogielicious is just mad because he picked 3 wood............ :-P

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

Yeah.  @boogielicious is just mad because he picked 3 wood............

Yours was a lucky guess, Teacher's Pet!!!  Plus, driver is my most inconsistent club.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Would you believe me if I said that I almost posted yesterday that I'd changed my mind to driver or long iron, and the time I actually played the hole I used a driver? No? Didn't think so. :no: Boy I can be stupid.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

I guarantee you don't hit your 3W to within 27 yards or so on average. If that were true you'd hit 230-yard par threes regularly as that's about the same width. The best PGA Tour pro in 2013 averaged only 62% GIR from 200+ yards. So even if you're playing so well you're Justin Rose in 2013, you still shouldn't hit the 3W.

People routinely overstate how good they are, and how small their dispersion patterns are. I don't want to give too much away, but this is a big part of LSW

If I overstate how good I am I would really suck because I pretty much state that I simply suck now. :-D

I probably don't hit 230 yard greens more than about 1 out of 5 (if that?) but there are an unlimited number of places my bad shots can go in (or just out of) a fairway that wouldn't be on a green. Could be anything from way short to way long and still be playable.

BTW. I don't disagree at all with your assessment of the best way to play the hole. You have played it and I haven't and you are a much better player than I am.

Even though I think a 3W would be a smarter play for me than a driver (because my driver could also hit either hazard or the bunkers or any other trouble) past history tells me I wouldn't be able to resist taking a whack with the driver anyway.

I suck way too much to guarantee that the driver would take any of the hazards out of play.

I answered before seeing the iacas answer but I think I'd stick with the 3 wood.  Between my ability to hit that club somewhat straight and how perfectly the second shot distance matches my lob wedge it just doesn't seem worth it to be (potentially) pitching out of some gnarly rough on the side of a mountain.  Perhaps if the neck where the D is was as wide as where the 3 wood is I'd consider a driver but I've been burned enough times by being in the rough to know that I don't like it.  I would definitely like to see the hole in person though because I wouldn't be surprised if my decision changed due to the ground level perspective.

I answered before seeing the iacas answer but I think I'd stick with the 3 wood.  Between my ability to hit hat club somewhat straight and how perfectly the second shot distance matches my lob wedge it just doesn't seem worth it to be (potentially) pitching out of some gnarly rough on the side of a mountain.  Perhaps if the neck where the D is was as wide as where the 3 wood is I'd consider a driver but I've been burned enough times by being in the rough to know that I don't like it.  I would definitely like to see the hole in person though because I wouldn't be surprised if my decision changed due to the ground level perspective.

You would prefer to be in a hazard?  30 yards out of a gnarly rough is not bad if you only need to get it close enough to 2 putt.

• Upvote 1

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

You would prefer to be in a hazard?  30 yards out of a gnarly rough is not bad if you only need to get it close enough to 2 putt.

I think the odds of me ending up in one of those hazards with a 3 wood is less than the odds of me being in the rough (or bunker) with a driver.  But like I say, if I was standing on the tee box and looking at the fairway and the whole thing looked dangerously narrow I might just say screw it, either I thread the needle or I don't and hit a driver.

Excellent thread love these discussions.

For me, I would play a hybrid of the tee to try and keep my 2nd shot on the fairway to give myself more of a chance to get on green in two.

If I hit the fairway with the hybrid and left 90 yards that's a strong 58d wedge. At my own level of golf, I think this would be the best route as the driver and 3w have a much higher % of error and could leave me with a horrible lie or line in too the green and make the 2nd shot even more tricky.

Excellent thread love these discussions.

For me, I would play a hybrid of the tee to try and keep my 2nd shot on the fairway to give myself more of a chance to get on green in two.

If I hit the fairway with the hybrid and left 90 yards that's a strong 58d wedge. At my own level of golf, I think this would be the best route as the driver and 3w have a much higher % of error and could leave me with a horrible lie or line in too the green and make the 2nd shot even more tricky.

You hit a 58 degree wedge 90 yards and uphill 30 feet?  I'm not saying it can't be done but if you can it's definitely better than me.

You hit a 58 degree wedge 90 yards and uphill 30 feet?  I'm not saying it can't be done but if you can it's definitely better than me.

Nah your right I made a bit of a school boy error, well quite a big one. I did not account for the 30ft uphill. I would have probably have to hit my 52d, but I would still play it the same way as my long game is pretty horrendous at the minute.

• Administrator
I think the odds of me ending up in one of those hazards with a 3 wood is less than the odds of me being in the rough (or bunker) with a driver.  But like I say, if I was standing on the tee box and looking at the fairway and the whole thing looked dangerously narrow I might just say screw it, either I thread the needle or I don't and hit a driver.

The odds are lower. Not a lot, but a little. The problem is… a hazard is a one-stroke penalty. You'll be hitting your approach shot with your third. A 30-yard chip shot - even a 30-yard bunker shot for your second - is way, way, way easier than a 90-yard third shot. Lowest Score Wins teaches you how to build a "Decision Map" that will make these kinds of things somewhat obvious. Everyone's will be different, and again that's the trouble in putting these kinds of things up (some people hit their drivers like crap, others can't hit a hybrid, or the opposites, etc.), but for each of you, you'll be able to make your own individual Decision Maps and choose the best strategy for any shot.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

So, so, so looking forward to this book. How many copies did I order again? 30? LOL, besides my friends and family, I think I'm going to have to keep a couple copies in my bag at all times to give to the random people I get paired with during rounds.... only the "cool" ones will get a free copy though :-D

Constantine

I'm a short hitter so I'd go 3W, but it would land in the H area. One upside of being a short hitter is 90 yds is a full gap wedge for me. Taking the elevation into consideration. I'd prob hit my PW or 9i and I'm pretty confident in those clubs.

Driver: Callaway Mavrik 10*

Wood: Callaway Epic Flash 17* 

Hybrid: Callaway Mavrik 20*

Irons: Callaway Rogue X 5i-GW

Wedges: Vokey SM8 54*S and 58*K

Putter: Ping Prime Tyne 4

• Administrator
I'm a short hitter so I'd go 3W, but it would land in the H area.

That's not what it says. It says you are playing the tees that would put the ball in the areas specified.

I updated the OP with a link to the "answer."

So, so, so looking forward to this book. How many copies did I order again? 30? LOL, besides my friends and family, I think I'm going to have to keep a couple copies in my bag at all times to give to the random people I get paired with during rounds.... only the "cool" ones will get a free copy though

LOL, yeah I don't remember how many I bought either.  I know I didn't buy 30 copies though.  I think I got 5. :beer:

Just read the answer and was surprised never thought about the hole like that. Guess that's why my handicap is so high :D

Will be purchasing a copy of the book for sure. Should do more of these threads for different holes fun and interactive.

Note: This thread is 3537 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!