IGNORED

Name Your Team USA Ryder Cup Squad

SteveBamford
Note: This thread is 3494 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I'm not a Reed fan nor a Team USA fan, but I think Reed is exactly what the team needs. Lots of talent, confidence and, more importantly, a chip on his shoulder. He could be your Poulter.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

If he's playing well, I'll take him on the team. My only worry with Reed is the chemistry factor. This is something Europe always beats us in except in 08 when our team seemed to have that camaraderie. I've heard a lot of people say he's not the most social or well-liked guy on Tour. The US just seems to have been missing that chemistry. I think guys like Keegan Bradley and Rickie Fowler help...they need more like that.

I'm not a Reed fan nor a Team USA fan, but I think Reed is exactly what the team needs. Lots of talent, confidence and, more importantly, a chip on his shoulder. He could be your Poulter.

At this point, I'd take him over Woods or Phil. Let's get Ryan Moore too.

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

Take the top 12 guys on the Ryder Cup standings. Send a message.

Eh, Keegan's not in the top 12 but he's playing with a fire and desire and this team needs that. I want that guy on my team the way he's playing.

If he's playing well, I'll take him on the team. My only worry with Reed is the chemistry factor. This is something Europe always beats us in except in 08 when our team seemed to have that camaraderie. I've heard a lot of people say he's not the most social or well-liked guy on Tour. The US just seems to have been missing that chemistry. I think guys like Keegan Bradley and Rickie Fowler help...they need more like that.

Well it just seems like most of the Euro guys are good friends. I know Bubba an Rickie are close, but other than that, not sure of any other relationships. Furyk and Woods are close as well.

Rose, Westwood, Poulter, GMac and Rory are all pretty close friends evidently.

:tmade: R1 Driver
:tmade: Burner 18.5 Wood
:tmade: Rocketballz 19 Rescue

:mizuno: MP-59 4-PW Irons
:cleveland: CG16 52, 56
:cleveland: Classic Mallet Putter

:bridgestone: e5 Ball

I'm not a Reed fan nor a Team USA fan, but I think Reed is exactly what the team needs. Lots of talent, confidence and, more importantly, a chip on his shoulder.

He could be your Poulter.

Dont like him but completely agree with you. He deserves a spot at this point given the other circumstances. I would not be picking Tiger or Mickelson unless both turn it on in the next few weeks. I also think Keegan could be the Poulter of USA going forward. From how he talks, sounds like he has a true passion for the Ryder Cup like Poulter.

As of right now here would be my picks (of course things can and will change in the next month):

Bubba-Rickie

Furyk-Spieth

Kuchar-Z.Johnson

Walker-Keegan

Todd-Reed

Dufner-Na

I pick Na because the USA needs a ton of great putters. Sure he is a head case but maybe he could be a Sergio like headcase against Europe. Todd also a great putter and has performed very well all year. That team right there has almost all good to great putters. Dufner of all of them is my one question mark. He isnt exactly all there this year, but he has some experience which I think is important as Spieth, Reed. Todd, Na all will be Ryder Cup rookies. The only thin lacking on this team is distance. Rickie, Keegan and Bubba are pretty much the only power guys. Maybe Watson goes with an random pick like Gary Woodland to reinforce some distance. Woodland has played fairly well this year and currently 23rd on the ranking list.

Not a flashy team, but if i'm Watson, I am going unconventional, risky, and rewarding the players who have performed this year. Gotta try something different.

I'm not a Reed fan nor a Team USA fan, but I think Reed is exactly what the team needs. Lots of talent, confidence and, more importantly, a chip on his shoulder.

He could be your Poulter.

I'd agree with you for the most part, but would question the strategic wisdom of trying to whip a crowd up when you're out numbered 50 to 1. Normally as a visiting team and captain you want to try and dilute the impact of the home support. Watson is your ideal man for that. I wouldn't be best pleased if I were Tom (or a team mate with a flakey temperament like Bubba) if a single players ego was allowed to turn 30,000 spectators on me. It needs to be pointed out to Reed that whereas he might get off playing the bad guy (as Poulter does) he needs to consider the performance of others less happy in role. I think otherwise though the point is a fair one at a certain level. Might work better at Hazeltine though.

I would elect young talent as a captain's pick over Phil and Tiger. Let the young bucks get experience and that will lead to confidence and a burning desire to make future Ryder Cup teams.

I'm sure that's the correct way of going. It would be stupid to say that America is destined to lose this already, but it might be a building process with one eye on 2016 yet. The Ryder Cup has to mean something to America, and one detects that it doesn't. Or to be more precise, it doesn't mean as much to a certain cohort. I thought there was evidence at Medinah that a new generation was emerging who were getting fed up of the golfing world laughing at them every two years. They'll need to sharpen up though, as the medium term force is with Europe as more and more countries start to play the game

Eh, Keegan's not in the top 12 but he's playing with a fire and desire and this team needs that. I want that guy on my team the way he's playing.

I think Keegan gained a lot of kudos with his decision to take up Tom's invitation at Gleneagles. I'd agree with you Chris. When I'm looking around at the faces of the folk in the trench with me, I'd rather have someone who has shown me by act of deed that they're committed, and are going to fight alongside me, than someone who has asked his tweeter to put some banal pap out in social mediasphere, or an agent issuing a meaningless press release proclaiming how much I love my country. I thought Bradley was impressive at Medinah and I'm reasonably confident Tom's picking him. I think Tom values loyalty and how else is he supposed to think? Look at it again

He invites "20 or so" to join him

"4 or 5" agree to accompany him

2 turn up - including Jim who is nailed on to play

What regard do you now hold Keegan Bradley in? If you have to make a 50/50 call, who do you select?

Dont like him but completely agree with you. He deserves a spot at this point given the other circumstances. I would not be picking Tiger or Mickelson unless both turn it on in the next few weeks. I also think Keegan could be the Poulter of USA going forward. From how he talks, sounds like he has a true passion for the Ryder Cup like Poulter. As of right now here would be my picks (of course things can and will change in the next month): Bubba-Rickie Furyk-Spieth Kuchar-Z.Johnson Walker-Keegan Todd-Reed Dufner-Na I pick Na because the USA needs a ton of great putters. Sure he is a head case but maybe he could be a Sergio like headcase against Europe. Todd also a great putter and has performed very well all year. That team right there has almost all good to great putters. Dufner of all of them is my one question mark. He isnt exactly all there this year, but he has some experience which I think is important as Spieth, Reed. Todd, Na all will be Ryder Cup rookies. The only thin lacking on this team is distance. Rickie, Keegan and Bubba are pretty much the only power guys. Maybe Watson goes with an random pick like Gary Woodland to reinforce some distance. Woodland has played fairly well this year and currently 23rd on the ranking list. Not a flashy team, but if i'm Watson, I am going unconventional, risky, and rewarding the players who have performed this year. Gotta try something different.

Only things I'd change are Moore in place of Todd and Simpson in place of Na. Those two would fold under the pressure, esp in Scotland.

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

Only things I'd change are Moore in place of Todd and Simpson in place of Na. Those two would fold under the pressure, esp in Scotland.

I could see Moore but Todd has truly played better than Moore this year and Simpson has not played that well this year.

I could see Moore but Todd has truly played better than Moore this year and Simpson has not played that well this year.

Simpson has good chemistry with Watson which is why I picked him. And Moore is due, I think he'd play very well. Seems unflappable. No way could I envision Na playing well, he'd be moving around with his deer in the headlights look like he was on another planet. Like he looks in all big events on the weekend.

I'd agree with you for the most part, but would question the strategic wisdom of trying to whip a crowd up when you're out numbered 50 to 1. Normally as a visiting team and captain you want to try and dilute the impact of the home support. Watson is your ideal man for that. I wouldn't be best pleased if I were Tom (or a team mate with a flakey temperament like Bubba) if a single players ego was allowed to turn 30,000 spectators on me. It needs to be pointed out to Reed that whereas he might get off playing the bad guy (as Poulter does) he needs to consider the performance of others less happy in role. I think otherwise though the point is a fair one at a certain level. Might work better at Hazeltine though.

I'm sure that's the correct way of going. It would be stupid to say that America is destined to lose this already, but it might be a building process with one eye on 2016 yet. The Ryder Cup has to mean something to America, and one detects that it doesn't. Or to be more precise, it doesn't mean as much to a certain cohort. I thought there was evidence at Medinah that a new generation was emerging who were getting fed up of the golfing world laughing at them every two years. They'll need to sharpen up though, as the medium term force is with Europe as more and more countries start to play the game

I think Keegan gained a lot of kudos with his decision to take up Tom's invitation at Gleneagles. I'd agree with you Chris. When I'm looking around at the faces of the folk in the trench with me, I'd rather have someone who has shown me by act of deed that they're committed, and are going to fight alongside me, than someone who has asked his tweeter to put some banal pap out in social mediasphere, or an agent issuing a meaningless press release proclaiming how much I love my country. I thought Bradley was impressive at Medinah and I'm reasonably confident Tom's picking him. I think Tom values loyalty and how else is he supposed to think? Look at it again

He invites "20 or so" to join him

"4 or 5" agree to accompany him

2 turn up - including Jim who is nailed on to play

What regard do you now hold Keegan Bradley in? If you have to make a 50/50 call, who do you select?

The way Keegan's playing this week and if he stays hot next week, he may climb enough points to make it on his own.

As for Ryan Moore, my biggest issue with him is he's not good in the clutch. Always throws himself in contention and then disappears on the weekend.

Brendon Todd seems to be going through a cold stretch right now......let's face it, outside of Bradley, everyone outside the top-10 is not on good form right now. Snedeker "seems" to be playing better and he's one of those guys that shoud be looked at seriously if he gets rolling these last few weeks before the selections.

Simpson has good chemistry with Watson which is why I picked him. And Moore is due, I think he'd play very well. Seems unflappable.

No way could I envision Na playing well, he'd be moving around with his deer in the headlights look like he was on another planet. Like he looks in all big events on the weekend.

Hahaha but thats what I find sickeningly redeeming about Na. I think Na's problems could become a distraction for the Euros and their fans. And to be honest, the guy has some game. He has seemed to somewhat overcome his issues.

Ugh and I dont know if I can watch Bubba and Webb together. If I wanted Team Church, I would turn on channel 11 on Sunday mornings.

Simpson's had a rocky year. While he does have a couple back door top-5s, he has played really poorly in the year's biggest events. He missed the cut at The Masters, The Players and The Open. He finished T-45 at the US Open and T-47 at the Cadillac. Not good. He's going to need a lot of prayers to get picked for the team.

I will say this about Webb....his wife is smoking. I'd be going to church on Sundays thanking the Lord if I got married to that.

Ugh and I dont know if I can watch Bubba and Webb together. If I wanted Team Church, I would turn on channel 11 on Sunday mornings.

Two shot penalty for outside assistance

I'm thinking ChrisP and atb5079 should be made vice-captains, I sense between you that you're coming with a team that would give us more concern. I also feel that you're identifying some of the traits needed to make this format work. It's not necessarily about looking at pages of medal play data, you need to look at other indicators and try and draw out character

I'm asked quite frequently when ringing round the US (well by those who answer phones instead of lobbing everything into voicemail) what our secret is? In truth we haven't really got one. We've relied on America to motivate us, although I'd never under-estimate the impact of Kiawah 1991. That still resonates.

I do wonder if Medinah might start to have a similar catalysing effect?

Actually the Bubba / Webb thing and the Sunday Church fourball does have a bit of currency. It was noted in the British media that Corey Pavin's picks came from his own bible group (couldn't tell you if that's true or not, as our media aren't averse to inventing stories) but it was also presented in a light that was made to look as if America's selection process was borderline corrupt, nepotistic, and that they were a somewhat weird bunch of fanatical zealots. Now I'd actually be surprised if this translated to the European team, but it was probably designed more to plant a seed in the mind of a hostile gallery.

Two shot penalty for outside assistance

I'm thinking ChrisP and atb5079 should be made vice-captains, I sense between you that you're coming with a team that would give us more concern. I also feel that you're identifying some of the traits needed to make this format work. It's not necessarily about looking at pages of medal play data, you need to look at other indicators and try and draw out character

I'm asked quite frequently when ringing round the US (well by those who answer phones instead of lobbing everything into voicemail) what our secret is? In truth we haven't really got one. We've relied on America to motivate us, although I'd never under-estimate the impact of Kiawah 1991. That still resonates.

I do wonder if Medinah might start to have a similar catalysing effect?

Actually the Bubba / Webb thing and the Sunday Church fourball does have a bit of currency. It was noted in the British media that Corey Pavin's picks came from his own bible group (couldn't tell you if that's true or not, as our media aren't averse to inventing stories) but it was also presented in a light that was made to look as if America's selection process was borderline corrupt, nepotistic, and that they were a somewhat weird bunch of fanatical zealots. Now I'd actually be surprised if this translated to the European team, but it was probably designed more to plant a seed in the mind of a hostile gallery.

Lol so whats your squad then?

Note: This thread is 3494 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!