IGNORED

Name Your Team USA Ryder Cup Squad

SteveBamford
Note: This thread is 3515 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Todd or Kirk? Yikes! That's Brett Wetterich/JJ Henry/Vaughn Taylor territory. Coincidentally all picked in 2006! Believe it or not, we got destroyed that year.

The outlook's not looking much better this year the way Rose/Scott/Garcia/Stenson are playing right now. That's 4 of the 5 best players in the world right now and they're playing like it.

The outlook's not looking much better this year the way Rose/Scott/Garcia/Stenson are playing right now. That's 4 of the 5 best players in the world right now and they're playing like it.

I've been campaigning for Robert Streb for a while now, he could be an x-factor. As could Chris DiMarco.

Riley

We don't need no Aussies!

I thought you were Captain material yesterday Chris after yourself and ATB set about diagnosing the problems and solutions quite accurately I thought, so this is just a short lapse I reckon. Rule number 1, never get hung up about the opposition. We don't. Which is probably why the likes of Woods and Mickelson have sub 50% records. If you can take McIlroy down early that's a crushing morale blow about a format where momentum is often critical. See it as an opportunity and look for merucrial players who don't respect reputations

I said I'd have a go at naming an American team this weekend, but this web page is having a lot of loading issues in the last 48 hours so I might have a go at it with the results of today known later

The more I see of Tiger though, the more I'm saying No

I think there's two ways of looking at it

On paper America is getting battered in these matches. Dig a bit deeper though and they're only just losing by small margins. Are we in the radical change the cast camp, or is it closer to one more small heave will do the trick?

I'm probably leaning more towards the former in truth, and even if America does wheel out Tiger and Phil again, it has to be a support role now, not on the front line

Dustin Johnson is going to be a massive loss, possibly more so than any one on the team. If Jimmy Walker's wife does transpire to be one of his conquests (he's probably been linked with half the PGA by now) then there might be a question mark over his participation yet, or at the very least his state of mind.

Perhaps Tom might go for an inspired Dick Cheney moment yet!!!!

Just as a matter of interest (as there seems to be a lot of American dispondancy about) what price are your bookies making a US win at?

Patrick Reed anybody??? ;)

DJ is out, Tiger is almost certainly out of consideration now, and Reed just tied for 4th at Bridgestone.  Seems almost impossible to think that he won't qualify now, eh?

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Poor Tom, one of golf's great gents having to forge something out of this motley crew. And yet you know what, I think he might do it. I really do. I think American expectation is sinking so fast that with a few mind games (underdogs v's nailed on certs etc) the American team might play liberated golf and spark a whole new generational interest in the RC

The RC is weird, strange things can happen, but to give it a chance, Tom needs to brave now and clear the decks and see where the voyage takes him and the team. Have discreet chats with some of the next generation and tell them, that you need them to take on the mantle now..... to boldly go .......

Poor Tom, one of golf's great gents having to forge something out of this motley crew. And yet you know what, I think he might do it. I really do. I think American expectation is sinking so fast that with a few mind games (underdogs v's nailed on certs etc) the American team might play liberated golf and spark a whole new generational interest in the RC

The RC is weird, strange things can happen, but to give it a chance, Tom needs to brave now and clear the decks and see where the voyage takes him and the team. Have discreet chats with some of the next generation and tell them, that you need them to take on the mantle now..... to boldly go .......

Tom is in a no lose situation. NOBODY expects the USA to win this year. If he can magically put a W on the board, he's a magicman and should coach the next Ryder Cup team too!

Tom is in a no lose situation. NOBODY expects the USA to win this year. If he can magically put a W on the board, he's a magicman and should coach the next Ryder Cup team too!

Are things really that bad 9I? No seriously? We have a tremendous amount of respect, nay, it's become almost love for Tom. We think he probably is a magicman capable of anything, but crucially, he does it with a very agreeable and understated manner. We like that

What price is America being quoted to win the RC?

I've crirticised American layers enough times as being useless and cowardly on their odds (and they are) but on this particular market, the top price in our village tonight is 11/8. I'd say that was stinghy about an event that last happened in 1993 (albeit with a certain T Watson at the helm)

Are things really that bad 9I? No seriously? We have a tremendous amount of respect, nay, it's become almost love for Tom. We think he probably is a magicman capable of anything, but crucially, he does it with a very agreeable and understated manner. We like that

What price is America being quoted to win the RC?

I've crirticised American layers enough times as being useless and cowardly on their odds (and they are) but on this particular market, the top price in our village tonight is 11/8. I'd say that was stinghy about an event that last happened in 1993 (albeit with a certain T Watson at the helm)

FF, I have no idea what the odds are on the event as I don't really bet on sports unless I am playing myself. Just anecdotally speaking to my playing partners at my club, we think Europe wins easily.

The current standings after Bridgestone:

7. Patrick Reed (3609.393)

8. Jason Dufner (3559.720)

9. Zach Johnson (3532.894)

10. Phil Mickelson (3350.338)

11. Keegan Bradley (3324.698)

12. Brendan Todd (3307.983)

13. Ryan Moore (3288.872)

14. Chris Kirk (3287.883)

It's a deadlock. If any of the three golfers currently in the remaining automatic qualifiying positions misses the cut at the PGA Championship, any of the chasing players will be able to overtake him with a top-ten result. (Technically, any player in the top 100 would be able to surpass Reed's current total with a victory, but that's getting a little ahead of things.)

In my UnderArmour Links stand bag...

Driver: '07 Burner 9.5° (stiff graphite shaft)
Woods: SasQuatch 17° 4-Wood (stiff graphite shaft)
Hybrid: 4DX Ironwood 20° (stiff graphite shaft)Irons/Wedges: Apex Edge 3-PW, GW, SW (stiff shaft); Carnoustie 60° LWPutter: Rossa AGSI+ Corzina...

The current standings after Bridgestone: 7. Patrick Reed (3609.393) 8. Jason Dufner (3559.720) 9. Zach Johnson (3532.894) 10. Phil Mickelson (3350.338) 11. Keegan Bradley (3324.698) 12. Brendan Todd (3307.983) 13. Ryan Moore (3288.872) 14. Chris Kirk (3287.883) It's a deadlock. If any of the three golfers currently in the remaining automatic qualifiying positions misses the cut at the PGA Championship, any of the chasing players will be able to overtake him with a top-ten result. (Technically, any player in the top 100 would be able to surpass Reed's current total with a victory, but that's getting a little ahead of things.)

I think it will probably finish Reed-Dufner-then Bradley or ZJ. Ryan Moore & Chris Kirk right behind.

Riley

I think it will probably finish Reed-Dufner-then Bradley or ZJ. Ryan Moore & Chris Kirk right behind.

Reed: a tentative captain's pick if doesn't qualify, but he'd have to defend that pick with his play during the three tournaments after the PGA.

Dufner: not in contention for a captain's pick if he doesn't qualify; he would need a big result in the playoffs.

Z. Johnson: in danger of missing the team if he falls outside of the top nine and neither Mickelson or Bradley qualify.

Mickelson: after shooting 62 on Sunday, and after Tiger's injury, a place on the team is his if he wants to play.

Bradley: a lock to be on the team; he could help other outside bubble guys by bumping someone out of AQ position.

Moore, Todd: pick 'em; as it stands, one makes the team, and the other doesn't.

Kirk: recent results don't hold up against the two players ahead of him; on the fringe of the bubble.

Others: get near the top of the leaderboard at Valhalla, then enter the discussion.

In my UnderArmour Links stand bag...

Driver: '07 Burner 9.5° (stiff graphite shaft)
Woods: SasQuatch 17° 4-Wood (stiff graphite shaft)
Hybrid: 4DX Ironwood 20° (stiff graphite shaft)Irons/Wedges: Apex Edge 3-PW, GW, SW (stiff shaft); Carnoustie 60° LWPutter: Rossa AGSI+ Corzina...

Reed: a tentative captain's pick if doesn't qualify, but he'd have to defend that pick with his play during the three tournaments after the PGA. Dufner: not in contention for a captain's pick if he doesn't qualify; he would need a big result in the playoffs. Z. Johnson: in danger of missing the team if he falls outside of the top nine and neither Mickelson or Bradley qualify. Mickelson: after shooting 62 on Sunday, and after Tiger's injury, a place on the team is his if he wants to play. Bradley: a lock to be on the team; he could help other outside bubble guys by bumping someone out of AQ position. Moore, Todd: pick 'em; as it stands, one makes the team, and the other doesn't. Kirk: recent results don't hold up against the two players ahead of him; on the fringe of the bubble. Others: get near the top of the leaderboard at Valhalla, then enter the discussion.

I don't know about Phil. He's played shit golf all year and now after a 62, he's a lock? If he plays well at the PGA, then yes he should be in. Also, when is the last week to earn points and when do the captains make their picks?

Riley

Reed: a tentative captain's pick if doesn't qualify, but he'd have to defend that pick with his play during the three tournaments after the PGA.

Dufner: not in contention for a captain's pick if he doesn't qualify; he would need a big result in the playoffs.

Z. Johnson: in danger of missing the team if he falls outside of the top nine and neither Mickelson or Bradley qualify.

Mickelson: after shooting 62 on Sunday, and after Tiger's injury, a place on the team is his if he wants to play.

Bradley: a lock to be on the team; he could help other outside bubble guys by bumping someone out of AQ position.

Moore, Todd: pick 'em; as it stands, one makes the team, and the other doesn't.

Kirk: recent results don't hold up against the two players ahead of him; on the fringe of the bubble.

Others: get near the top of the leaderboard at Valhalla, then enter the discussion.

I'd throw Snedeker in the discussion for a Captain's Pick, especially now that Tiger's likely out. Showing signs of old form and has a good relationship with Watson. Still think he needs a good finish at PGA to be considered, but played well this week and at US Open and has a good mentality for the RC.

Dufner is also a question mark with his neck problems. Word is he has a bulging disc that he's going to get checked out again after the PGA.

From that list, I would say Reed, Zach, Phil and Bradley are absolute locks to be on the team...of those 4 whoever doesn't make it on points will be picked.

whats going to be interesting is if Watson goes with struggling experienced big name players like Sneds, Dufner, Webb, Zach ... OR ... a crop of young guns that might have better record on paper this year, but are inexperienced in match play (Kirk, TOdd, Stroud, etc).

We shall see ...

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I'd throw Snedeker in the discussion for a Captain's Pick, especially now that Tiger's likely out. Showing signs of old form and has a good relationship with Watson. Still think he needs a good finish at PGA to be considered, but played well this week and at US Open and has a good mentality for the RC. Dufner is also a question mark with his neck problems. Word is he has a bulging disc that he's going to get checked out again after the PGA. From that list, I would say Reed, Zach, Phil and Bradley are absolute locks to be on the team...of those 4 whoever doesn't make it on points will be picked.

I would feel more comfortable with Sneds rather than Chris Kirk or Turdo Sandowich or whatever..Dufner's bulging dicks are a concern, I hope he can recover in time for the ryder cup if he is an AQ

Riley

IMHO, mickelson and bradley are a lock. Hoping someone like Spieth (or another newer member) can turn into a match-monster like Poulter. The US will really need a few to surprise to the upside, to have a chance.

Im actually taking my dad to the event this year (sort of a bucket list type thing). When I started making plans, the Euro's weren't nearly as strong. While ultimately the trip isn't about how the US plays, it would be just my luck to travel across the globe only to see them get slapped around.

Note: This thread is 3515 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!