IGNORED

Seeking advice for new bag setup

Note: This thread is 3624 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

This seems like the best area of the forum to put this.

I have put off ditching my Walmart clubs and getting new ones for years due to the fact that I never felt it was worth it. Now that I play a bit more than I used to, want to dedicate time to getting better, and have some disposable income, I want to get a whole new setup.

I obviously know I need a driver, putter and iron set. I'm looking at some game-improvement irons that are 4-AW and finding a driver and putter is a simple enough feat. My question: what else should I keep in my bag? Specifically, if I were to get an iron set like that, what should I be looking at in terms of woods, hybrids and wedges?

I'm not a great player, but would say that I consistently shoot in the 90s. Low 90s on a great day, upper 90s and higher on a terrible day.

Drivers are pretty much the same, some are a bit less forgiving, but most anything name brand from Taylormade, Callway, Ping arn't going to hurt your game.

As for irons, depends on what you like. Most major companies make some good products. Callaway and Taylormade tend towards the game improvement iron area. Though Adams does a good job with their mix sets of hybrids and irons.

I recommend hybrids. I think they help out high handicappers a ton. They just give them a better chance at advancing the ball over a long iron.

As for putter, if you are serious about your game go find an Edel fitter. It will cost you a pretty penny (about Scotty Cameron price) but you are getting a putter you know is for you.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

This seems like the best area of the forum to put this.

I have put off ditching my Walmart clubs and getting new ones for years due to the fact that I never felt it was worth it. Now that I play a bit more than I used to, want to dedicate time to getting better, and have some disposable income, I want to get a whole new setup.

I obviously know I need a driver, putter and iron set. I'm looking at some game-improvement irons that are 4-AW and finding a driver and putter is a simple enough feat. My question: what else should I keep in my bag? Specifically, if I were to get an iron set like that, what should I be looking at in terms of woods, hybrids and wedges?

I'm not a great player, but would say that I consistently shoot in the 90s. Low 90s on a great day, upper 90s and higher on a terrible day.

I'm a wee bit confused. With all due respect, you have a Walmart set of clubs and you don't know what you need other than a driver, putter and iron set (4-AW) and you shoot in the low 90's? I'm not judging you by your equipment, but you seem to have an lack of knowledge of the game based on this post. Do you REALLY shoot in the low 90's? If you do, I have certain recommendations. If you don't, I have certain recommendations. I find it too common people not counting strokes properly and misjudging their true score. Just ask my dad. He thinks he shoots in the low 90's with me, but when we play together, he plays 110+ every time. He doesn't count his drops, foot wedges, OB, lost balls, etc. I'm not trying to criticize you, rather get the REAL truth out. It would really help if you could list your clubs with your distances to see if you have any "gaps" you can fill by adding a club. Also, do you consider your short game, or long game to be your weakest link? In other words, could you benefit more from adding a lob wedge, or a 3 wood?

Dylan

Twitter: @d_brock504

Congrats on getting to the point where you want to get serious about your game.  My first bit of advice would be to get properly fitted if you're going to spend the money for decent clubs.  It is amazing how much difference having the right shaft in a club can make.  Some of the big-box golf retailers have good fitters, some not so much it seems.  My personal experience was that the "fitter" wanted to make sure that my perfect fit was something they had in stock.  But even that would be better than nothing.

So far as what to get, the "best" club mix it is really a personal question, but here's one suggestion.  Yes get a driver, then consider a 4 fairway rather than a 3.  A 4 is easier to hit off the deck and will get you darn near as much distance as a 3.  Choke down a bit and you don't need a 5 either.  I have gone to carrying a 7 fairway, but some think a 3 hybrid is the cat's meow, try 'em both.  The choice between a 4 iron or a 4 hybrid is again purely personal, you gotta figure out what you can hit better, or if you want one at all for that matter.

On the other end of the bag, I personally think everyone needs a club of at least 56* like a sand iron, and a lot of people think a 58* or 60* lob wedge is important including me.  You might take a long hard look at Ping irons since they tend to offer wedges that match their sets and aren't bad clubs if you don't have your heart set on some other specific brand of wedge.  The new Karsten irons have wedges down to a 55* sand wedge, the G25 and older G20 irons go down to a 58* lob wedge.

So far as a putter... that is mighty personal.  Edel was recommended and most I've heard of who have them love 'em.  Most of the big name putter makers have high end putters in the $300+ range, and I would recommend getting fitted for any of them, but there are lots of pretty nice putters that cost a lot less and can serve you well, particularly until you are pretty sure you've settled in on one particular putting style and have no intent to change.  If possible find one of the big-box retailers that has a good selection of putters out for testing and spend some time rolling balls.  The darn things come in so many shapes and sizes only you can decide what fits your eye and aligns right, what turns you on, and what turns you off.

• Upvote 1

Driver: Titleist 913 D2 10.5*, Aldila RIP Phenom 50

Fairway 1: Titleist 913F, 17*, Titleist Bassara W55

Fairway 2: Titleist 913F, 21*, Titleist Bassara W55

Irons: Titleist AP1 714 5-PW, Aerotech Steelfiber i95

Wedges: SCOR 4161 48/52/56/60, Genius 9

Grips: GolfPride New Decade Red Mid-size on all of the above.

Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2 - Super Stroke Slim 3.0

Two really good points from @PirateJim.

• Get fitted.
  • Consider a 4W and 7W pairing. Tests reported in Golf Digest say the average golfer can hit a 4W more reliably - and sometimes longer - than a 3W.

I currently carry 4W, 7W and 4H. You can compare the 5W or 7W against hybrids to see which mix works best for you in the long clubs.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

I'm a wee bit confused. With all due respect, you have a Walmart set of clubs and you don't know what you need other than a driver, putter and iron set (4-AW) and you shoot in the low 90's? I'm not judging you by your equipment, but you seem to have an lack of knowledge of the game based on this post. Do you REALLY shoot in the low 90's? If you do, I have certain recommendations. If you don't, I have certain recommendations. I find it too common people not counting strokes properly and misjudging their true score. Just ask my dad. He thinks he shoots in the low 90's with me, but when we play together, he plays 110+ every time. He doesn't count his drops, foot wedges, OB, lost balls, etc. I'm not trying to criticize you, rather get the REAL truth out. It would really help if you could list your clubs with your distances to see if you have any "gaps" you can fill by adding a club. Also, do you consider your short game, or long game to be your weakest link? In other words, could you benefit more from adding a lob wedge, or a 3 wood?

Perhaps I didn't clarify, or perhaps you didn't read close enough, but I said it's typical for me to consistently shoot in the 90's. I've shot low 90's on great days but, more often than not, am shooting in the mid-to-upper 90's. It's also not uncommon for me to fail to break 100. I'm pretty adamant about playing by the book, so to speak.

If you want to say I have a lack of knowledge of the game, fine, whatever, but I don't think that necessarily correlates directly to scoring, but I'm not going to argue that.

The reason I ask is because I've never had a proper bag setup, hence why I don't know what a good setup would be. All I've ever had is my iron set, putter, driver and fairway woods (which I can't hit well, so I leave them in the bag). I typically always use my friends wedges.

I'm pretty solid with the accuracy of my irons, but am not very good off the tee and my short game needs plenty of work. I'm decent with the putter.

Perhaps I didn't clarify, or perhaps you didn't read close enough, but I said it's typical for me to consistently shoot in the 90's. I've shot low 90's on great days but, more often than not, am shooting in the mid-to-upper 90's. It's also not uncommon for me to fail to break 100. I'm pretty adamant about playing by the book, so to speak.

If you want to say I have a lack of knowledge of the game, fine, whatever, but I don't think that necessarily correlates directly to scoring, but I'm not going to argue that.

The reason I ask is because I've never had a proper bag setup, hence why I don't know what a good setup would be. All I've ever had is my iron set, putter, driver and fairway woods (which I can't hit well, so I leave them in the bag). I typically always use my friends wedges.

I'm pretty solid with the accuracy of my irons, but am not very good off the tee and my short game needs plenty of work. I'm decent with the putter.

I guess that's what I get for speaking candidly. The reason I worded it that way is because if you needed more help will ball flight, I would suggest hybrids. If you didn't I would suggest other things. The clubs I have in my bag are listed in my signature. My distance looks like:

-Driver 275+

- 3 wood 250-275

-3 hybrid 21* 200-220

-4i 190-200

-5i 180-190

-6i 170-180

-7i 160-170

-8i 150-160

-9i 140-150

-PW 130-140

-AW 110 max

-SW 80 max

I don't really have any "holes" in my yardage that I feel I need to address. If you would list your yardage like I have done, you might see holes that you need to fill. Also ask your self, "am I in situations where I need a ____ that often?".

Most people suggest a 60* lob wedge. I never could get used to mine. My 56 does it all for me. I recommend you get some wedges, just to avoid having to use your buddy's. Try some low hybirds (2,3,4) out if you can't hit your woods. I can hit a 3 hybrid a lot better than a 7 wood and they do the same thing, plus I can pick a 3h off the deck easier than I can a 7w.

Dylan

Twitter: @d_brock504

If I wanted to spend the money, I would get Ping G25's. I put together a set of Pinhawk Single Length clubs. They are Game Improvement clubs. instead of spending just under $1000 on G25 irons, I spent under $300 for the Pinhawks. They are also easier to hit since every swing is the same. I consistently hit in the low to mid 70's. I'm looking to make that move to the 60's. Time will tell. My future son-in-law wants to take up the game, so I'm puttng together a set of Pinhawks for him. A few free lessons will be included. :)

Driver.......Ping K15 9.5* stiff 3 wood.....Ping K15 16* stiff 5 wood.....Ping K15 19* stiff 4 Hybrid...Cleveland Gliderail 23* stiff 5 - PW......Pinhawk SL GW...........Tommy Armour 52* SW...........Tommy Armour 56* LW...........Tommy Armour 60* FW...........Diamond Tour 68* Putter.......Golfsmith Dyna Mite Ball..........Volvik Vista iV Green Bag..........Bennington Quiet Organizer Shoes.... ..Crocs

You can save money on the irons by getting components or older/used sets. I highly recommend you do this and try to spend whatever to get a couple clubs you really like such as a wood or hybrid and a wedge of some kind. Drivers are overpriced but I'd spend less than the 200$ range for any club unless you know it will last like a putter. I'd get a nice hybrid just for its versatility, maybe a 19˚ hybrid or 5 wood and to have something to hit off the tee besides driver. Wedge wise, I think my brother has it right; he had a half set of irons and a 2 hybrid and driver he never hits, got a really nice 52 wedge and used it for everything conceivable. Only now that he's slightly better has he added a full set. It doesn't need to be a 52 for you, just something you like. I'd try not to buy everything at once either, take the time to adjust to each club and see how you use them.

Ditto on getting fitted. And a couple lessons will help a lot more than spending that money on a nicer driver, etc. Don't forget the ball either, you may be able to get one that fits you and play it consistently if you don't do that currently.

I'm a wee bit confused.

I'll say, you seem to think you're on a forum full of single digit players. This place is full of guys who never break 90 that are serious about the game, or knowledgeable.

In My Bag:

Adams Super LS 9.5˚ driver, Aldila Phenom NL 65TX
Adams Super LS 15˚ fairway, Kusala black 72x
Adams Super LS 18˚ fairway, Aldila Rip'd NV 75TX
Adams Idea pro VST hybrid, 21˚, RIP Alpha 105x
Adams DHY 24˚, RIP Alpha 89x
5-PW Maltby TE irons, KBS C taper X, soft stepped once 130g
Mizuno T4, 54.9 KBS Wedge X
Mizuno R12 60.5, black nickel, KBS Wedge X
Odyssey Metal X #1 putter 
Bridgestone E5, Adidas samba bag, True Linkswear Stealth

@jrode ,

I would add to @saevel25 and @PirateJim 's post to take your time as well.  Go and hit a bunch of different irons, woods and drivers and get a feel for what you like from a contact, flight and looks perspective. You've been playing well with your first set and can continue that for a little while.

Adding to @LuciusWooding , I've found that drivers and putters tend to lose value quickly meaning you can get used ones for a lot less than the new models.  Irons and wedges hold their value a bit longer.  If you know exactly what you want, this may be a good way to save some money.  Look for last years model or even two models ago.  Example: Ping G25 driver retails for $299 now.  The G20, $199 new.  I just bought a G20 for my godson on ebay for $100.  Because Taylormade puts out so many new drivers, you can pick up a model from a couple of years ago for around $100 and it can be near mint.  The change in performance is small too, so you may not notice a difference between the G15 and G25 Ping driver other than looks.

Good luck and have fun with this!

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Note: This thread is 3624 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!