IGNORED

My first US Open Qualifier experience

phillyk
Note: This thread is 2663 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Welp, shot an 80 this time around (in the middle of the pack) at The Home Course.  I'm still in the midst of a swing change and my irons, which I usually have hit well lately, gave me trouble this time.  I kept hitting fat because it was too far forward in my stance, but I got nervous about putting it too far back.  I haven't played in too many tournaments over the last couple years, but I'll be playing in a lot more this year as more opportunities have presented themselves.  So the nerves will go away and I can stay comfortable.  But this time around was a lot better for my play.  Most of all, I had fun!  The course was set-up very tough as it should be, but it was manageable and fun to work out how to play it.  I didn't get upset over bad shots because I expected them to happen.  But I made a lot of great putts for par.  I made some poor birdie putts though.  I'm on a good trend from last year though.  So next year will be a 70.  :)    Even par made it to sectionals this year which surprised me a lot. I really expected scores to be lower.  I did play with a guy who shot a 71.  He played well, but mainly he was able to recover from his mistakes better than I was, and his approach shots gave himself better birdie opportunities.

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Welp, shot an 80 this time around (in the middle of the pack) at The Home Course.  I'm still in the midst of a swing change and my irons, which I usually have hit well lately, gave me trouble this time.  I kept hitting fat because it was too far forward in my stance, but I got nervous about putting it too far back.  I haven't played in too many tournaments over the last couple years, but I'll be playing in a lot more this year as more opportunities have presented themselves.  So the nerves will go away and I can stay comfortable.  But this time around was a lot better for my play.  Most of all, I had fun!  The course was set-up very tough as it should be, but it was manageable and fun to work out how to play it.  I didn't get upset over bad shots because I expected them to happen.  But I made a lot of great putts for par.  I made some poor birdie putts though.  I'm on a good trend from last year though.  So next year will be a 70.  :)    Even par made it to sectionals this year which surprised me a lot. I really expected scores to be lower.  I did play with a guy who shot a 71.  He played well, but mainly he was able to recover from his mistakes better than I was, and his approach shots gave himself better birdie opportunities.

Congrats, but wouldn't the right thread be your second open? ;)

:adams: / :tmade: / :edel: / :aimpoint: / :ecco: / :bushnell: / :gamegolf: / 

Eyad

Congrats, but wouldn't the right thread be your second open? ;)

I was too lazy to make a new one... :beer:

Philip Kohnken, PGA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

• 1 year later...
On 5/17/2015 at 4:34 AM, phillyk said:

I was too lazy to make a new one... :beer:

Hey Phil.  Just noticed your photo... 'tis the old #18 at Eaglemont when Mike was still the head pro.  I'm up in Bellingham but play Eaglemont on occasion.   You should prepare for local qualifier rounds by practice putting on only the downslopes on the practice green.  Eaglemont's got those.

4 hours ago, Double Mocha Man said:

Hey Phil.  Just noticed your photo... 'tis the old #18 at Eaglemont when Mike was still the head pro.  I'm up in Bellingham but play Eaglemont on occasion.   You should prepare for local qualifier rounds by practice putting on only the downslopes on the practice green.  Eaglemont's got those.

Yes indeed it is! I'm the assistant at eaglemont. The greens arent as quick and dont break as much as qualifier greens. But in the end, its more about hitting the green in the first place for these tournies. 

Where do you play mostly?

Philip Kohnken, PGA

6 minutes ago, phillyk said:

Yes indeed it is! I'm the assistant at eaglemont. The greens arent as quick and dont break as much as qualifier greens. But in the end, its more about hitting the green in the first place for these tournies. 

Where do you play mostly?

We've probably met... while you were swiping my credit card.  I put in a lot of practice at Lake Padden... I live just above Fairhaven so it's about a 6 minute trip.  But I play most of my rounds at Shuksan, North Bell or Avalon.

Note: This thread is 2663 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!