IGNORED

My first US Open Qualifier experience

phillyk
Note: This thread is 2663 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Well I thought I’d share my experience from my first US Open Qualifier I played in.  Sadly, I did not make it on to the next round.  I attribute this to 2 things, putting and ball striking.  Putting was really 90% of it though.

By any chance, was it the qualifier that was at Tumble Creek Club?

Deryck Griffith

Titleist 910 D3: 9.5deg GD Tour AD DI7x | Nike Dymo 3W: 15deg, UST S-flex | Mizuno MP CLK Hybrid: 20deg, Project X Tour Issue 6.5, HC1 Shaft | Mizuno MP-57 4-PW, DG X100 Shaft, 1deg upright | Cleveland CG15 Wedges: 52, 56, 60deg | Scotty Cameron California Del Mar | TaylorMade Penta, TP Black LDP, Nike 20XI-X

By any chance, was it the qualifier that was at Tumble Creek Club?

yup!... beautiful area! haha!

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

So what did you end up shooting?

I'm just gonna go with not good enough to qualify, because that is all that really mattered. It was a rough day for me.

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

I'm just gonna go with not good enough to qualify, because that is all that really mattered. It was a rough day for me.

I'd ask that you reconsider. There are a lot of people here who have NO idea just how hard it is to compete at that level. You're a +2.4 hcp, and even though it was a bad day for you, I think it can put a lot into perspective for the average 10 handicap guy who thinks he's 3 shots and 2 putts away from greatness!

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

I know what he shot... I am not the type who usually does this but as a +2.7 handicap there is no way you should have shot what you shot. I am surprised. We have two amateurs in St. Louis who are +2 to +3 and one of them qualified, the other shot 78. I am a 0.0 now(just changed) and I shot 79 and we only had two guys in a field of 120 who shot par or better. A +2.7 SHOULD have a ceiling of shooting a 75 and on really bad days a 78-79. I am not going to say what you shot but lets just say that a +2.7 who is 3 strokes away from tour level shouldn't have shot anywhere near that. Do you have any other tournament rounds you have played in? I am surprised there is no investigation by the USGA..Anyways, not meaning to do this but I know too many guys who only put their best rounds into their GHIN and it gives them their BEST of the best rounds for their handicap.

I know what he shot... I am not the type who usually does this but as a +2.7 handicap there is no way you should have shot what you shot. I am surprised. We have two amateurs in St. Louis who are +2 to +3 and one of them qualified, the other shot 78. I am a 0.0 now(just changed) and I shot 79 and we only had two guys in a field of 120 who shot par or better. A +2.7 SHOULD have a ceiling of shooting a 75 and on really bad days a 78-79. I am not going to say what you shot but lets just say that a +2.7 who is 3 strokes away from tour level shouldn't have shot anywhere near that. Do you have any other tournament rounds you have played in? I am surprised there is no investigation by the USGA..Anyways, not meaning to do this but I know too many guys who only put their best rounds into their GHIN and it gives them their BEST of the best rounds for their handicap.

There is no reason someone like Ricky Fowler should shoot an 84 on a Sunday either.  It was the guy's first qualifier, and I would imagine that there is a lot going on that could affect one's game in that situation.  You may be right about this, but then again we were not there either.

Nate

:pxg:(10.5) :benhogan:(4W):titleist:U500(3UI) :benhogan: Icon(4-PW) :edel:(52/58)

:odyssey:Putter :snell: MTB Black  

So your saying some people will do this type of index manipulation just so they can enter these qualifiers?

Rich C.

Driver Titleist 915 D3  9.5*
3 Wood TM RBZ stage 2 tour  14.5*
2 Hybrid Cobra baffler 17*
4Hybrid Adams 23*
Irons Adams CB2's 5-GW
Wedges 54* and 58* Titleist vokey
Putter Scotty Cameron square back 2014
Ball Srixon Zstar optic yellow
bushnell V2 slope edition

So your saying some people will do this type of index manipulation just so they can enter these qualifiers?

Absolutely. And typically the USGA will investigate and get signatures from a club pro after a poor round to ensure that everything is okay. I have heard of a club pro having to send in signatures for shooting an 83.

There is no reason someone like Ricky Fowler should shoot an 84 on a Sunday either.  It was the guy's first qualifier, and I would imagine that there is a lot going on that could affect one's game in that situation.  You may be right about this, but then again we were not there either.

Shoot an 84 on a Sunday to win a tournament is one thing. That is one round out of 1000 that he shoots a score like that. I have never seen a score over 76 from our local amateur who wins everything at a +3.3. It could be a fluke for sure.. just wanting to see some other tournament rounds. I am only being skeptical because I see it everywhere. Look at US Open local qualifying and look at the bottom 10 scores of every qualifier. If you see an 84 on tour, unless its EXTREMELY tough conditions, you only see one score that high. If you see 10 guys with handicaps under 1.4 shooting 90-110 something is up.

• Upvote 1

I'm not sure I agree with the questioning here, but since @phillyk is being a little vague... I guess I understand.

On the flip-side, I would love more details if you would reconsider withholding your scoring, phillyk. I would love to know how well you fared in terms of GIR, FIR, total putts, your score, etc. I think this information is fascinating, regardless of how well you played, because it gives everyone a better idea of the conditions and your experience in general. I am very sorry that you did not play to the level that you know you are capable of, but the information is still definitely interesting to many of us hacks.

Here is what I did.. to shoot 79: I hit 8 of 13 fairways, hit 7 of 18 greens and had 32 putts with two penalties. Besides driving the ball, the numbers are horrendous. That is my concern.. a guy who holds on to a +2.7 who is having a bad day STILL gets up and down for Par or Bogey and stays away from the big numbers. That is how it goes, that is why the high scores are so hard to believe.

http://ghintpp.com/maga/TPPOnlineScoring/StrokeCard.aspx?id=191&pid;=11419

Here is what I did.. to shoot 79: I hit 8 of 13 fairways, hit 7 of 18 greens and had 32 putts with two penalties. Besides driving the ball, the numbers are horrendous. That is my concern.. a guy who holds on to a +2.7 who is having a bad day STILL gets up and down for Par or Bogey and stays away from the big numbers. That is how it goes, that is why the high scores are so hard to believe.

I sort of see where your going with this, I play alongside occasionally someone who ranges from +2.4-+3.4 and his highest score is an 76 on a slope of 139, for him to shoot anywhere north of 80 is going to be a very bad day I would think.

Rich C.

Driver Titleist 915 D3  9.5*
3 Wood TM RBZ stage 2 tour  14.5*
2 Hybrid Cobra baffler 17*
4Hybrid Adams 23*
Irons Adams CB2's 5-GW
Wedges 54* and 58* Titleist vokey
Putter Scotty Cameron square back 2014
Ball Srixon Zstar optic yellow
bushnell V2 slope edition

Ah, momentum must have been a roller coaster ride for you.

I think if I was +38 like the fella in last place, I may reconsider participating in additional events in the future. That's just me though and I don't mean that in a snide or condescending way either.

There is no reason someone like Ricky Fowler should shoot an 84 on a Sunday either.  It was the guy's first qualifier, and I would imagine that there is a lot going on that could affect one's game in that situation.

My thoughts as well.

Shoot an 84 on a Sunday to win a tournament is one thing.

And for all we know, this is exactly the same thing.  Like @cipher said, it was his first qualifier.  Isn't it perfectly feasible that he could be as nervous in a US Open local qualifier as Rickie Fowler is on a Sunday on the PGA tour?  Perhaps even more?

My thoughts as well.

And for all we know, this is exactly the same thing.  Like @cipher said, it was his first qualifier.  Isn't it perfectly feasible that he could be as nervous in a US Open local qualifier as Rickie Fowler is on a Sunday on the PGA tour?  Perhaps even more?

I get where you are coming from.. only reason why I asked to see some other scores. It was my first qualifier too.. I know what its like, which is why I bring it up.

I get where you are coming from.. only reason why I asked to see some other scores. It was my first qualifier too.. I know what its like, which is why I bring it up.

I think that is fair and in light of his vagueness...

Nate

:pxg:(10.5) :benhogan:(4W):titleist:U500(3UI) :benhogan: Icon(4-PW) :edel:(52/58)

:odyssey:Putter :snell: MTB Black  

Note: This thread is 2663 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!