IGNORED

David Duval

BallMarker
Note: This thread is 3510 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Lovin' how we're all on first name terms with "David". Makes me feel all warm and fuzzy - like I know him personally.

Like you know him personally or you, personally know him?

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I don't see why it bothers you. I mean, we're not trying to convey we have some sort of personal connection. This is the "David Duval" thread, we can call him "David". We're just trying to shorten it so we don't have to say "David Duval". I've called him Duval or DD more than "David". Don't be cheesing yo. Word Out Son.

Lol. I saw this in the teaser and immediately thought, "this must be a response to something @Shorty said." Ha Ha. Nailed it, BINGO! :banana:

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Lol. I saw this in the teaser and immediately thought, "this must be a response to something @Shorty said." Ha Ha. Nailed it, BINGO!

Heh heh :-P

Cool scenario: The other day I was at a tournament and we were  watching Duval's group.

We caught up with some friends who'd been elsewhere.

I said

"Hey, we've just been watching David playing. He's wonderful!"

He said, "Well we saw Stephen playing and he bombs it".

Another chimes in - " Ian was putting the lights out!"

For the grumpier than me types, my point is that unless it has a "Sergio", "Rory", "Phil" or "Jack" ring to it, it sounds pretty lame, dontcha think?

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

Heh heh :-P Cool scenario: The other day I was at a tournament and we were  watching Duval's group. We caught up with some friends who'd been elsewhere. I said "Hey, we've just been watching David playing. He's wonderful!" He said, "Well we saw Stephen playing and he bombs it". Another chimes in - " Ian was putting the lights out!" For the grumpier than me types, my point is that unless it has a "Sergio", "Rory", "Phil" or "Jack" ring to it, it sounds pretty lame, dontcha think?

I think this is all ridiculous. ------------ "Learn a lesson from The Eaze, stay in your place and don't step to Real Mutha****in G's"

Riley

The sad thing about Duval, is that he didn't seem to really enjoy what he had when he was good. When he won the British Open, he felt kind of let down. He expected to feel more. I don't know if it was just injuries, or lack of motivation that hurt him, but it seems like the game has passed him by.

How can game of golf pass you by...especially at such young age (he was still in his 20s when he won the Open)? I mean, the fundamental golf swing hasn't changed in like a million years. ;-)

In my bag Driver: Cleveland CG tour black Fairway Woods: Diablo Octane 3 wood; Diablo 5 wood Irons: Mizuno MP53 5-9 Hybrid: Cobra 3, 4 T-Rail Wedge: 46* Cleveland, 50* Cleveland, 54* Titleist, 60* Titleist Putter: Odyssey protype #6 Ball: Maxfli U4/U6... But I'm not really picky about the ball I use.

How can game of golf pass you by...especially at such young age (he was still in his 20s when he won the Open)?

I mean, the fundamental golf swing hasn't changed in like a million years.

Yes.

And he was the kind of player who, had, he remained #1 for a while would have inspired very few players to take up the game.

He was boring and uninspiring endomorph behind the robocop glasses - and I have no issue with eye protection.

But, sure, he could play. Can't now, so what? Nor can Tiger Woods.

The main reason for my dislike of him (not really dislike ) is when he said he was going to "look Tiger in the eye and see what he is made of" or something similar before being ground into the dust by him.

Im not going to argue with you but thats also why so many people love him still. He reminded people of a Sunday golfer. Not super flashy or wild personality.

However I always loved the look. The Oakley wrap around glasses, the swing! When I was in high school I had to have those glasses when I was on the golf team. He basically got me into the game.

He had an element of Mystery to him always.

If you dont like him find another thread.

• Upvote 1

How can game of golf pass you by...especially at such young age (he was still in his 20s when he won the Open)?

I mean, the fundamental golf swing hasn't changed in like a million years.

If people look more into his past he was simply not satisfied after winning the open. He also let injuries pile up. Until he met his wife years later he didnt feel complete as a person. He was shooting in the 80s seemingly every tournament.

He showed some flashes late in 2000s but still looked too large and not as healthy.

This year the swing is generally the same but he looks super fit like he did back in his top years.

Overall his fight and love for the game is strong and you can see it from what he posts on his twitter. His career is a long story but you can sum up a good 5-7 year chunk after the Open win as injuries and soul searching.

Im not going to argue with you but thats also why so many people love him still. He reminded people of a Sunday golfer. Not super flashy or wild personality. However I always loved the look. The Oakley wrap around glasses, the swing! When I was in high school I had to have those glasses when I was on the golf team. He basically got me into the game. He had an element of Mystery to him always.  If you dont like him find another thread.

EXACTLY, what I was going to put. However, for me it was Elin Nordegren's nine iron that made me love this beautiful game. [quote name="xDerekRx" url="/t/74614/david-duval/40_40#post_1041883"] If people look more into his past he was simply not satisfied after winning the open. He also let injuries pile up. Until he met his wife years later he didnt feel complete as a person. He was shooting in the 80s seemingly every tournament. He showed some flashes late in 2000s but still looked too large and not as healthy. This year the swing is generally the same but he looks super fit like he did back in his top years.  Overall his fight and love for the game is strong and you can see it from what he posts on his twitter. His career is a long story but you can sum up a good 5-7 year chunk after the Open win as injuries and soul searching. [/quote] He was simply taking a vacation.

Riley

Update on his Fedex ranking

Looks like hes going to finish possibly even 202

Kevin Foley and Doug Labelle played good rounds today and have moved up quite a bit. I dont see both of them dropping on Sunday.

Pretty much leaves him with a hope that he can squeeze into the field with WDs or perhaps other factors.

Even if he doesnt get in I would assume he could get into a few of the fall tournaments and or Q school

Update on his Fedex ranking Looks like hes going to finish possibly even 202 Kevin Foley and Doug Labelle played good rounds today and have moved up quite a bit. I dont see both of them dropping on Sunday. Pretty much leaves him with a hope that he can squeeze into the field with WDs or perhaps other factors. Even if he doesnt get in I would assume he could get into a few of the fall tournaments and or Q school

I alway knew Kevin Foley would **** David Duval in the ass one of these days. Saw it coming.

Riley

I alway knew Kevin Foley would **** David Duval in the ass one of these days. Saw it coming.

I actually just read an article on the web.com tour site that says Paddy isnt going to play in the Web series and hes in the 125-200 range.

Not sure how that all works but it seems like that would allow the next person in. I have to imagine there is more than 1 player like that.

WEB.com tour also might find another exemption for him. Duval would bring the biggest crowd and sell some tickets on Web tour events. Would be smart of them :)

I actually just read an article on the web.com tour site that says Paddy isnt going to play in the Web series and hes in the 125-

Heads up! Shorty is throwing shit at you for using his first name!

Riley

Heads up! Shorty is throwing shit at you for using his first name!

No - :-)

It's only names like Mark, David, Peter, John, Michael, Robert, Paul etc. Ones that can cause confusion. (And yes , I know the title of the thread).

You are permitted to use first names if they are clearly identified with the player.

As a general rule, unless you are a friend of someone or they are universally known by their first name, you call them by their surname. ;-)

Certainly in sports.

P.S. I noticed that Kevin had a great day today!

No -  It's only names like Mark, David, Peter, John, Michael, Robert, Paul etc. Ones that can cause confusion. (And yes , I know the title of the thread). You are permitted to use first names if they are clearly identified with the player. I noticed that Kevin had a great day today!

Ohhhhhh. I fully understand. James Michael Furyk had a nice year, ma****a. Czar of golf name rules: Does this apply to last names as well?

Riley

Ohhhhhh. I fully understand. James Michael Furyk had a nice year, ma****a. Czar of golf name rules: Does this apply to last names as well?

Did you notice the emoticons?

Note: This thread is 3510 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!