IGNORED

Should I start a Handicap??

HittNRunn
Note: This thread is 3620 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hi all. New to Sand Trap. I've been playing off and on for 5 years. Just playing with buddies. Never thought I would be good enough to play in tournaments by myself or track my handicap. The last couple of years I hovered around 90's to high 80's. Bogey golfer. I have had flashes of a great game but it would leave as fast as it came. I have always been a good putter. My best score ever was a +12. I recently bought a very nice set of used forged irons and everything just clicked. The last 3 outings I have been dialed in. I literally cut 10 strokes off my game +6, +7, and +5. Should I start a Handicap index? I don't think that I'm going to play any tourneys in the near future. I would hate to make my buddies feel like they aren't keeping up with me. They were playing before me and have always been trying to improve their game. They are all bogey+ golfers.

Welcome to the forum @HittNRunn .

If the cost is not an issue, an official handicap is worth it IMO.  I started posting scores two years ago and don't regret doing it even though my league did not require it.  Because it is official, there is no guess work if you want to do a fun tournament or scramble or even join a league.

If you do get one, I have a bit of advice.  Don't obsess about the number!  It can get easy to obsess about lowering your HC and that puts too much stress on you when you play.

So join the club!  Most of us are bogey golfers striving to be better because we love this game.  I have a GHIN number through a local course that I play a lot.  I post all my scores on line and update my HC on my profile here when it changes.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Hi all. New to Sand Trap.

I've been playing off and on for 5 years. Just playing with buddies. Never thought I would be good enough to play in tournaments by myself or track my handicap.

The last couple of years I hovered around 90's to high 80's. Bogey golfer. I have had flashes of a great game but it would leave as fast as it came. I have always been a good putter. My best score ever was a +12.

I recently bought a very nice set of used forged irons and everything just clicked. The last 3 outings I have been dialed in. I literally cut 10 strokes off my game +6, +7, and +5.

Should I start a Handicap index? I don't think that I'm going to play any tourneys in the near future. I would hate to make my buddies feel like they aren't keeping up with me. They were playing before me and have always been trying to improve their game. They are all bogey+ golfers.

ABSOLUTELY!  It's the single best way to track your own progress and allows you to compete on a somewhat level field with players of varying skill.  Unless all your buddies are exactly the same skill level, I'd recommend that everyone do so, and you'll find your friendly competitions that much closer and more enjoyable.

Here's one rather long, on-going thread on the subject......

Welcome to the site! :beer:

• Upvote 1

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

I can't imagine not keeping a valid handicap for no other reason than tracking the state of my golf game.

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

Unless you're going to play in tournaments, you don't need one. You can keep track of your progress by keeping your own records.

Not true at all. A lot of "recreational golfers" keep handicaps because they enjoy a friendly game amongst themselves and prefer to play on a reasonably level playing field, even though they have different levels of skill.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Lots of guys I play with don't have official handicaps but they do enter each score into an iPhone app that keeps track for them.   That's what we use when having some friendly bets.  My HC is official but only because I play in a member guest where it's needed.   So you can keep your own for tracking your improvement or you can get an official one.  It's purely up to you.   The number will be the exact same as long as you use an app that does it right.

I would say "yes". I retook up the game last year myself and started keeping an official handicap. I think its a great way to track your progress. As a side benefit, having a handicap (along with being on this forum) has also forced me to learn the rules of the game since I didn't want to post bad numbers. I think that too will help my game in the long run.

Note: This thread is 3620 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!