IGNORED

Can't stop casting!! Please help!

Note: This thread is 3599 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I've tried it all. Last thing I did was buy that your striker. Hitting it well and still casting. So that thing is a bust. Don't have any vids worth putting up but I lose my lag when my right hand is at just before my hip. I'm a righty. Any advice would be great. Sick of being a 90s golfer due to casting. Thanks!!

In my Ogio Blade Stand Bag:

TaylorMade Burner 10.5*

Adams Insight BUL 15*
Taylormade RBZ 3H

TaylorMade RBZ 4-AW

Vokey SM4 54-11

Cleveland CG14 58 2 dot wedge

Ping Karsten Series Craz-E putter

Top Flite Gamer

I've tried it all. Last thing I did was buy that your striker. Hitting it well and still casting. So that thing is a bust. Don't have any vids worth putting up but I lose my lag when my right hand is at just before my hip. I'm a righty.

Any advice would be great. Sick of being a 90s golfer due to casting.

Thanks!!

http://thesandtrap.com/t/66573/how-to-effectively-create-lag-on-the-downswing

Rich C.

Driver Titleist 915 D3  9.5*
3 Wood TM RBZ stage 2 tour  14.5*
2 Hybrid Cobra baffler 17*
4Hybrid Adams 23*
Irons Adams CB2's 5-GW
Wedges 54* and 58* Titleist vokey
Putter Scotty Cameron square back 2014
Ball Srixon Zstar optic yellow
bushnell V2 slope edition

If you hit well, it is very unlikely that you're casting, especially if you are so aware of it Can you tell us your distance on say 7- iron ? I see lots of ppl think that they are castin, but they're not and swing beautifully, maybe release a lil bit early sometimes Typical casting is grounded, slice, low distances Good luck sir ;-)

My my 7i is a jaded number.  It's a taylormade RBZ AND I'm at 5,000 feet above sea level in Denver.

My 7i is 170-175, again.  I'd imagine at sea level that would be 10-15 yards less??

I swing easy, i aim in front of the ball, but I'm not consistent.  Went to the range after my round today and attempted to take a vid.  It sucked, but what I did notice was an early release and standing up at impact......

If i try to purposefully hold that 'lag angle' as long as possible, I block my shots right or hit a block fade..

all my drives today were block fades

TaylorMade Burner 10.5*

Adams Insight BUL 15*
Taylormade RBZ 3H

TaylorMade RBZ 4-AW

Vokey SM4 54-11

Top Flite Gamer

My my 7i is a jaded number.  It's a taylormade RBZ AND I'm at 5,000 feet above sea level in Denver.

My 7i is 170-175, again.  I'd imagine at sea level that would be 10-15 yards less??

I swing easy, i aim in front of the ball, but I'm not consistent.  Went to the range after my round today and attempted to take a vid.  It sucked, but what I did notice was an early release and standing up at impact......

I'm pretty sure that the RBZ is designed to get the ball up, and 160-165 yards at sea level are pretty good distances. Could be too flexible a shaft too.

What specific things make you think that the high ball is the cause of your high scores?

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Try to purposely "cast" the club and see if that the same feeling as if you swing normally. Man you hit harder than me :-O If you cast, u will most likely lost balance and your finish will probably akward and feel so unbalance Maybe post a video, so guys here can accurately identify if youre casting or not. But i bet my first trophy underwear that you are not casting if you hit that far :-D Cheers

If i try to purposefully hold that 'lag angle' as long as possible, I block my shots right or hit a block fade..

all my drives today were block fades

Yeah that would be the worst way to go about it. You're casting because of one or more of the following reasons: your grip, weight location, sequencing, it's not due to an inability to "hold" lag. More than likely it's a Key 1 or 2 issue, I would tend to lean more towards Key 2. Check this out

http://thesandtrap.com/t/66573/how-to-effectively-create-lag-on-the-downswing

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Well I tried casting on purpose and it sure doesn't feel like that's what I do in my swing.  Worked on some stuff at the range today.  A more pronounced "turn" on the takeaway and more pronounced weight shift on the down swing.  Seems to have fixed my problems up the 5 iron.

Taking nice deep divots again , super high shots, and bombing them with no effort.  Felt really good.

Problem is my 5i, 4i, and RBZ 3H.  Can't hit those worth a damn still.... Not sure whats going on there.

Driver was also fine.

Felt good to hit really good shots again, lemme tell ya!  Now i have to pound balls every day so ingrain that feeling so I'm not thinking about it on the course.  This is the year I hit single digits boys!

TaylorMade Burner 10.5*

Adams Insight BUL 15*
Taylormade RBZ 3H

TaylorMade RBZ 4-AW

Vokey SM4 54-11

Top Flite Gamer

Well I tried casting on purpose and it sure doesn't feel like that's what I do in my swing.  Worked on some stuff at the range today.  A more pronounced "turn" on the takeaway and more pronounced weight shift on the down swing.  Seems to have fixed my problems up the 5 iron.

Taking nice deep divots again , super high shots, and bombing them with no effort.  Felt really good.

Problem is my 5i, 4i, and RBZ 3H.  Can't hit those worth a damn still.... Not sure whats going on there.

Driver was also fine.

Felt good to hit really good shots again, lemme tell ya!  Now i have to pound balls every day so ingrain that feeling so I'm not thinking about it on the course.  This is the year I hit single digits boys!

Just to add one thing from seeing your avatar pic. Make sure to turn the left foot out, makes it much easier for the left knee to flex forward and "press" into the ground longer.

Mike McLoughlin

Thanks man, I really need to change that avatar.  That was when I joined in 09 :)  I have since fixed my setup thanks to you guys!

TaylorMade Burner 10.5*

Adams Insight BUL 15*
Taylormade RBZ 3H

TaylorMade RBZ 4-AW

Vokey SM4 54-11

Top Flite Gamer

Thanks man, I really need to change that avatar.  That was when I joined in 09 :)  I have since fixed my setup thanks to you guys!

Ok cool, just making sure ;-)

Mike McLoughlin

:)

TaylorMade Burner 10.5*

Adams Insight BUL 15*
Taylormade RBZ 3H

TaylorMade RBZ 4-AW

Vokey SM4 54-11

Top Flite Gamer

Driver was also fine.

I have the same problem you seemed to describe. I call it casting too but it doesn't seem to be the traditional type. Watching it in not so slow-mo video I don't cast from the top I think I cast from the L position back down. I have tried everything. My new theory is I am losing my spine angle going back(lifting up) then driving back down to start the down swing while of course my right arm gets into my side, then I think I start to lift back up again which makes my right arm start driving down early. But those are just my random thoughts and I have been trying  so much who knows if my new idea will work.

When you say more pronounced turn on the take away what do you mean?

James

I have the same problem you seemed to describe. I call it casting too but it doesn't seem to be the traditional type. Watching it in not so slow-mo video I don't cast from the top I think I cast from the L position back down. I have tried everything. My new theory is I am losing my spine angle going back(lifting up) then driving back down to start the down swing while of course my right arm gets into my side, then I think I start to lift back up again which makes my right arm start driving down early. But those are just my random thoughts and I have been trying  so much who knows if my new idea will work.

This shouldn't say the L position. It should say I seem to cast from the toe up position with the shaft parallel to the ground.

James

If you hit well, it is very unlikely that you're casting, especially if you are so aware of it

Can you tell us your distance on say 7- iron ?

I see lots of ppl think that they are castin, but they're not and swing beautifully, maybe release a lil bit early sometimes

Typical casting is grounded, slice, low distances

Good luck sir

nope, not necessarily.  its not hard to play to an average level with a well timed flip.

Try to purposely "cast" the club and see if that the same feeling as if you swing normally.

Man you hit harder than me

If you cast, u will most likely lost balance and your finish will probably akward and feel so unbalance

Maybe post a video, so guys here can accurately identify if youre casting or not.

But i bet my first trophy underwear that you are not casting if you hit that far

Cheers

again, not necessarily.  why would someone lose their balance by throwing the club a little early?

Colin P.

Err, im not pro, but i ve seen more ott rather than casting, especially the op sounds like he can hit the ball quite well, so maybe it was OTT, although ive seen some ppl being a flipper still can play decent round :-D most ppl based on my small experience tend to lose balance if they cast from the top, but still like you said a well timed flip might not, but then again, it just an opinion. This is golf, everything is a " Not neccesarily" :~( Cheers

I'm guessing something like this. Making a "full" turn while keeping the head steady helps the golfer swing OUTward or less INward. When a player doesn't turn enough the arms will tend to lift in order for the swing to feel powerful. Next move is to shift the lead arm out and/or uncock the wrists at too fast a rate.

Very tough to swing out while not turning and lifting the arms. You can tilt back on the downswing but then your contact will be all over the place (reason for lead arm shifting out). Even then, the more you tilt back the more you can wipe across it.

Mike McLoughlin

That is exactly right @mvmac !  I wasn't turning enough on the takeaway and got VERY "armsy".  I focused on turning through the takeaway and really transferring my weight and whatya know?  Back to bombing 8 irons :)

What a great forum!! :)

TaylorMade Burner 10.5*

Adams Insight BUL 15*
Taylormade RBZ 3H

TaylorMade RBZ 4-AW

Vokey SM4 54-11

Top Flite Gamer

Note: This thread is 3599 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!