IGNORED

high bounce

Note: This thread is 3600 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I had my vokey 56* bent to 60* recently. That moved the bounce from 10 to 14. I was told it might be hard to hit because of the unusually high bounce (titleist doesn't even produce a 60* in 14* bounce).

But I hit the club incredibly well. I haven't had a bad pitch, chip, or swing with it in the 36 holes i have played with it. It is my favorite club now.

Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this..I'm thinking this is all due to my swing or height (I'm 5'5'').

Maybe all my wedges should have 14* of bounce :-D

WITB:

Driver:

Titleist Pro Titanium 905T, 9.5*, Graphite Design, Regular

Irons:

Ping i5, 5i-W, Stock Steel, Regular

Wedges:

Mizuno MPT4, 50*, Dynamic Gold Spinner

Titleist SM5, 56*, Dynamic Gold S200

Putter:

Day to day

Bounce can certainly be your friend. My 58 degree has 22 degrees of bounce and the way that it is designed it is extremely easy to lay open and play floppy pitches. There are a number of discussions on this site regarding this topic. Look for the ones with @mvmac and @iacas hitting flop shots off a green.

Brandon Fox

Rochester, NY

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I had my vokey 56* bent to 60* recently. That moved the bounce from 10 to 14. I was told it might be hard to hit because of the unusually high bounce (titleist doesn't even produce a 60* in 14* bounce).

But I hit the club incredibly well. I haven't had a bad pitch, chip, or swing with it in the 36 holes i have played with it. It is my favorite club now.

Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this..I'm thinking this is all due to my swing or height (I'm 5'5'').

Maybe all my wedges should have 14* of bounce

Yep bounce is your friend. The "harder to hit" advice is wrong.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Wow.  22 degrees of bounce on a soup spoon might work but on a golf club?   And then lay the club face open?  I suspect the ball pops up 2 feet and runs only 1  That's more skill than i have.

Fourteen degrees of bounce is indeed a bit higher than average, but I think the question is how you set up and swing the club and what conditions you play in.  If you hit most of your pitches with a lot for forward shaft lean you are de-lofting and removing some bounce, and if you play on fluffy grass and sand more bounce is your friend.  Bottom line, ultimately, is whether you are happy with the club and it performs for you.  Grats on finding a combo that works for you!

Driver: Titleist 913 D2 10.5*, Aldila RIP Phenom 50

Fairway 1: Titleist 913F, 17*, Titleist Bassara W55

Fairway 2: Titleist 913F, 21*, Titleist Bassara W55

Irons: Titleist AP1 714 5-PW, Aerotech Steelfiber i95

Wedges: SCOR 4161 48/52/56/60, Genius 9

Grips: GolfPride New Decade Red Mid-size on all of the above.

Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2 - Super Stroke Slim 3.0

Wow.  22 degrees of bounce on a soup spoon might work but on a golf club?   And then lay the club face open?  I suspect the ball pops up 2 feet and runs only 1  That's more skill than i have.

Not all bounce is created equal.  The sole is can have 22 degrees of bounce, but also has areas milled away or its slopes away differently.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Fourteen degrees of bounce is indeed a bit higher than average, but I think the question is how you set up and swing the club and what conditions you play in.  If you hit most of your pitches with a lot for forward shaft lean you are de-lofting and removing some bounce, and if you play on fluffy grass and sand more bounce is your friend.  Bottom line, ultimately, is whether you are happy with the club and it performs for you.  Grats on finding a combo that works for you!

bounce can be good on hardpan and tight lies as well...

• Upvote 1

Colin P.

Not all bounce is created equal.  The sole is can have 22 degrees of bounce, but also has areas milled away or its slopes away differently.

Correct, like with the Edel wedges, you have a lot of bounce but the leading edge isn't elevated off the ground.

bounce can be good on hardpan and tight lies as well...

Yep....

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Correct, like with the Edel wedges, you have a lot of bounce but the leading edge isn't elevated off the ground.

Well I learned it from you teacher! :whistle:

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Note: This thread is 3600 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!