IGNORED

Most Embarrassing Moments on the Course?

jakepalm
Note: This thread is 1298 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

most embarrassing moment, at the driving range I suppose....

I tried to make a drill for myself, to try to prevent hitting down with the driver so much...

so I had bought a pack of new balls, and put the empty box about clubhead width ahead of the range ball which I'm going to hit...

The purpose of the empty package slightly ahead of the ball is to give feedback whether you are hitting on the upswing... or not

So I smash at the ball...

package goes flying about 10 yards into the practice range, target ball is topped and flies about 100 yards... :loco:

• 4 years later...

I’d have to say my 1st match my sophomore year of high school. I was starting as our #3 man after only being an alternate 2 times as a freshman. I hit a perfect 3 wood down the middle. I’m 155-160 out. At the time is a perfect 6 iron for me. I then hit 5 straight OB from the center of the fairway. Then I finally punch a wedge short. Blade a chip over the green.... OB again. So with 6 balls OB on the hole I end up taking a 16 for the hole. Wound up making par at 2 but the damage was done with that 1st hole.... 

Also my senior year we are headed to the inter county tourney. I’ve been out #1 man for 2 years. It’s my last tourney in high school. We are eating at McDonald’s on the way there. I go to rip a fart.... yup shit myself. Had no backup boxers with me. Had to play my last 18 free balling. Every once in a while my dick scraped my zipper on a swing and eventually all the guys in my group knew what happened so I had to deal with the jokes all day. Managed to shoot 78 that day tho.... 

• Like 1

Ping G400 9 degree driver, 3 Wood and 3 Hybrid, Ping 2016 G 4-UW,  Ping Glide Forged Pro 52 degree, Ping Glide 2.0 WS 56 degree, Ping Craz-E Putter, Titleist Tour Soft balls

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On 5/19/2014 at 9:25 AM, jakepalm said:

What is the most embarrassing thing that has ever happened to you on the course. Whether it be something hilariously funny or truly disturbing to those around you, the more unique the better. We all screw up at some point while we are on the course or the range, this thread is a great place to tell your story...and to make the rest of us not feel as bad about our own moments.

This is easy. 2016, the Member-Member championship at my club. 

My partner was the reigning club champion. The format was 9 hole matches (5 of them), we were in the championship flight. I was playing at an 8 course hcp at that time and my partner was a 2 I think then. So we were giving strokes in every match, but won every match. A clean sweep. We had one match that was close, but most of them we just rolled. As sometimes happens when you play with someone who is really good, I sort of picked up on his rhythm or something, and I played better than my hcp, with three 9 holes gross scores under 40, a 41, and a 42. The 42 was the only 9 where I didn't shoot better than my handicap. 

So we won our flight easily. I thought we were done, and I was hungry and wanted to go in and eat and buy drinks for people. Then the pro announces there will be a "playoff for overall champion." Oh. Ok, well, I can play another match or whatever. This will be easy, we just need to beat the guys in the other 3 flights. 

The format for the playoff was alternate shot - a format not used at any time in the tournament - and the handicapping was done without strokes but with tee placement.

So we were the only group to hit from the blue tees. My partner drove for us. I usually would out drive him if I hit a good one, but I was also much more likely to hit a really bad drive, so he insisted he drive for us. He hit a great drive. But we were into the wind on a par 5 with the second shot a forced carry over water.

Still, I felt fine. It's not like I didn't know the hole or expect the shot. This hole is our 18th, and as I walked up to the ball I felt confident. I had just faced pretty much the same shot in our last match, playing my own ball. It is not a problem clearing the water distance-wise, but it is a shot that requires a good strike because it is a tight, downhill lie. But as I said, I had just hit about the same shot - maybe 10 yards shorter - in my last match, had cleared the water by at least 50 yards on a so-so strike, and I was playing probably the best I'd ever played. 

As I got ready to hit the shot, I noticed someone move in my peripheral vision, so I backed off for a minute. When I did, I saw that many of the members had come out to watch the playoff, probably 75 guys, easily the most I could remember watching me. And it was silent. Nobody playing on any other holes. The Pro there watching everything. All the other groups on the hole, etc.  

The next few moments seem, in my memory, to have transpired in some type of twilight zone. I don't remember taking the club back. The sole of my club hit the turf behind the ball and bounced-skidded forward, the leading edge of the club striking somewhere above the ball's equator. The ensuing shot - a sickening, topspin-bouncing-gaining-speed-down-the-hard-dry-hill-toward-the-water abomination - easily found the water.  I wanted to follow the ball into the water. 

My partner was a great guy about it. He made a consoling joke that the only thing he was mad about was that I'd lost the ball that he'd used the entire day. He dropped and hit a perfect hybrid about 210 uphill onto the green and left me about a 20 footer. The putt didn't get close to the hole and we bogeyed and lost to another group who made a par.  

I recovered, but boy was that a bad way to end a tournament. 

JP Bouffard

"I cut a little driver in there." -- Jim Murray

Driver: Titleist 915 D3, ACCRA Shaft 9.5*.
3W: Callaway XR,
3,4 Hybrid: Taylor Made RBZ Rescue Tour, Oban shaft.
Irons: 5-GW: Mizuno JPX800, Aerotech Steelfiber 95 shafts, S flex.
Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM5 56 degree, M grind
Putter: Edel Custom Pixel Insert 

• 4 months later...

I can think of 3, in order from least to most embarrassing:

1) I was playing with my usual foursome of my dad, brother, grandpa and me. I was in the greenside bunker on 18, caught way too much ball and sent it 25 yards over the green. I then made a triple.

2) On 14, I was playing with one of my friends who teases me whenever I hit a bad shot. My second shot was with a 5W, and I take a big swing at the ball and miss it completely.

3) My dad and I were playing together and on the par-3 third, about 150 yards, I shank a 7I right near the 8th green, which was 40 yards to the right of the tee.

With this game, I’m sure y’all have had those kinds of moments.

WITB:
Woods: Cleveland Launcher (Driver, 17 degree, 22 degree)
Irons: Titleist T200 (4-PW)
Wedges: Callaway Jaws (50/54/60)
Putter: Odyssey White Hot

For pretty much the entire round I was behind a threesome as a single.   The course wasn't too crowded, and as the round progressed they were falling a little behind each hole the foursome in front of them.   The course doesn't have any parallel holes and there is pretty much always some kind of drive between holes, so it wasn't easy to see how far behind they were, and if I could just go around them until after I finally did.   They started with people on the green while they were on the hole, but after a while, when I pulled behind them they didn't have anyone on the hole in front of them.

Quite frankly they were very rude.   I pulled up a couple of times while they were on the tee box and they didn't even say anything, let alone play along or go thru.   For some reason, I think a ranger must have told them, they waved me thru on 16.  I fanned one out to the right leaving myself an uphill shot to the green.   I drove down and they didn't even say anything, wave, nothing.   So I quickly pulled a club and wanted to get out of there.   I ended up rushing, hitting my cart with the ball and it dropped right there.   I simply picked up my ball, got in my cart and went to the next hole.    I didn't see anyone on the last two holes, so they had some room in front of them.

But yeah, I finally get to play thru and that happens.

—Adam

People that don't let singles play through are the worst. I have a fast tempo and can walk 18, playing well in around 2 hours. When people don't let me through (if the rest of the course is open) it really gets on my nerves and messes with my game because my tempo is thrown off. If the course is packed, I'll just try to play with another group but I prefer fast solo rounds.

I've played with plenty of cheaters/rule breakers, and I pretty much just ignore it (even though I despise it) and tell them that I will be holing every ball and keeping my own score.

• :titleist: 917 D2 9.5o EvenFlow blue shaft    :titleist: 917 F2 15o EvenFlow blue shaft    
  • :titleist: 818 H2 19o EvenFlow blue shaft 
  • :titleist: 712 AP2 4-PW
  • :vokey: 52/8o SM6 RAW    56/14o SM6 Chrome      60/4o SM6 Chrome
  • :ping: Anser Sigma G putter
  • :snell: MTB-Black Balls

Nothing like topping it ten yards off the first tee with the cocktail hour of a huge wedding on the patio. That was the first year I took up the game again since I played in high school and it almost made me quit again.

Another favorite. I was playing in an away club team match. I was in a greenside bunker on the 18th hole and boned the shot toward an adjacent parking lot. It was going to hit either a Toyota or a Benz and I was cheering for the Toyota but it hit the Benz and dented the hood. My opponent pulled up to the green in his cart and I told him what happened and he immediately asked which car I hit. Of course, it was his car.

Edited by phan52

Bill M

I was playing with my son and a friend of mine about 10 years ago when my son looked like he does in my avatar. It was a short par 4 with a 90° dogleg right that demands that I tee off with a 7i. My son was waiting in the cart off to my right and a little ahead of me since he would hit from the forward tees back then. My hosel rocket was embarrassing instead of tragic because it merely passed through the cart instead of hitting my son.  He still won't let me live that down.

War Eagle!

A friend of mine had a delayed embarrassing moment. 

We played in a company league that had a end of season 2 person scramble.  I frequently partnered with a female friend who not only was fun to play with, she got the advantage of the red tees that helped us out on a few holes. As this was a scramble, there was a lot of beer involved. When we got to the furthest point from the clubhouse, she had to pee. This is a redneck golf mecca, so a lot of guys would pee in the woods and she decided she had to as well. A few days later we were at the lake with a group of friends and she showed us all the rash all over her inner thighs from where she had squatted on some poison ivy.

And there was the time when I was driving the cart and took such a hard left turn that she tumbled out of the cart. And the time when we were returning the cart after a scramble and I was standing on the back of the cart holding a beer and fell off.  But I never spilled a drop.

War Eagle!

2 hours ago, The Flush said:

Southern Ohio is practically Kentucky or West Virginia anyway. It's all Appalachia. 

Thanks ya all....😉

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

The Red course at Bethpage, (no I don't play the Black), first tee has a drop off right in front of the tee box. I'm playing with my boss and his boss and they put money on the game. The tee box is surrounded by a gallery of people watching. I'm told to show everyone the way, i.e., tee off first. Well I set up to the ball and proceed to top it and it rolls down the hill, then the ragging started.... I'm still haunted by that event.

On 5/27/2014 at 11:39 AM, zeus1356 said:

ONE TIME I WAS IN THE MIDDLE OF THE COURSE AND I HAD 2 CRAP WITHOUT NO OUTHOUSES NEARBY SO I TOOK A SHIT IN THE SAND TRAP AND BURIED IT AND LUCKILY NO ONE SAID ANYTHING 2 ME AT THE CLUBHOUSE WHEN I FINISHED PLAYING  OMG I WAS SO EMBARASSED

I don't think it's that embarrassing taking a crap, especially if no one saw, BUT ANNOUNCING IT ON THE INTERNET IS. 

On 5/29/2014 at 12:56 AM, jakepalm said:

I never would have thought a thread started by myself would end up with people shitting in bunkers..I need to start lowering my expectations.

No, just drop your drawers, pinch a loaf.

Note: This thread is 1298 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!