IGNORED

First year of golf

oneyear
Note: This thread is 3622 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hi,

I'm coming up on my first year of golf. I've had a few lessons and practice regularly. The only consistent club I can count on is my driver. For a while I was hitting longer irons and hybrids straight, but now they are hooking to the left. Pitching comes and goes. Why are my driving range practices so much better than when I am out on the course? Do you golfers out there find consistency?

Hi,

I'm coming up on my first year of golf. I've had a few lessons and practice regularly. The only consistent club I can count on is my driver. For a while I was hitting longer irons and hybrids straight, but now they are hooking to the left. Pitching comes and goes. Why are my driving range practices so much better than when I am out on the course? Do you golfers out there find consistency?

Welcome to a great game. This is a common issue among many golfers, primarily new golfers. The reason being, at the range, you have no true motive other than to hit some balls and have some fun. When you get onto a course, you are trying to score. Second, and most importantly, at a range, you are hitting into a 150 yd wide field with nothing to judge your shot by and on the course, you have a 30 yd fairway you need to stay in.

Next time you go to the range, pick a flag and hit at it. Be no more than 10 or so yds to the left or right of it. Then you will know if you truly are achieving your goals of hitting well.

On the course, relax. You are new to the sport. Do your best to have 3 solid putts, 3 solid tee shots, 3 solid chips, 3 solid long iron shots, 3 shots where you stick the green 150-100 in your 18 hole game. Let those shots allow you to enjoy yourself rather than staring at a terrible score card.

Hope this helps. Have fun.

Dylan

Twitter: @d_brock504

Note: This thread is 3622 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!